New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tucsy-Alternative for AndroidAuto-Working on MY16!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Tucsy-Alternative for AndroidAuto-Working on MY16!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Senor Valasco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senor Valasco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
I am interested in installing this to my KX-3.

Can I ask those that have done so...... is it simply a phone screen mirroring solution or does it allow you to control the phone via the car's Infotainment touchscreen (e.g. launch and use phone apps by pressing the relevant icon on the touchscreen)? If it's the former then I'll probably not bother.

Thanks.
2016 Sportage 2.0 KX-3 AWD CRDI
Sponsored Links

Othysseus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Othysseus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:19am
Android 7+ allows you to control your phone from the AVN screen, launching an app for example. Below 7 it is simple mirroring, you still need to operate your phone from its own screen.
markhig2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhig2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:02pm
Must get this this installed!! 
2016 Kia Sportage '3' Fusion White
From
Insignia Sports Tourer
Senor Valasco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senor Valasco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Othysseus Othysseus wrote:

Android 7+ allows you to control your phone from the AVN screen, launching an app for example. Below 7 it is simple mirroring, you still need to operate your phone from its own screen.

Thanks Othysseus. 

Getting tempted now to install it. I have a Huawei Mate 9 running Android 7.0.
2016 Sportage 2.0 KX-3 AWD CRDI
Othysseus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Othysseus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:35pm

KIA should do proper software development to use the whole potential of the unit. It is a shame that after paying the price of this car you have to go around to find an application to unleash the mirroring feature.
toolpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:59pm
Folks sorry but gave up with this approach a long time ago. I now park at Tesco's or similar in disabled slot due to wife's entitlement where I pick up wifi. Logon to Plex multimedia app on my cell phone, place it on the ledge of the satnav and watch what ever I want to from my home server or bbci player or tvplayer or what ever. Yes cell phone is bit smaller in size but just as good and there's no nag from the satnav to start engine.
I spent months with my first sporty and think I did finally manage to get it to play video to some extent, usb drives , accessing the windows system etc too much hassle. Gave up as soon as I got it to work . Honest!!!
2017 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX-5
Previous
2014 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-4 auto
2011 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-3 auto

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)
Othysseus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Othysseus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:49pm
I'm not trying to sell you the idea. If it doesn't suits you it's fine. It has nothing to do with playing video, or a movie from your USB.
You just replicate the features of your phone screen on the screen of your AVN. You want to use Google Maps? Check! Sygic or Waze? Check! WhatsApp? Check! Gmail or Blue mail? Check! Spotify or Google music play or Amazon music? Check! Masha or the Swedish cook on YouTube? Check! Reply notifications? Check! Reed the news on your favourite browser on an 8 inches screen? Guess what? Check! Do you want to operate your camera for the fun of it? Check this one too. Just name it, and without plugging the USB cable (yes you proud AVN4 owners, I'm talking to you) . Just straightforward streaming, I found it brilliant.
You can do all of that using a non-KIA designed application.
It does suits me mate. Big time.

Edited by Othysseus - 06 Dec 2017 at 11:13pm
Fuddy Ruck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuddy Ruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:25pm
Hi, this does sound good , but I was wondering if  you are able to do all of the above actions while driving , eg , watch Youtube videos or do you have to be parked  for most of them to function? 
Cheers
Othysseus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Othysseus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:41pm
Yes. You are able to do all that while you're driving.
I'm not talking here about whether this is good or bad, safe or crazy, great or stupid. I guess all that is clear to all of us (fingers crossed).
I am able to smash people's fingers with a hammer, but I prefer to use it in the way it is meant to be use.
Are we clear?
toolpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Othysseus Othysseus wrote:

I'm not trying to sell you the idea. If it doesn't suits you it's fine. It has nothing to do with playing video, or a movie from your USB.
You just replicate the features of your phone screen on the screen of your AVN. You want to use Google Maps? Check! Sygic or Waze? Check! WhatsApp? Check! Gmail or Blue mail? Check! Spotify or Google music play or Amazon music? Check! Masha or the Swedish cook on YouTube? Check! Reply notifications? Check! Read the news on your favourite browser on an 8 inches screen? Guess what? Check! Do you want to operate your camera for the fun of it? Check this one too. Just name it, and without plugging the USB cable (yes you proud AVN4 owners, I'm talking to you) . Just straightforward streaming, I found it brilliant.
You can do all of that but using a non-KIA designed application.
It does suits me mate. Big time.

Sorry points taken onboard but still not for me cellphone can do same ok smaller screen-you young guys why you need bigger screen??
2017 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX-5
Previous
2014 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-4 auto
2011 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-3 auto

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic