Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought some spare oil a few months back just in case I was ever in a situation where I needed to top up the oil level between services. The oil level that was recommended for my car and engine on everything I had read was 5w30 A5.

kia has now release a spec sheet on there website with all the different recommended oils for each engine. Now when I look at my one, this list states that the oil I should be using is 0w30 C2.

on no site visited does it state to use this oil so I bought what was recommended. Will I now have to get rid of the oil previously bought and buy the other oil in case a top up is needed or would the oil I have be ok and be able to be used without any issues?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The number before the w is the temperature rating, it is the viscosity of the oil in lower climates. You wont see much difference between the 0w and 5w in our part of the world. 0w is a bit thicker and just makes its easier to pump temperatures well below freezing.

It will be fine, you will probably find the garage who did the service put in 5w30 anyways as its cheaper. You could always ring the garage who did the service to confirm what they used :)

Edit Having a look round all I can see is the 5w30 A5 recommended oils, where did you see the new recommended list? I would ring my friend at Opie but they arent open currently :(

·
Registered
445 Posts
Now when I look at my one, this list states that the oil I should be using is 0w30 C2.
Confused by that since all the "C" spec oils are low SAPS oils which are primarily for diesels with a DPF. There is nothing in them that would prevent them being perfectly OK in a turbo petrol.

Perhaps its just Kia trying to get one oil spec that suits all their vehicles to reduce dealer workshop stocks and eliminate the chance of the wrong oil being used.

When we had our Ceed in the handbook there was a page that gave teh oil specs for all their and I would presume they still do that. If the handbook states 5w30 A5 I would continue to use it since it is what the handbook states. Even if the spec has changed all oils mix and adding a small amount of 5w30 A5 will make no difference whatsoever to the car.

But if your car was a diesel with a DPF adding 5w30 A5 could well cause issues later.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the answers. Yes Stonie that’s exactly what I’ve found. When I put my reg number in any website, whether it be Halfords or euro car parts and stuff like that they all state the same that my car is 5w30 and A5.

the first time I’ve seen anything different was on the official Kia site where they’ve posted the oils for all cars and engines. Here’s the link:

But sounds like from your answers if I do need to top up at all then it would still be ok to use the oil I have?

thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just spoke to my friend at motor factors and they are listing a 5w-30 and said they probably used 0w-30 when it came out of the factory, then used 5w-30 after its first service. He doesn't recommend mixing the oils unless you were in a real tight spot (oil on min). But again without knowing what is in the engine you could get 5w30 and they have put in 0w-30. Phone the garage you had service done and be sure, they will be the only people who will know for sure. Its not worth the risk.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just spoke to my friend at motor factors and they are listing a 5w-30 and said they probably used 0w-30 when it came out of the factory, then used 5w-30 after its first service.
The days of factories filling with a different grade died out when the 600 mile oil change died out. The oil stays in for 20,000 miles in some cases these days and using the non-recommended (by themselves) grade for the first fill is nonsense.

He doesn't recommend mixing the oils unless you were in a real tight spot (oil on min).
Mixing oils is not an issue, they are all compatible these days. And remember that when a change is carried out some oil is left in the sump, head and galleries and this probably exceeds the amount a small top-up puts in.

I would suggest you use a different factors where the staff know what they are talking about. If he knows this little about oil I hate to think what other nonsense he tells customers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would suggest you use a different factors where the staff know what they are talking about. If he knows this little about oil I hate to think what other nonsense he tells customers.
He is a service engineer and has been for the past 30 years, he knows what he is talking about. The oil is not just a different grade but of a different spec. I personally wouldn't mix oil with newer engines as they are made within a certain tolerance, especially with the 1l engine with the turbo. But hey we can all have a opinion :) Just I wouldn't personally mix and rather put in whats in there. Just trying to help on here no point in coming in and shooting people down.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I double checked the manual for my car and it states what everywhere else states that it’s 5w30 A5. This is what every website I’ve seen also recommend for car.

wonder why Kia link states 0w30 C2? Like was posted here, this is a low saps oil for diesels so not sure why they would recommend for a petrol. Only thing I can think is they’ve simply made a mistake on their web page?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, a quick update on this. Kia on here Via PM confirmed that they had spoken people concerned and that they have confirmed that 0w30 C2 is the only oil they would recommend for the car.

I still don’t understand this though as the hand book clearly states 5w30 A5 is the recommended oil so why now would they say not to use the oil recommended and use a different oil now. Does this mean I need to get rid of the oil I have and purchase the other oil?

the thing is, not all owners are going to visit a forum and will go solely based on what’s printed in the handbook so they will all be using an incorrect oil if they now do not recommend using the oil that is printed on the hand book and is the oil that is recommended on the various car websites such as Halfords etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts