FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Speed camera info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
baroudeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baroudeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Trebmal Trebmal wrote:

Hi
I've just bought a Kx4 Sorento and am very disappointed that the navigation system is devoid of speed camera information.
Can anyone advise how this can be overcome, I don't want to use my TomTom when I have an in built system.
Thanks for any advice
ps I'm pretty IT illiterate!

Hi. New member so late reply.

See if PocketGPSWorld speed camera warnings can be added to your sat nav.  If not their CamerAlert for phones is a very good alternative.  At just under £20 pa and updates every day it cannot be beaten for accuracy and content.  If you report cameras previously unknown a year's subscription is free.

Just a happy user for several years and no subs due until end 2018!

http://tinyurl.com/pbebg

Edit: Only Germany and Switzerland ban camera detection devices.  France requires "danger zones" covering a camera location over a long distance rather than a specific location point and PGPSW allows the option of either that version or actual camera locations.  German and Swiss cameras are also optional.  There are no reports of sat navs etc being seized by French police despite the mythical warnings of such.  I'vs continued to use mine extensively in France albeit on an SD card that can be popped out very discreetly id ever stopped.

Edited by baroudeur - 30 Jan 2017 at 5:05pm
Sponsored Links

grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by SeñorSorento SeñorSorento wrote:

In countries where it is illegal (I think only France?) they are usually set to warn of 'danger zones' instead.  The KIA navi is dreadful they can't bring Carplay / Android Auto soon enough, but they probably can't be bothered.
I would prefer a built-in google-based system like Audi which uses it's own SIM car for advanced online features.  There is what may be a SIM slot (based on size) above the SD card slot but it is not marked as such.

Along with the Rio I also have a 65 plate Renault. It has a similar media/nav setup to kia but it comes with speed camera alerts that can be switched off and pretty much up to date maps and easy to use voice controlled hands free phone. Just about the best thing about the car
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by baroudeur baroudeur wrote:

CamerAlert for phones is a very good alternative.  At just under £20 pa and updates every day it cannot be beaten for accuracy and content.  If you report cameras previously unknown a year's subscription is free.

I was set to ask about this in the Optima forum but a search produced your comments which I'm glad to have found.

Yesterday, I purchased 'CamerAlert' but haven't used my car yet today.  At this point, I'm going to presume that it will work as if by magic under the following conditions, unless I'm informed that I require to do this, that or the other to make it function.

My routine on start-up is to cable-connect iPhone 6 via USB then call up Maps and set a destination if I need directions. That all works seamlessly so I'm guessing here that with the CamerAlert app on the iPhone, any speed cameras I encounter will be presented to me on the infotainment screen if I have the mirror setting selected in the app preferences.

Is there anything I need to do to make this happen or does it simply work by 'magic'?  The app gets great reviews but the website could do with an idiot guide, explaining exactly what must be done on entering the vehicle and what is likely to happen thereafter - that way, one would understand if the facility is working correctly or not.

Edited by Indalo - 16 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Indalo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic