FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Servicing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Oldham lad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldham lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Servicing
    Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:18pm
Hi I wonder if anyone can put me straight on servicing
My Sportage was 1st registered in March 2016 and when I bought it in July 2016 it had covered 5000 miles By the 12th of January 2017 The mileage was 9050 and it had its 1st service under my 3 service plan which I purchased when I bought the car
It has to date covered 15000 miles And is according to the service plan due to have another service which includes a oil change at 20000 miles. I am unsure if my next service is to be carried out when my car reaches 20000 miles or on the anniversary of being two years old or does it go 12 months since the last service inrespective of mileage
Hope this makes sense
Can someone advice please
Sponsored Links

keat99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keat99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm
I'm suprised no one has answered this.
Although it is a bit of a mine field getting your head around it.
The service interval is 20,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first.

Only the oil is good for 20,000 miles.

After 12 months, a service is due, regardless.
If you've covered less than 10,000 miles, then it's anticipated that you would have covered less than 20,000 miles by the time the next 12 months service is due, and so the oil is not neccessarily changed at year 1.

Lets assume,
Year 1 you cover 9,000 miles,  no oil change is due.
Year 2, you've reached 18,000 miles, then an oil change should be carried out, at year 2 service.

Now assume, year 1 you cover 9,000 miles,  no oil change is due.
Your circumstances change and 6 months later, you've already covered 20,000 miles, then an oil change is due at 20,000 miles, regardless of whether a service is due or not.

So, when you have a service and an oil change is carried out, you've about 10,000 miles in a 12 month period as to whether or not an oil change would be carried out.
Of course, you could always stipute that you want an oil change when it goes in.

My car covered around 14,000 miles each year, and always had an oil change with every service.

In your case it would be 20,000 miles or your two year aniversary, which ever comes first.
If you ensure that the oil is changed at two years, and your mileage remians the same, then it will be year four before you require another oil change.

Edited by keat99 - 22 Nov 2017 at 3:54pm
2.0 GT Line, In and around Wakefield/Leeds.
aircraft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:12pm
Not an easy one to get your head around.

@Keat99 did you stipulate that an oil change should be done when it went in for a service?
artscot79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artscot79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:29am
Yeah its easy its simple every 12 months or at the specified mileage whichever comes first if you hit 20k miles before the year then it goes in in the mileage my oils changed every service

Edited by artscot79 - 04 Dec 2017 at 12:30am
aircraft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Hi folks

Make sure you get your services done on (or just before) time.

There was a case where a customer had missed his 1st or 2nd service by 200 miles, and later on when he claimed on the warranty it was rejected as one of the services was late by 200 miles.

Smile
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by aircraft aircraft wrote:

Hi folks

Make sure you get your services done on (or just before) time.

There was a case where a customer had missed his 1st or 2nd service by 200 miles, and later on when he claimed on the warranty it was rejected as one of the services was late by 200 miles.

Smile

When? Where?
aircraft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 11:14pm
message 57

a lot of hassle

"I had a terrible experience with the Kia warranty after owning the car for 4 years. My first service was out of the service window by 200 miles (because they couldn't book me in until the next week). In year 3 I had a warranty repair due to an engine harness rubbing through and cutting out the engine - no problems there. In year 4 the turbo blew, I had the car taken to the Kia dealership who asked for my service records - their computer systems didn't seem to record any of the services they do! I found all of the receipts and the log book then got a phone call to say I wouldn't be covered under warranty because the first service was out of the specified window... They said it was likely that the air filter would have been blocked putting strain on the turbo and it was my issue, a bill of £1300!!!

The long and short of it was I ended up speaking to their director or service and aftercare. with evidence that the turbo and air filter are signed off to 50,000 miles from an engineering testing perspective (from the direct supplier) and an air intake engineer for another OEM offering to back up my claim they only gave in when I started to post about my experience on public forums and a car blogging site got wind of it!

Needless to say I no longer own the Kia. As soon as they fixed it under warranty it was up for sale"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic