FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Speed camera info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Trebmal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trebmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed camera info
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:56pm
Hi
I've just bought a Kx4 Sorento and am very disappointed that the navigation system is devoid of speed camera information.
Can anyone advise how this can be overcome, I don't want to use my TomTom when I have an in built system.
Thanks for any advice
ps I'm pretty IT illiterate!
Sponsored Links

Yorkshire Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkshire Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:45am
The reason most modern cars no longer have speed camera detection is that they are prohibited in nearly all european countries.
Trebmal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trebmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:24am
Thanks Mike, I thought many new vehicles have the facility to turn off the camera info when venturing into other countries.

I'm sure it can't be beyond the wit of man to incorporate the speed camera details into our cars' navigation software? Has anyone achieved it? I feel very vulnerable without it!

Regards
Dave
rizmo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:27am
What age is your Kia? If it is recent, you may have connectivity via your mobile phone, which will show speed cameras. Or, you could just keep to the speed limits - LOL!
Fleet: Kia Venga 3 1.6 auto, Subaru XV 2.0 SE Premium Lineartronic, Hyundai i40 Estate, Ford Transit Connect van.
Ebor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by rizmo rizmo wrote:

What age is your Kia? If it is recent, you may have connectivity via your mobile phone, which will show speed cameras. Or, you could just keep to the speed limits - LOL!

Its a Kia Sorento Kx4 the most expensive top of the range model. I have one and I'm not holding my breath about getting Apple Carplay any time soon.Cry
2016 Sorento KX 4 Towing Coachman VIP 545/4
SeñorSorento View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeñorSorento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:58pm
In countries where it is illegal (I think only France?) they are usually set to warn of 'danger zones' instead.  The KIA navi is dreadful they can't bring Carplay / Android Auto soon enough, but they probably can't be bothered.
I would prefer a built-in google-based system like Audi which uses it's own SIM car for advanced online features.  There is what may be a SIM slot (based on size) above the SD card slot but it is not marked as such.
Trebmal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trebmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 12:09pm
Hi
My kx4 is a couple of months old and my phone is an IPhone 5.
Can these be linked somehow to incorporate speed camera info on the car's sat nav screen?
I obviously could use a phone app or have my TomTom set up but I really don't want the extra clutter if I can amalgamate the speed camera info on the car's system.
Surely most people would want this?

Cheers

Dave
YoungRobbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungRobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Trebmal Trebmal wrote:

Hi
My kx4 is a couple of months old and my phone is an IPhone 5.
Can these be linked somehow to incorporate speed camera info on the car's sat nav screen?
I obviously could use a phone app or have my TomTom set up but I really don't want the extra clutter if I can amalgamate the speed camera info on the car's system.
Surely most people would want this?

Cheers

Dave

Pretty much impossible to achieve what you want with the system I'm afraid.  The only option is to have use your phone and the TomTom speed camera alert app, only issue though is that if you connect via Bluetooth or USB you wont be able to have this and the Radio on (DAB/FM etc) at the same time.  Your only option then will be to choose a different output for you phone.

The other option, as already stated, don't speed Smile.
SK_Sorento_17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK_Sorento_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm
Here is part of a press release from KIA from 02.03.2016
Theme is Android Auto and Apple Car Play

"Other Kia models will follow in the years 2016 and 2017

After putting Android Auto ™ and Apple CarPlay ™ to the market in Kia Niro, these systems will be gradually introduced in all European models of Kia in the next 18 months, starting with the new Kia Optima Plug-in Hybrid and the first Tourer Kia Optima Sportswagon end of 2016.

As well as Kia Optima Kia Niro and Plug-in Hybrid will be available on Android ™, Auto Launch (during the fourth quarter of 2016), as Apple ™ CarPlay before the end of the year. Kia Optima Sportswagon, which will be available from Q4 2016 will be the first Kia model that offers both technologies from launch. Kia expects that operating systems smartphones will be available on all models by the end of the 2017th

High-tech Kia Connected Services available in the new Kia

Brand new Kia Optima and Kia Niro, as well as the new Kia Sportage is available with Kia Connected Services package, supported by TomTom® navigation system. Kia Connected Services is a new package that offers the driver a wide range of relevant information, including current traffic information *, location and speed camera warnings *, search for points of interest in and weather forecasts. In Europe, the system is available to customers free of charge for seven years from the purchase of the vehicle.

"

This was translated by Google from Slovak

Best regards
ME
SeñorSorento View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeñorSorento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 8:37pm
Any update on this? I am so bored of the Sorento's no-frills infotainment/navi.
Does anyone know if we have a QNX based system or Windows CE.
It seems to be pot-luck based on country and model and year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic