Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
As I understand it hey get the update free and the £40 is to cover labour.
I got my Sportage in Wakefield but noticed recently that Kia had opened on a new site in Huddersfield, their last one was a nightmare to vist, nowhere to park.
I called i to see if it was fine to have servicing done with them, I'm with Motability, and they said yes, on leaving I asked what they charged for a map update, they said £40 plus 1 hour at £120 an hour, I will not be going there, I will drive to Wakefield, it will be chaper, an hour to update, total rip off.
I would contact Kia Customer Services the charge should only be a Maximum of £40.

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Well, he would do, but how is to find his way there with out-of-date maps?

I know a few people that live in Barnsley.. Their advise. Steer well clear 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my Sat Nav mapping updated, at my request - I only asked for the Maps to be updated, and was charged £20 to cover the Labour time.

Not the most serious problem in the world but it looks like the Radio Software ( and who knows what else ) was updated too, which I hadn't requested, and wasn't informed about, and this has disabled a feature I liked on the DAB Radio "Favourites". Previously my Favourite Stations were stored in numercial positions ( 1 to 10 ) and they could be scrolled through - using the Steering wheel button, in their numerical order, e.g. Fav 1 ( Planet Rock ) then Fav 2 ( Absolute Radio , Fav 3 ( BBC 2 ) and so on, but now all the Favourite Stations are stored Alphabetically and it seems they can only be scrolled through in Alphabetical Order. Like I say it's not the end of the world, but annoying none the less, when my 2 most Favourite Station are Absolute Radio and Planet Rock, which I used to be able to scroll between with a single button click, but now takes several presses to scroll past all the Stations between "A" and "P" etc ! Does anyone know of a way to restore the previous Station Scrolling method ?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just had my Sat Nav mapping updated, at my request - I only asked for the Maps to be updated, and was charged £20 to cover the Labour time.

Not the most serious problem in the world but it looks like the Radio Software ( and who knows what else ) was updated too, which I hadn't requested, and wasn't informed about, and this has disabled a feature I liked on the DAB Radio "Favourites". Previously my Favourite Stations were stored in numercial positions ( 1 to 10 ) and they could be scrolled through - using the Steering wheel button, in their numerical order, e.g. Fav 1 ( Planet Rock ) then Fav 2 ( Absolute Radio , Fav 3 ( BBC 2 ) and so on, but now all the Favourite Stations are stored Alphabetically and it seems they can only be scrolled through in Alphabetical Order. Like I say it's not the end of the world, but annoying none the less, when my 2 most Favourite Station are Absolute Radio and Planet Rock, which I used to be able to scroll between with a single button click, but now takes several presses to scroll past all the Stations between "A" and "P" etc ! Does anyone know of a way to restore the previous Station Scrolling method ?
I don't think you can have just the maps updated.
If I remember rightly on the right side of the station list is a star touch that and it'll go red and and you'll find it in favourites.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 2 ISG 2020
13 Posts
Was yesterday at the dealer, I was refused to update the maps. Since they could not get the sd card, it got stuck inside and they were afraid to break it. So what's now?

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Was yesterday at the dealer, I was refused to update the maps. Since they could not get the sd card, it got stuck inside and they were afraid to break it. So what's now?
You could try yourself?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 2 ISG 2020
13 Posts
I have already tried it, even with pliers, it moves but does not come out ... :(

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
As a rule you need to push them in, then they start coming out. If you are just pulling then it might make it get even more stuck.

Reactions: BarikUK

·
Registered
Niro HEV 4 2019
9 Posts
I contacted 2 local garages recently. One quoted £40 and wanted the car for the day, as it takes up to 4 hours. The second quoted £25, and half to 2 hours depending on how busy the Internet is. They also offered a timed appointment. Bit further to go, but the second garage has several good reviews on this site.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
192 Posts
I know a few people that live in Barnsley.. Their advise. Steer well clear
Oh, it's not that bad......if you keep your windows closed! :oops:
And finding Barnsley with old maps is easy as it hasn't moved much in the last few years, trust me on that one as I live near there!!! ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I contacted 2 local garages recently. One quoted £40 and wanted the car for the day, as it takes up to 4 hours. The second quoted £25, and half to 2 hours depending on how busy the Internet is. They also offered a timed appointment. Bit further to go, but the second garage has several good reviews on this site.
I had a timed update for my last update. 3 hours later I was still sitting there. They took me home and returned the car to me later.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had mine done with the first service. Paid £25. The dealer said when its updating it has to be left alone, it took about an hour after the service to be done. Apparently it generally takes 30_40 minutes but mine was longer. They told the price upfront when I booked it.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
760 Posts
Perhaps people feel a little cheesed off as some companies - like Volvo - provide updates for free?
And some manufacturers provide a seven year warranty for free - unlike Volvo... ;)

Swings-and-roundabouts, isn't it?

[Can't believe this thread is still going]

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
639 Posts
Perhaps people feel a little cheesed off as some companies - like Volvo - provide updates for free?
There are also people who have tried to update it them self and have bricked the unit and have a hefty bill to pay.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage GT-Line S AWD Fusion White Diesel Auto
48 Posts
As did my last car a Hyundai Tucson Premium, I did get my Kia updated during its 12 month service last week, they charged £30, still better than the once before the Tucson, a VW Tiguan Match, they wanted £165 for an update, I carried on using my TomTom with 4 free updates a year.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts