Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, bought my Sorento from a pretty untrustworthy dealer, car was previously used to tow a caravan for a lot of its life it seems, but has a thorough service history, including replacement turbo and some sort of engine rebuild in '19.

Anyway, I bought it with a lack of power issue (stupidly, I know), thinking it was hopefully something straightforward having read as much as i can here, on the proboards forum and on FB. Car drives okay up to 2k RPM at which point power DROPS, and the engine just produces black smoke and no power. It's reluctant to start too (turns over well) and runs kinda lumpy when increasing RPM in neutral.

Turbo was shot, lot of oil in the intake (looks like it's come from the crankcase ventillation pipe). I blanked off the EGR, boost pipes and intercooler removed, checked cleaned and replaced, inc new T-bolt clamps, turbo CHRA replaced with a new Mellett one. Injector leak off seems uneven but not dramatically (~10-20% variance). Torque app is registering positive pressure (~10psi), but the boost gauge (fitted a barb to the intake manifold) shows nothing at all. VGT actuator seems to move correctly (fully down on idle which I believe should mean max spool?).

Rather at my wit's end here. EGR, IC and turbo are the common failures and are all sorted as far as i can tell.

Here is a Torque log from yesterday, just driving up the estate and back
Pictures of the leak off testing. I'll have a go at the injector crush washers this weekend, see if that helps starting at least, and reduce blowby, although still not sure how that works

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
The injector copper seal washers prevent exhaust gas leaking into the oil and thereby contaminating it..this causes the pickup tube filter in the sump to become blocked thus preventing oil flow...this usually causes the turbo to fail closely followed by the engine seizing ...very serious.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Look at intercooler located below radiator often find hole due to corrosion or stone hole looses pressure from turbo hence black smoke. Also check all the hoses from turbo to intake manifold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copper washers were likely failed, the injectors were all disgusting.
The top of the 'holes' were grim too, not helped by what looked like a lot of silicone from whoever replaced the cam cover last.
I'll send the injectors off to be checked properly.
Have seen recon ones on ebay. Anyone know if they 03-06 are different from 07-09?

I plan to do the sump drop as soon as i can move the car again to get it over a pit.

Intercooler has been off and checked as well as i can, I expected it to be faulty but seems fine. Hoses again all removed, cleaned up, i did try pressure testing the system but i was doing it from pre-turbo to the intake manifold which just forced the air through the turbo seal and into the head!

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
Doing the sump is not to bad on your back..you have to drop the front diff/axle a bit and tie it up als0 the cross member...take time removing the sump which is siliconed on so as not to distort it (flat scraper and strong knife....well worth changing the oil and filter 2 or 3 times after to clear and residue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My collarbone hasn't healed yet, working on my back is a no-go still!
But appreciate the advice still, I may just do it on the driveway still next month.

Have Loctite 518 still from my Saab engine build, guessing that would be better than normal silicone for the sump

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
It's special silicone that's oil restist in a small tube..instructions say leave overnight to cure....also regarding the sump..keep the small 6mm screws in order, they are different lengths..1/4" drive socket, extension and knuckle for some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So car is making boost but still resistant to acceleration, somewhat like it's misfiring around boost kicking in. Still smokes, and still doesnt much like starting. Going to change the pressure reief valve to see if that helps the starting anyway.

Got a few things to try but really running out of ideas now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still trying to get this car to run properly, it boosts up to peak of about 23psi according to my Torque Pro logs.
But at around 3000rpm the actuator pulls back, and boost is cut.
Is the turbo making too much boost and the ECU pulling it back?
I'm having trouble getting any data from anywhere on this sort of thing, what boost level they're supposed to produce!

Turbo was replaced with a second, used but genuine one, glow plugs all replaced for Bosch wich sorted the starting issue.
First cat replaced with a 3" 'test' downpipe.

It's going to the garage tomorrow to have the injectors coded hopefully, and a proper smoke leak test

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.