FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Rough start up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sammy boy 12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy boy 12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough start up
    Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 10:40am
Hi there new to Kia forum

I have got a 2003 Kia Rio it's done 90tho miles
And it got a problem starting up it starts up then its struggles to keep going and then put foot on pedal and dies does it a couple of times then when setting off on 1st and 2nd it juders and tries to cut out real danger at junctions but after you get past that it drives fine
Iv tried changing the plugs fuel cleaners just don't no what to do now
Can anyone help

Thanks Sam
Sponsored Links

grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 9:20pm
Welcome to the club Sam! It's very hard to know without a code you can read. Sounds as if it could be electrical or dampness.Try WD40 on all the leads. Could the distributor cap be cracked? Ignition coil on the blink? Start with the cheap stuff first

Edited by grumpycrdi - 03 Sep 2016 at 9:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy boy 12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 12:59am
Hi thanks
Codes that come up are system to lean bank 1
And knock sensor 1 which carnt remember

Thanks grumpycrdi
boxygreg1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxygreg1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Sammy boy 12345 Sammy boy 12345 wrote:

Hi thanks
Codes that come up are system to lean bank 1
And knock sensor 1 which carnt remember

Thanks grumpycrdi

Hi

I had a similar problem with mine, engine light came on and fuel consumption shot thruough the roof. Did a check on the ECU and I got the knock sensor error. I checked to make sure I had enough oil and cleared the error, drove a few miles and everything went back to normal. First time it happened i paid £20 for the mechanic to tell me there's nothing wrong because it apparently cleared itself. I need to get it serviced soon.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy boy 12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 7:05am
Hi

Yeah I serviced mine last month and still dong it iv sprayed the leads still nothing
The 1st error code system to lean bank one I would say it started when that code appeared thinking about it now so should I go from that code as I no if the pipe is damaged from the filter housing down to the throttle that could set it off or am wrong

Many thanks
Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxygreg1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:02am
Hi

Your code might be 'P0325' 'Knock Sensor 1 Circuit'. I'm not trying to promote it or anything, I just have it, I used a program called OBD Auto Doctor to clear the code. You can get the mechanics to clear it for you. Also you could check your wheel bearings too. I have a strong suspicion they may be linked to triggering the knock sensor but I'm not too sure. Again, with the code still on the car drives very rough and fuel consumption is very bad.

Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy boy 12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:13am
Hi Greg

Even with faults cleared doesn't take long for it to come back on
With the knock sensor would it be a front bearing or rear as when steering it knocks from time to time as track rods and rack are fine and how easy is it to replace a knock sensor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxygreg1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:07pm
Hi Sam

Front bearings can be replaced quite easily, just takes some time. You can get them from Euro Car Parts. The tracking rod bushes, on the other hand, can be quite tricky to get hold of. Your local Kia dealer should be able to help you with that. I dont even know where the knock sensor is located but will defo replace it when I get the chance.
nick1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
It does point to a faulty knock sensor. Or an intake air leak after the MAF sensor. This mean the engine would run lean and hot which could cause the engine to start 'pingking' or detonation knock sensor would retard the ignition timing. Which could lead to poor drivability including hesitation or even stalling. Welcome to the forum btw😊
Kimmy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:08am
ive had Kia's 9 years now and had 52 Kia Rio. I suggest checking fuel pump , that could be the main reason
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic