FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Will you buy new diesel car now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Will you buy new diesel car now?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [45.45%]
17 [51.52%]
1 [3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
mobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will you buy new diesel car now?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:37pm
Will you buy new diesel now?

If it were me, I'd say 

No for all models upto and including Ceed - because petrol models are just as good

Yes for Sportage & Sorento - because there is no choice in SUV segment.

It will be interesting to see if Kia can improve Sportage petrol trim. 

2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol
Sponsored Links

aircraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:12pm
Petrol would always be my first choice.
They are much more reliable.
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
A large number of us who buy Sorentos and Sportage do so for towing. Diesel gives far more grunt for this job. I have towed for 45 years petrol and diesel and diesel is in a league of its own.
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:38pm
I'd pick the diesel alternative every time over petrol due to greater economy in almost all circumstances and a better power delivery than a similarly-sized petrol engine in the same model.

The current anti-diesel propaganda is disgraceful and is simply a sop to the manufacturers who have invested heavily in electric and hybrid technology.  The truth is that there is negligible difference in CO2 and NOX emissions between the latest diesels and similar petrol engines.  Big lithium battery power is the wrong way to go as scientists and geologists already know - the real fuel of the future which will come to prominence before too much longer will not require the mining of finite resources of precious metals.

Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:57pm
While I agree that the latest diesels are comparable to petrol for emissions, there remain two issues:

1)  Keeping a modern diesel and all it's emissions control kit working properly seems to be challenging

2) Regardless of the science and your personal preferences. diesels are politically the bad boys and this is not likely to change anytime soon.

This is why I wanted a petrol vehicle when I renewed a year ago and nothing has come along to change my view.

For towing, I agree it's got to be diesel, but that is a minority of users and probably a minority of journeys too.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
mobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:24pm
Another point not to forget is to repair cost of diesel outside warranty.

Kia is an exception on 7-yr warranty. Industry standard is 3-yr only. Running a modern diesel outside warranty is huge risk. Too many things to go wrong [DPF/DMF etc.] and repair can wipe off MPG savings completely.

A petrol car is far better bet outside warranty.

ItsOnlyMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ItsOnlyMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:45am
I would always buy a diesel over a petrol whenever possible. They are far more economical compared to a similar sized petrol, especially for high mileage users like myself, and I prefer the power delivery.

The only time I would (reluctantly) consider a petrol is if my usage dropped significantly and I was to buy a small car.
2016 1.6 CRDi Cee'd 3
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:21am
A petrol hybrid Sportage looks to be on its way and will be my future choice as diesel is so out of favour politically.

2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 36k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
smellmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smellmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:56am
I do 20,000 miles a year so it's diesel for me.
Previous: 58 Kia Pro Cee'd 3 04 Saab 93 2.2 TiD Arc, 02 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive, 51 BMW 320td, 52 Vectra 3.2 V6 GSi, 99 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi, 95 Nissan Primera 2.0 LX, 89/86 Nissan Bluebird 1.6 LX
mobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Signman Signman wrote:

A petrol hybrid Sportage looks to be on its way and will be my future choice as diesel is so out of favour politically.

Proof that petrol/hybrid is going to be future Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic