Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 2.9 diesel Sedona has gone and lost third and fourth gears.
1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse are all fine. Thus the clutch system is good.

The gear lever shifts into the slots for 3rd and 4th but there is no drive when you lift off the clutch.

The Kia servicedepartment I phoned instantly said it was the cables.

Can anyone confirm this?

How do I get to the bottom of the gear lever to check out the cables and linkagebefore I lay out £180 for a pair of cables?

Cheers for any help

Pat

·
Registered
141 Posts
if it was the cables at fault you wold have no gears at all as the same cables do the other gears aswell.
sounds more like the pin on the sellector shaft for 3rd /4th gears has sheared.

if you remove the air filter and get sombody to go through the gears ( engine not running )

you will see the selector shaft moving but there is more in side the box.

Edited by: dmc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After further diagnosis by placing the levers on the top of the gearbox into 3rd and 4th there is still no drive, thus it's gearbox out time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
exactly i have had this on peugeot gear boxes and it was always 3rd and 4th gear selection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally have the gearbox out.
I can confirm that there is very little room for the gearbox to come out of the top of the engine unless you can remove the fuseboxes and all cables.

You can remove the gearbox by 'just' removing the subframe nuts on the Nearside, loosening the steering rack and undoing the subframe nuts to the bottom of the bolts on the Offside. The subframe can then fall far enough to squeeze the gearbox out of the NS wing.

The clutch can be changed without removing the gearbox from the engine bay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<a href="http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/BigBlueBus_110/Kia%20Sedona%20engine%20removal/IMG-20111205-00041.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
I took the lid off the gearbox and found that 5 of the bolts holding it on were rounded off before I started and a chuck of the casting was missing.... reconditioned gearboxes avoid!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/BigBlueBus_110/Kia%20Sedona%20engine%20removal/IMG-20111205-00041.jpg
</A>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gearbox is split and what did I find???

A roll pin lying in the bottom. Somehow it fell out of the 3/4 gear linkage. (?!)

So a 2 pence part disables the vehicle.

Time to put it all back together.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Patman1200 said:
The gearbox is split and what did I find???

A roll pin lying in the bottom. Somehow it fell out of the 3/4 gear linkage. (?!)

So a 2 pence part disables the vehicle.

Time to put it all back together.
Thats normally the case with gearboxes, its always one small part that stuffs them up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally I have the Sedona back together. It was always going to take a while due to constant colds and flu's, freezing temperatures and general apathy.
Going for MOT tomorrow so I will see if I have bolted everything back together properly.

Can anyone suggest the best place to get the aircon re-gassed from empty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts