FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Wireless CarPlay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Springsbok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springsbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless CarPlay
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:29pm
Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie Kia owner and I'm very happy with my new Sorento.

One thing that does confuse me though is the Carplay/Androidplay feature. It only works when the phone is connected by USB cable, there is no wireless CarPlay connection. It's confusing in that the car includes the wireless charging feature for the phone, which seems pointless if I have to plug my phone in anyway. The phone is charged by the USB connection anyway. Am I missing something here?Confused
Sponsored Links

Simon100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Simon100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
No you are not missing anything. Wireless Android auto etc is only just becoming available.

https://www.techradar.com/news/android-auto-finally-supports-wireless-as-long-as-youve-got-the-right-phone

You will have to use the cable for the moment.
Springsbok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springsbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:47pm
Thanks Simon,
I'm guessing it'll be more than a firmware update for the Kia headunitCry
iooi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iooi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:52pm
No, you are not missing anything.

Well it has just been announced that android Auto can now work via wireless, so long as you have a compatible phone & head unit. Last day or two on this.

In fact Apple have supported this for a while.

So the issue is with the head unit and if/when Kia or unit manufacture will upgrade to support it. But given Kia already have a wireless connection option. 
You have to wonder just what is the issue?

Edited by iooi - 15 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
& 16 Picanto @ 48.7 mpg
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Springsbok Springsbok wrote:

It's confusing in that the car includes the wireless charging feature for the phone, which seems pointless if I have to plug my phone in anyway.

Maybe in the not too distant future, KIA will provide CarPlay/Android Auto without the need to link using a cable but alas, they haven't got there yet.

The good news is that if you have a front seat passenger with a suitably equipped phone, the wireless pad will be available to him/her as you will be using the USB slot.

This is stuff we could only dream about years ago so enjoy the moment while imagining what might be possible in cars in the 2020s!
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic