FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Sudden Harsh towing snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sudden Harsh towing snake
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:56pm
We recently purchased a 15 plate KX2 to tow our 1450kg caravan which has BPW ITC braking.
I have been towing for a number of years and until buying the Sorento I towed with a 60 plate SRi Insignia without any trouble.
However last friday as I was towing up the A1 not o/weight 85kg on tow ball we felt a very strong snake that really did move the back end of the car around. Released accellorator no braking and it passed. 
I dont recall any strong cross winds nor passing any HGV so I am at a loss what caused it.
The tow ball was newly fitted however I didn sandpaper it to remove the paint before towing.
Sponsored Links

rizmo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:01pm
How level is your unit, when hitched? Used to have a lot of sway with one unit I had, on first trip, and when parked at motorway services I could see the towbar was too high. Got a drop plate and cured it all. Seem to recall a recent post about Kia towbar was either too high or too low, causing sway.

Fleet: Kia Venga 3 1.6 auto, Subaru XV 2.0 SE Premium Lineartronic, Hyundai i40 Estate, Ford Transit Connect van, Talbot 10 (1938)
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:18pm
By not cleaning paint of the towball as instructions clearly state you will have contaminated the pads so they are not doing their job Advise clean tow ball paint completely and replace the hitch pads I have been caravanning 44 years and every time I have fitted a towbar the first job is to clean the paint off so as not to forget. i would also increase the nose weight a bit to nearer the maximum.
7% of caravan weight which is recommended comes out at the Kia max hitch download of 100kg.

Edited by BIRDMAN - 29 Jul 2016 at 4:46pm
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
odd days View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:01pm
I agree with birdman we found it unstable with the lighter tow hitch weight so increased to 95kg and was much better.
Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:13pm
The A1 is a well used truckers route and as a consequence is has ruts which can cause swaying of towed trailers and caravans. The tow ball paint shouldn't make any difference to a correctly loaded stable unit. I note you say your caravan has the BPW ITC, is it actually working? IE. is it getting the power supply from the car? If the snake was that severe, the ITC should have activated. The BPW ITC is quite sensitive and is well known for activating on poor road surfaces. When I had my 2010 KX-2 (Auto),I found it a very twitchy towcar. I cured it by fitting MAD Progressive replacement rear spring (£279). The car was transformed. I would be interested in knowing if prior to you incident, what was the towing behaviour like? My hunch is the road ruts, but do sandpaper the towball and check the ITC.
Safe tow!!

David
2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto / 2017 Lunar Clubman SB
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:25pm
Yes I agree with the A1, We went up to Scarborough a few weeks ago and due to uneven road surface we had no sway but on three occasion the ATC activated giving me a tug back.In the three years since buying new the only other time it has actuated was when empty taking it for service and going round a small roundabout
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 7:45am
Thanks for the replies and helpful tips.
 I am sorry in my post I incorrectly typed an 'n' after did and it then gives the impression I 'didnt' clean the pint off the tow ball, whereas I meant to say I did clean it. (Sorry).

I will check the level when we pitch up to leave next friday (at Berwick on Tweed).

The comments about getting in a rut are a possibility as our roads are showing the results of heavy traffic and infrequent maintenance.

I will increase the noseweight for our next trip at end of august.

Thanks again

Andrew & Sue 

BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 8:25am
Hope you next outing is OK with increasing nose-weight,let us know how you get on.
A.BRAMLEY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.BRAMLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 8:46am
Will update Birdman. Thanks.
Oldsalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldsalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 9:18am
Andrew & Sue,

If your Sorento has self levelling rear suspension, there is something to bear in mind. When you add weight to the car, be it load in the boot or caravan on the hitch, the rear of the car will sag. It only becomes self levelled after the car is driven some distance (less than 100 metres).

David

2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto / 2017 Lunar Clubman SB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic