Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the which has had a knocking noise in the rear since it's done about 2k miles. Took it to the Viking in Southampton at 4k miles and they stung me £104 to remove a stone from the suspension! I understand that it's not technically a warranty issue but how does a stone the size of the car key get into the suspension of a 4x4 designed to drive over this sort of terrain?

To top it off they wanted to charge me £8 to use the W reg Rover 45 courtesy car that probably costs less than my monthly repayments on the Sportage. Have to say i'm upset that they couldn't even sort out something as goodwill especially as I bought a set of car matts and was coming back for the boot liner.

On another note I had to laugh when I read the thread about the sound of the horn on here. I first heard my horn while picking up the 4th of 4 football mates (so car was near full). They didn't half rib me for the sound of it! I refuse to use it now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's bad all round.

I had a chat with the service manager at KIA Linwood today and they guy was totally dismissive of what I had to say without even listening to what I had to say. KIA should maybe put sone of their staff on a basic customer skills course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say that I felt that the staff at this branch of KIA seemed to have their hands tied over the £104 (Though they didn't try too hard). So i'm taking that to KIA customer services.

But I generally feel that they need to change the way they are competing with other brands customer services, after all they are doing a great job on their cars and pushing the marketing. But they have a long way to go before After sales match SEAT (The wifes car) and VW (My previous car). Brands they probably should be competing with.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agreed totally, after sales is sadly poor.

Funny when I phone KIA, they say phone the dealer and the dealer says phone KIA. Its only when KIA Europe decide they want to publicise something then everyone finds out.

In fact the service manager advised me to speak to the sales team as they know the cars better!!??

It seems one way as they are a closed shop if you want to contact them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sometimes these things have been in there from new.Many years ago I had a screwdriver trapped between the front coil spring and the inner shock absorber and also a screwdriver left inside of a tyre.These things had not found there own way in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not getting anywhere with Kia customer services. Which is a shame as I really wanted them to prove me wrong but they are lacking in the aftersales department. Guess I'll just have to accept getting charged £104 for a stone.

Kia did however inform me that there are now 3 'improvement actions' available for the FE

-ECU software upgrade ""“ dual mass fly wheel noise improvement
-Rear trailing arm bolt check
-ECU upgrade ""“ (Electronic Power Steering upgrade (EPS)

Might get my running boards and front and rear skid plates at the same time.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't think the SMMT code will help sort out a pebble in the suspension, buta decent dealer should not have charged for sortingsuch a simple problem in the first place. Problem is Kia dealers are independant bussineses and Kia cannot make tham do non-warranty repairs FOC even if they agree with you.A bit of goodwill from Viking would have been far better than all this bad publicity. When willsome dealers learn how to keep customers happy.

My advice is don't go back to Viking, find another dealer that is more helpful.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've hit the nail right on the head there Paul. There are 2 local Kia dealerships to me and the goodwill angle is exactly what would have got me to sign up for the Service plan, and as i've mentioned all the extras I plan to buy.

My original post was made 20 minutes after i'd parted with the cash and out of disappointment/Anger. But now it's lesson learned from a bad experience. I should have walked out of Viking Kia as soon as they said we only have a Rover 45 for you!

I'm seriously in 2 minds now though over getting the wife a Kia Soul. Probably going with plan B, a tried and tested SPAM. (But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Sportage)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another angle....

Dealers are buinesses and existto make money. You asked them to investigate an irritating noise. They found the source, a pebble. Is it the dealer's fault that pebble got there? No. Should you really get it done for free and the dealer loose out? If you had gone to an independant garage would you expect them to investigate the problem for free?

Just a thought

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or another angle, the dealer who is out to make money could have been in a win win situation in charging Kia for the warranty repair as there was a loose nut on the exhaust (there wasn't but Kia didn't know that), they get a happy returning customer who doesn't feel like he got bent over at £67 an hour.

I mentioned in my original post that I didn't see it as a Warranty repair but a car designed as a 4x4 off road car can get a stone in the suspension the size of the key you use to start your car, within 2,000 miles and they can't do it for goodwill? It's not like I spilt Coke on the seat and blamed them, or drove into a wall and wanted a warranty repair.

As soon as my 'Warranty repair' became chargeable then I feel I should have been told. What would have happened if I didn't have £104 to give them? They'd keep the car?

But I wouldn't take it to an independent or Kia without money in the bank. Actually I wouldn't take it to an independent for fear of invalidating my warranty. What choice does that really give me or anyone else expecting a warranty repair.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am not having a go and I totally understand your frustration at paying out for what is a silly little problem that was nobody's fault.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have had a huge number of disappointing dealer experiences (mostly Renault), so much so I now investigate any faults myself and try to roughly diagnose thembefore bookingin. I shouldn't have to, but my experiences have taught me that this is often necessary!

I simply feel your reaction was a little unjust in this case. The car wasn't designed as a 4x4 Off Roader and diagnostics are always chargeable at dealers, unless the fault is a warranty issue. Theincorrect assumption that a faultis a warranty issue will often leave yousore, as you'll usually walk out of the dealers witha lighter wallet and a funny walk!

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car was obviously designed as a Chelsea tractor so why did they bother with hill decent and the ability to lock 4 wheel drive?

Everyone owning a Kia at 7 years warranty should be wary of taking something in based on that they could take as long as they like diagnosing a fault before they realise it's not warranty.

My reaction was based on disappointment and the fact that I expected more from KIA. I work in after sales, not on cars but on watches that cost the price of cars and I guess knowing how we as an international brand would bend over backwards for a customer who has just parted with £20k+ regardless of fault, I feel a bit hung out to dry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You are absolutely right, I've consistantly been disappointed by dealers over Warranty issues and have paid my fair share of diagnostics charges.Over the years I have spent time rebuilding older cars so am now fortunateto have enough mechanical knowledgeroughly diagnose issues.
I will be taking Kia's 7yr Warranty with a pinch of salt as not everything is actually covered for seven years.

Things like the turbo, 4x4 system, braking system, immob, airconetc etc are not included unless there is a manufacturers defect. Try getting them to admit a defect after 5yrs offault freeuse, they will put it down to the old 'wear and tear' excuse and proceed to pulll down your pants!
Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There you go again Arctic Paul. Everything you mention as not being included in the 7 year warrantyis with the exception of brake pads/linings and air con refrigerant (after 2 years). Check your warranty book.

Its very difficult to know at present how the 7 year warranty will actually work after 5 years since the oldest Ceed is not quite5 years old yet. Lets hope Kia don't spend time making excuses insetad of doing the work.

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm, re-read this:

Things like the turbo, 4x4 system, braking system, immob, airconetc etc are not included unless there is a manufacturers defect. Try getting them to admit a defect after 5yrs offault freeuse, they will put it down to the old 'wear and tear' excuse and proceed to pull down your pants!

AgainI am only expressing an opinion.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Arctic Paul

Don't need to re-read it. It may be your opinion but having checked my warranty booklet there is nothing in there about manufactuers defects. What I would like to see is where you are finding this info in the Warranty Book because I cannot find the words "manufacturers defects". There is also no reference to turbo, 4x4 system, braking system, immob, it clearly states that the battery is covered for 24 months, air con refrigerent for 24 months unless there was a defect causing the loss, audio 36 months, paint 60 months plus the usual stuff stating how you must look after the car to maintain warranty cover. Tyres are covered by the tyre manufacturer

At the end of the day a warranty is there to repair problems caused by manufacturing defects is it not.

Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've owned KIAs now for 4 years and never had a problem with my dealer taking responsibility for warranty repairs. My 2008 Sportage has benefited recently from an EGR valve clean and new bushes in the rear suspension totally at no cost to me and the dealer gave me a 'free' courtesy car. The bushes were just after the 3 year point on a 2nd hand car.....who else gives you this sort of service?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Champ2007 said:
Or another angle, the dealer who is out to make money could have been in a win win situation in charging Kia for the warranty repair as there was a loose nut on the exhaust (there wasn't but Kia didn't know that),
Claiming for a non existant warranty repair, Sorry, thats called fraud?!

Although imho I wouldn't have charged your for removing a stone, but each to thier own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts