Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very close to buying this second hand from a Kia dealer. Test drove well. Seems a very nice car - just wondered what you guys think. Good car? We have two kids and this would be our first MPV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi who2005,I have an 09 LS 7 seat auto, bought new in August 09, now with 40,000 miles. It has been a super vehicle but a few points;
1. Don't expect fuel consumption anywhere near what the literature says! I average 41-43 over the month with a mix of town, country roads and dual carriageways but around town only 30/35 if I'm lucky. For me thats fine as its still better than I got with my previous car.(I took it to the south of France last June and averaged 47.8mpg from leaving home to getting back with lots of 60mph on cruise control!)
2. If you search this forum you'll see people complaining about the EGR valve - it can go faulty and manifests itself as if its "missing" around 1600/2000 revs. There was a fix for it late last year and since then mines been fine. Get the dealer to confirm its had the latest software upgrade and has the "new" EGR body. I had to have mine changed at 6000 miles and the "new" body was put on at 28000 miles.
3. You do need to do a longish run every week or so if most of your mileage is short trips as otherwise the DPF doesn't re-generate - you'll know when its regenerating (burning off the deposited gunk) by either the smell or watching your consumption drop for around 10 miles or so.

Other than having the EGR valve changed and a replacement radio mine has been faultless. It does its job, is comfortable,fast enough for me and luckily I have a very good local dealer. I see you're in Ringmer so you have Viking Kia within reach - Viking Paul posts on here regularly and they seem to have a very good reputation.

I'm sure others will add their comments, but I'm satisfied and my brother in law bought one based on my experience and says its the best tow car he's had. He's not had a hint of EGR trouble!

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
161 Posts
agree with he above post.if your going to do clear runs..they are great.i had 2nd hand 07 ls crdi auto..all sorts of problems related to dpf,and very low mpg..as bad as 23/24.mainly down to stop/start driving in town.on clear runs closer to 38/40.due to my needs and the lower mpg,around town,and the rgen for ever going,bit the bullit and sold it.great car solid build,all the toys,loads of space for the kids,and forgiving interior.i paid out and had the side bars and rear spoiler added and it looked peach and got many admiring looks and positive comments.was gutted when i px'd it.but could not afford the fuel bill.now drive 1.6 crdi man soul.same driving routes and style am getting around 38/42 mpg,which is still way under published figures but around what the honest salesman said i would achieve.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought they went: S,SR,GS,LS with LS the top spec. As its KIA tho' they kept changing them! Compare the specs on this forum under the Carens heading in the Kia Model Range at top of the page. There's a link to it about 3 down .It's no use looking on the Kia UK site as they list specs for the new 2011 model due any time.The most popular model seems to be the GS.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quiltman has it spot on. I've owned 2 of these (manuals not autos), brilliant cars, extremely comfy, great road holding, fab leg/head/shoulder room, big boot (ideal for kids) etc etc but would I have another one? NO!

Simple reasons:

The dpf problem is inherent on that engine & a pain in the a$$ to deal with.

Mpg is apalling,I averaged 25mpg around town & 35 on a run, book reckons 36.2 urban & 50+ extra urban but the truth is far removed from that.

I'd wait til the new 1600 diesel has been out for a year (so tried & tested) then opt for one as the package is fab other than the engine.

I've reverted back to a Mk2 Carens for now, no comparison in "driveability" but urban mpg is now 30+ & I managed just under 50mpg on a steady run down to Devon + some urban sightseeing tripslast week.

Mark.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to agree with Supacabby. although my carens MKIII is running fine,If the EGR plays up again I'm thinking of changing it in a year for the new model whilst there's still two years warranty left.The only problem is that the new Carens3 - equivalent to the current LS- has got rid of a couple of the bits I like such as the rain sensing wipers and folding mirrors. So,they get leather seats! I don't like leather for car seats!
Just to back up Supacabby again, over the weekend and today I've only used it around town and my scangauge says the average MPG is 30.1. Tomorrow I've got to do two runs (I do volunteer car ambulance driving) totaling about 150 miles, mostly on the A1 and by the end of the day I can guarantee the average will be up to about 40MPG.So far this month my onboard computer says I've averaged 42.3mpg - I reset it on the first of the month.This month so far I've done just under 2000 miles.

It's a shame that the engine spoils it, but KIA/Hyundai had to add the EGR & DPF in order to get it to meet the Euro IV emissions and in the process have rather messed it up! They're not the only manufacturer to have this problem tho', Vauxhall have had thousands of Astras and Ford thousands of Mondeos with similar problems as they all use the Bosch CRDI system.

In conclusion then, if most of your runs are urban then I suggest you look elsewhere and go for petrol, if you do regular longish runs then being aware of the MPG and especially if you have a good dealer then it should be ideal for what you want.

Like all vehicles who2005,the vast majority of owners are happy with their choice, forums do tend to have a preponderance of negative posts!

Only you can decide. As I said before, other than the EGR problems I'm more than pleased with my Carens, but I've also got a superb dealer who doesn't assume they always know better!

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
Who2005: If you're in Ringmer, East Sussex then send me a pm with your contact details if you need any more info, I'm in Brighton & would be happy to chat over a coffee with my experience of owning 5 Carens!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just done a deal for the Carens '09 2.0 CRDi Auto GS for £7,995.00 at a Kia Dealer. I pick the car up on Saturday.

Thanks for all the comments for and against. I have decided to trust my instincts and go for it. It's a lovely car, fits the bill for me, my wife, two kids and mum (occasionally!) and I can't wait to drive it off that forecourt! It will be being driven to Somerset at Easter and Czech Republic in July!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is thatonefrom Tates at Pyecombe I wonder? They had a choice of 3 colours at that price when I last went in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts