Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok so this is a bit soon but yes, it cut out again just now!!! I’m lost for words. So to recap. Crank shaft sensor done. Cam sensor done. Sparks done. Throttle body cleaned twice. Ecu replaced. So other than replacing every relay, i can only try having the fuel system tested? This is now getting to the point of financially not worth it..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry I can't offer any words of wisdom / advice. You've certainly had a bit of an ordeal with this problem. I understand what you mean about it being not worth it financially. My own '06 Picanto has been really excellent, but I suspect it will be some kind of 'untraceable' fault like yours which decides its eventual fate.

Modern (if you can call an '06 model modern) cars are normally incredibly reliable, but if they do go wrong, it can be very frustrating and expensive to try and fix them.

I hope you can get it sorted out (cheaply).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok so following advice from “professionals” (yeah right..), on top of what we’ve done so far, main relay replaced, ignition switch replaced, new TPS, new MAP sensor, new coil, plugs and leads, auto transmission fluid changed, PCV cleaned and tested, vacuum hoses all tested, idle control valve replaced, torque converter stall tests carried out (pass). Earth points and know wiring loom vulnerable areas checked (Kia’s own advice!). Guess what? It cut out again when releasing the foot brake in Drive and attempting to press accelerator. Dead. Instantly. Move to N and she starts first time every time. So original title of thread is wrong. Was trying to start in D! But why is it still cutting out??? Surely we are at the end of the road for this 57k Picanto....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok so following advice from “professionals” (yeah right..), on top of what we’ve done so far, main relay replaced, ignition switch replaced, new TPS, new MAP sensor, new coil, plugs and leads, auto transmission fluid changed, PCV cleaned and tested, vacuum hoses all tested, idle control valve replaced, torque converter stall tests carried out (pass). Earth points and know wiring loom vulnerable areas checked (Kia’s own advice!). Guess what? It cut out again when releasing the foot brake in Drive and attempting to press accelerator. Dead. Instantly. Move to N and she starts first time every time. So original title of thread is wrong. Was trying to start in D! But why is it still cutting out??? Surely we are at the end of the road for this 57k Picanto....
FINAL update on this Picanto. Kia recommended a new throttle body. Suggesting the old one was “warped”... so, final investment I did this and also replaced injectors at the same time. Cheap from China. All good for three weeks then boom, stalls again. Done it twice now. That’s it. We’re done with this car. Going to scrap it and cut out loses. Cheap parts, cheap vehicle and it shows. Nothing else left to check/replace to explain this random stall...

·
Registered
90 Posts
You've not had much luck with this despite considerable perseverance. Can't blame you for getting shot of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You've not had much luck with this despite considerable perseverance. Can't blame you for getting shot of the car.
Yeah, pity... however, can’t get rid yet as battery dead now. Brand new. So I guess maybe alternator.. need to charge the battery first and test but can’t get even move it... joy...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, pity... however, can’t get rid yet as battery dead now. Brand new. So I guess maybe alternator.. need to charge the battery first and test but can’t get even move it... joy...
So a further update. Can’t believe there are still Picantos of this age out there with this issue... so... I decided once and for all to check the Crank sprocket for the dreaded wear issue. Kia say this car is NOT in the VIN range of course. Followed the procedure posted years ago on here (very good forum!) and low and behold.. crank sprocket moving about 10 degrees on end of crankshaft... so aside from a battery drain, I reckon this is the cause of all the trouble... got a new sprocket on order. Crankshaft itself looks good and checked with a micrometer. Will probably add some liquid metal too. So fingers crossed this fixes the old girl for a few years! Will post a final update once all fitted. One bit of advice though.. anyone know how to easily lock the engine (automatic gearbox) without the dreaded string approach in cylinder 1? All tools to
Lock flywheel seem to be diesel only... cheers..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thought I’d keep up the replies for history sake... so new sprocket fitted and all good. Runs much better. But she stalled out on the first test drive. But only once warm!! So other than going around and trying every fuse and every relay( which effectively costs nothing, and a fuel pressure test again, maybe some wire and pcm and ecu conncector checking, perhaps if I can get them off, check the oxy sensors, we’re done with this car. No codes as usual... scrap value is £150 as of jan 2021.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts