FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

UK Traffic Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PeterNiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterNiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Traffic Information
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm
I gather that traffic information is NOT available in the UK when using KIA Connected Services with KIA Hotspot? Is this correct?Cry
Sponsored Links

Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 5:46pm
Peter, the connected services gives you speed camera warnings, weather and traffic data. Traffic data is in the form of small rice grains of different colours depending on the the congestion. I'm quite impressd, as it seems reasonably accurate. You don't necessarily have to use Kia Hotspot, you can use the phone tethering facility. Trouble is, you have to activate it yourself every time you get in the car.

David
MY17 Kia Carens 4 1.7 CRDi 7 Speed DCT - Bright Silver

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 6:12pm
It works for me.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by PeterNiro PeterNiro wrote:

I gather that traffic information is NOT available in the UK when using KIA Connected Services with KIA Hotspot? Is this correct?Cry

I'm interested to know where that information or speculation came from.  In my case, I tether to an iPhone and it all works very well.  In the case of the Android system, there is an app which permits easy access to the phone as a wi-fi hotspot and I'm led to believe that that allows the car and phone to work seamlessly together.  

As reported, Tom Tom live connected services does all one might expect and the traffic updates are excellent.

Edited by Indalo - 08 Mar 2018 at 6:36pm
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
betatester View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote betatester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:40pm
The Kia Hotspot app is not required. All that does is switch on the Wi-Fi hot-spot when is sees the headunit connected via Bluetooth. It also doesn't work with Android 7.0 upwards.

All you need to do (with Android) is tether to the phone as you currently do with your iPhone. It works in exactly the same way.
louilester View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louilester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by betatester betatester wrote:

The Kia Hotspot app is not required. All that does is switch on the Wi-Fi hot-spot when is sees the headunit connected via Bluetooth. It also doesn't work with Android 7.0 upwards.

All you need to do (with Android) is tether to the phone as you currently do with your iPhone. It works in exactly the same way.

I tend to agree - I have my phone as a hotspot to the car and it auto-connects and alerts me of traffic.  Sometimes takes a while and worth noting that whilst your phone is connected to Wi-Fi (like at home) it does not act as a hotspot, however when Wi-Fi is no longer available the Hotspot starts up and the car connects.  This takes varying amounts of time in my experience.  Today it came up within 3 mins or leaving the house, yesterday I only go a traffic alarm after 10 mins of driving..
Kia Niro PHEV March 18
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by betatester betatester wrote:

Works just fine on my Android 7.0 phone.  I think there is an issue with 8 though.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
Kia Hotspot is working with my Galaxy S8+ on Android 7.
MY17 Kia Carens 4 1.7 CRDi 7 Speed DCT - Bright Silver

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
blh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 2:01pm
I've found it works fine with my IPhone if I enable the personal hotspot when I first get in the car but if I leave the car for an hour or so taking my IPhone with me, when I return it does not re-connect - I have to disable & restart the hotspot on my phone. Is that an IPhone thing as it's a bit annoying because I dont always notice it has not re-connected until I'm on the move?
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
I have got over the problem by not using my phone as a hotspot - but installing in my car a TP Link 4G LTE Mobile WiFi M7350.

http://tinyurl.com/yamfa96f

It is plugged into the USB port in the armrest bin to power it and forms the hot spot for Tom Tom connected services. Because it is still switched on when the car engine is stopped - its battery will run down after a couple of days without using the car. As soon as the car is switched on power is restored and all I need to do is switch the TP link on again.

To extend the time it stays "alive" I have placed a spare powerbank in the armrest bin which is plugged into the car's USB socket and the TP Link then plugged into the powerbank.

https://tinyurl.com/y8yvee5e

As an aside I have wondered how Tom Tom compile the traffic info and keep it so up to date. It turns out that you and I with smartphones switched on in the car are doing it for them

They monitor the millions of phone signals from cars. From mast triangulation they can tell how fast the traffic is moving - or stationary - and build up a traffic pattern from that. Big brother is helping us for once.

I now longer need to use the phone for tethering in the car.

Edited by AlanHo - 13 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
Niro 2 With ADAP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic