Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Am I the only one who thinks a £25 charge for Sat Nav upgrade is not on when you have just paid a huge sum for a new KIA?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Many may think as you, but why should any garage spend their mechanic's time, and their equipment for no return? Your car is also taking up usable space in their workshop. £25 is, in my opinion most reasonable it's hardly more than a pub meal. I think that my brother in law's Discover Sport costs £160 for a new SD card.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If its brand new, then the Maps should be the latest available and so £25 is a bit of a kicker, however, if you've driven it away and then come back for an upgrade, then £25 is small in the scale of things.

Many might say that you can now get super hand held satnavs with free lifetime maps, so why bother with an integral one that you will keep paying for?

Life is full of little annoyances, but hopefully the enjoyment of your Sporty will make the £25 less of an issue.

Reactions: VauxhallandI

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think the kicker must be some dealers are doing it for free, mine is one of them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
KevinBattle said:
Many might say that you can now get super hand held satnavs with free lifetime maps, so why bother with an integral one that you will keep paying for?
Of course, if its a TomTom, that lifetime ends when TT decide you can't have any more free maps, because technology has moved on, new devices have more memory, and new maps won't fit on your old dinosaur.

Google Maps + Android Auto seems a good way to go.

Reactions: solarpower03

·
Registered
623 Posts
My dealer is another that does it free of charge. I was vocal about disagreeing with the charge but my stance on it has since changed..

So long as the update is actually done (version numbers checked before and after) then £25 isn't a lot to ask to get the latest maps, given that some brands will charge a fortune for the privilege.

I'm another that now uses google maps with the android auto app on my phone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Google Maps Navigation is much better and the maps are always more up to date. By the time the £25 ones are released they're already a year old.

For 2016 owners without Android Auto, install Tucsy Auto on your phone and head unit as detailed in an earlier thread. Then use your fave app on your android phone and mirror it to the screen in your car

Edited by: crankup

·
Registered
623 Posts
crankup said:
Google Maps Navigation is much better and the maps are always more up to date. By the time the £25 ones are released they're already a year old.

For 2016 owners without Android Auto, install Tucsy Auto on your phone and head unit as detailed in an earlier thread. Then use your fave app on your android phone and mirror it to the screen in your car

Or just use the android auto app on your handset, set to open automatically when the bluetooth connects. Better than Tuscy IMO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I find it odd too - it should have been free. At least make it free if your doing servicing from dealer.

Which dealers are doing it free?

I refuse to pay any charge to update Sat Nav. I'd rather use free maps (offline) in phone.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You say "Google Maps + Android Auto seems a good way to go."

So is it free to use? I only put £3 on my phone every 3 years to keep it working and use rarely.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Lancelot1937 said:
You say "Google Maps + Android Auto seems a good way to go."

So is it free to use? I only put £3 on my phone every 3 years to keep it working and use rarely.
There is no direct charge for use, but your phone will use a lot ofdata so depending on your tariff could be expensive.

Edited by: Turnup

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I find Sygic is spot on.
It's not free, but its only £10,
it uses TomTom maps and comes with free map updates.
Maps are stored on your phone so theres no need for mobile data.

Google maps is OK, until you decide on a detour and have no mobile data, which I once found to my displeasure.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It should only be £20 I got charged £30 and complained to kia.the garages gave me £10 back after kia contacted them

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
743 Posts
I was going to post that "in the time it has take me to read this thread, a new Sportage has probably depreciated £25..."

I then realised the OP posted this in 2018. So I guess that Sportage has now almost halved in value; I'd be more sickened by that than £25 for workshop time!

• Haha
Reactions: SiW and iooi

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this topic always does the rounds from how dare they charge to you're lucky its not this brand that charges £200 etc...

But would it not be reasonable given we are paying for workshop time that if your car is having a service (something more than the windscreen washer visual check) it could be chucked in gratis? For instance you've got a major service and they're saying they need to change discs and pads etc all of a sudden they're looking at charging you £300 or £400 surely while the cars on the ramps its not a massive inconvenience?

It would be a nice clever touch from a dealer that appreciates someone buying a car, having it serviced with them (and paying a premium to do so) and hoping to retain them when they come to change.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts