Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the market for a practical small car to buy new and own for 10+ years. Kia makes a lot of sense with the warranty and the Rio looks like a great value proposition. That said, recent reviews and detailed information has been frustratingly sparse.

Please may you lovely people provide me with some insight into the merits of the 1.0 T-GDi vs 1.25 engines. The turbo retails for £1k more, but real world fuel economy is worse. Therefore, what other benefits are there except for power/torque/6th gear? What are known problems of both engines?

I know that the 1.25 is old, but surely that means everything is known about it by now. If it's reliable and economical, then I can't justify paying the premium for the 1.0 T-GDi. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can't give you a direct comparison in the same car but I did have a 1.25 in a previous shape (2013) Rio and I currently have a T-GDi. So...

The 1.25 is a nice smooth engine, it's variable valve timing which means you have to rev it quite hard to get decent performance. That said I used to average close to 50 mpg no matter how badly I treated it.

The T-GDi is a typical 3-cylinder in that you notice it's quite growly at low speed and under acceleration, but performance is a lot better provided you keep the turbo spinning - this sometimes means holding a lower gear for longer. I'm averaging around 48 mpg on a car that's just over a year old. On a long run I've had close to 60 mpg on a couple of occasions.

I haven't had a problem with either engine but note that, like all Kias in my experience, they don't deliver their best performance and economy until they have 6,000+ miles on the clock.

The choice is really going to come down to how you're going to use the car. If you're doing a lot of longer trips or spending a lot of time on the motorway then go for the T-GDi. I'd also suggest trying to test drive both because they are quite different driving experiences.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As IanB said above, but I will add after having both, and driven the 1.4mpi as a curtesy car.

1.25 you need to give it some revs for it to be happy or it bogs down. averaged 48mpg
1.4 is very much the same as the 1.25 but has a little bit more smoothness in lower revs didnt work mpg as only small miles, while car in for service.
1ltr T-gdi 118bhp very capable engine goes very well, mpg is about 50mpg driving steady, can get it to 60 on a flat long trip,
1ltr T-gdi 99bhp as the 118 version but can return mid 50s driving steady, i took one for a 140 mile round trip and averaged 68mpg

If it was me, I'd get the 99bhp T-gdi with 6 speed box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. What are the gear ratios like for 1.25 5MT vs 99bhp 1.0 6MT?

E.g. revs at 70mph? Is it happiest at top of 3rd at 30mph, or tolerates 4th?

I'm arranging some test drives and may be limited by available stock.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Its like anything it depends on where your driving etc,

They are probably close to each other with the ratios, the 6th is just a tad longer than the 5 was and hence better on the motorway imo.

dont think i would entertain a 1.25 after driving the turbo version though.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
The better half has had 2 x Hyundai i10s and currently has a 2020 Picanto, all with the 1.25 engines. She (and I) tried the 1.0T engine and it wasn't as 'nice' to drive as she doesn't like to rev the engine so much, so the turbo doesn't work as well. Only you know your driving style, so only you can decide which engine suits your needs. Bigger engine, more torque at lower rpm and 'easier' driving. Turbo, more power at mid to top end - so how do you drive?

Reactions: Cold Sausage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone curious, I found this: 1.2 Kappa Engine

Key points:
  • In general, the 1.2 engine is a successful drive, providing good dynamics with reasonable fuel consumption. The only thing that can be accused in everyday use is excessive noise after exceeding 3,500 rpm
  • ... it is an almost failure-free engine (including high durability of the piston and crank system, cylinder bearing surfaces, piston rings, chain timing drive)... We also haven’t heard of any problems with tensioners or gears
  • Manual gearboxes (each with 5 gears) are durable, well-graded, and work fairly accurately
No dealers near me have any stock for testing, but I'm currently leaning towards the 1.2. It's still got 50% more torque than my current car and I don't want a 3 cylinder turbo. Anyway, with 20 week lead times, I don't have to make a decision until at least April for September delivery.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
We bought one at 6 months old with only a couple of thousand miles on for a very well discounted price.
There's quite a few about and 'she' is still happy!
Happy wife, less strife!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts