FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Niro Towbar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
jim1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niro Towbar
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 2:28pm
Was also interested in the towbar for a bike carrier. Got fed up waiting and asked dealer to fit roof bars at time of pick up but am really fed up of the whistling noise so the roof bars are likely to be thrown out soon!
Might review the towbar option again

Have only seen one other Niro on the roaD, was in white. ...couldn't tell if it was metallic or flat white though
Niro 2 with ADAP in Pearl White (metallic)

Picanto 2 5 door in white.

Previous,
Niro 2 with ADAP in pearl white.

Sportage2 1.6GDI 2014, Dark Gun Metal
sportage 1,black,2012.
Picanto 1air white
Sponsored Links

TerryB58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryB58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by t552 t552 wrote:

Not seen another Niro on the road let alone with a TB

I have done 9500 miles and seen ONE, a few weeks ago in Birmingham LOL
dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:06pm
Loads of Kias around here but not yet seen one on the road.

Had a nose around one in my dealership yesterday - must say I was very impressed with the space and fittings. Just need our friend Ernie to do his stuff.....
Cee'd 2 Sportwagon 2013
TheatreFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheatreFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:15pm
I saw one near work the other day but was on European plates!
t552 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
Not seen another Niro on the road let alone with a TB
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:25am
First, well done JAZZCAR on your perceverance with Kia. For me, part of the reply is positive in as much Kia confirm you can have a towbar for carrying bikes.

We have two electric bikes each weigh 24kg and have had towbars on our previous two Kia's.
I can now declare that last week I had a towbar fitted which I ordered from here
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/transportsysteme24com?_trksid=p2047675.l2563   ;
Is this the first UK Niro with a towbar?.
Jazzcar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazzcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:50pm
Hi All, I also have a niro on order and have been chasing Kia for information. Today I received a reply that may be of interest to you all, it doesn't make good reading however.

Here is a copy of that reply:-

Thanks for your email.

We would advise against fitting a towbar to the Kia Niro for several reasons.

Firstly, in order to tow, the vehicle requires uprated brakes and an uprated cooling system - both not featured in the Niro.

Secondly, the vehicle variant has not been homologated for towing, therefore any towbar fitted and used for towing would be illegal. If stopped as part of a VOSA inspection or by the Police, it could lead to a fine and possibly points. You may fit a towbar or frame for carrying bikes, but you would not be permitted to tow.

I appreciate that this isn't the response you were hoping for, but at no point have we stated that the Niro in the UK will be suitable for towing. Any information obtained relating to this, comes from outside the UK and is not applicable.

If there is anything else I can help with, please get in touch on 0333 2022 990.

Kia Motors UK

As you see that is pretty conclusive, I replied that it is a bit of a cotradiction to call a Niro a SUV without maintaining a small part of "Utility Vehicle" in the process.
Make what you like of this, it certainly hasn't cheered me.

dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 2:02pm
The Halfords bike rack hooks onto the rear hatch of my Cee'd Sportwagen and carries 2 bikes. I carefully pad out the ends of the pedals just in case the bikes move and contact the hatch, but so far they haven't. By hooking the bottom straps onto the bottom of the hatch you can still open the hatchback although it gets a bit heavy with bikes in place.

Don't know the current price but I bet it undercuts the Thule rack.

Edited by dave1978 - 15 Jan 2017 at 2:04pm
Cee'd 2 Sportwagon 2013
jim1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:28pm
In terms to worry that these might damage the paint work, the towbar ones often tilt allowing you to access the boot

Ive gone for the roof bars instead, not ideal but it's functional
Niro 2 with ADAP in Pearl White (metallic)

Picanto 2 5 door in white.

Previous,
Niro 2 with ADAP in pearl white.

Sportage2 1.6GDI 2014, Dark Gun Metal
sportage 1,black,2012.
Picanto 1air white
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:16pm
My son has a Golf GT with a bike carrier that hooks onto the rear hatch which requires no mods to the car. He can carry two bikes on it.

Just phoned him and he gave me the details. Looks a lot cheaper than adding a towbar and rack

Niro 2 With ADAP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic