Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Took my recently aquired '04 Sedona (2.9 ltr CDRI) auto on a long trip the other day. Got it back on the driveway - stopped it. Few minutes later when I tried to restart it wouldn't. The engine was turning over healthily, but the orange "IMMO" was lit up and it wouldn't fire. Tried locking, unlocking but same thing. Eventually I found I could get it to start (and run absolutely fine) if I:<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Turned engine over<BR itxt="1">Pressed footbrake<BR itxt="1">Moved selector lever backwards and forwards P <> R <> N repeatedly while turning over<BR itxt="1">(all simultaneously)<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Stopped the car and had same problems starting it again, but managed to get it fired up doing what I described above and drove it straight to the dealer. Again, to reiterate that once started it ran perfectly<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Now the dealer said that this morning it started first time, but that their diagnostics show a fault with the camshaft position sensor - and this will need replacing as first port of call.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Questions: <BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Is it likely that the camshaft position sensor not working would cause the car to not start in this way?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">What should you see in regards to the "IMMO" light on the dash? Should it be illuminated when things are ok?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">What (if as I suspect it's a problem with the immobiliser components - not the camshaft position sensor) are likely culprits on the sedona?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">My main concern is it comes back with a shiny new camshaft sensor, appears to be fine but then we get stranded when it wont start next time.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Thanks anyone for any help. At home now with a four day old new-born baby and no car :-(<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Cheers<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Nick

·
Registered
887 Posts
Had a few cam sensors play up, immo light should go out on cranking, usually the antenna around the ign barrel plays up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is a 'limp home' procedure outlined in the handbook allowing you to start the engine if the key transponder fails so you shouldn't worry about getting stranded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes read that about the "limp home" bit. But it says the IMMO light should flash or something? Mine was coming on "IMMO" in orange and staying on while I turned the car over. Also where do you get the code for the limphome? Is it the same code thats in the little booklet with the alarm override code, or the same code as written on the metal tag with the keys or something else altogether?

Does the IMMO light coming on and staying over when cranking mean that it has succesfully read the transponder and is ok, or does it indicate a problem reading it/ fault with the system. The manual that comes with the car is clear as mud!

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's back from the dealer with a new camshaft position sensor and *touch wood* so far so good. Starts on the key everytime. Loving the new car, is perfect for me and my "tribe" :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts