FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Sudden Harsh towing snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 3:05pm
Towed back from Berwick earlier today noticed wind was slightly stronger but thankfully towed like dream.
Will check nose weight before departing end of the month.

Thank all for good sound advice.

Andrew
Sponsored Links

Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:54pm
Thanks for the feedback Andrew, I'm pleased to know your confidence has returned.

David
2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto / 2017 Lunar Clubman SB
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:16pm
Good you had a trouble free journey.
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:18pm
Just an update:
Since we had been towing with the Sorento we often heard sharp 'knocks' even when going over what were seemingly flat road. We never had any such knocking when towing with our previous car (Insignia).
I emailed BPW who kindly send me some new hitch pads for the hitch which I replaced and since then (towed over Christmas to Brid) without any knocking or snaking.
Our van was new in July 14 so didnt expect new pads would be needed but seem to have cured things.
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:45pm
I emailed Winterhoff about frequent and rather disturbing sharp knocks we often heard from the hitch/tow ball.
They kingly sent us some new friction pads (the van is a 2014 towed about 2500 miles) which weve fitted and towed twice since to Brid & back. No snaking (towed thro 30mph winds) and only 1 occasion of sharp knocking.
I noticed on the old front pad there was an indentation on the small plastic surround so I plan to see if the new pad develops the same indentation as I wondered if the knocking is caused by the towball being too high and so the hitch then bangs against the neck of the tow ball.
davo8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:33am
Hi Oldsalt. 
How did the spring replacement effect the normal unloaded ride of the vehicle? 
Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by davo8 davo8 wrote:

Hi Oldsalt. 
How did the spring replacement effect the normal unloaded ride of the vehicle? 

Davo,

The spring replacement actually improved the unloaded ride very well. They did not make the unloaded ride any harder, due to their progressive nature. They did raise the rear up a little bit, but no more than a centimetre. The improvement I noticed mostly was a reduction of the wallow effect when towing. Also when not towing the slight stiffening of the rear end gave a more confident feeling on fast bends as it reduced the roll effect.

I do not think you will be disappointed if you fit them.

David
2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto / 2017 Lunar Clubman SB
davo8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davo8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:20pm
Thanks for that. I wanted to fit an adjustable airbag helper kit in the rear spring set up but apparently they are not recommended for the self leveling rear in my model. Unhappy
Regards - Davo 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic