Forum Description: For model years 2016+
URL: http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37609
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Decision made KX-5 it is
Posted By: toolpusher
Subject: Decision made KX-5 it is
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Ok I have spent last two weeks trawling through this 2016+ forum glad to see there’s no real major problems being noted. No real issues with the seats which was the biggest issue on previous gen--mine are fine on present sporty with no splits but won’t say they are that comfortable during long drives. Any update on this comfort wise?? Next big issue of previous gen was the wheel rims suffering corrosion I had mine changed once under warranty no problem. Then major complaints about the Kia Sat Nav (although it never put a foot wrong with me) I am sure the change to Tom Tom must be major improvement. Therefore, got appointment with dealer Monday morning to order the KX-5 with tow bar and should behind the wheel mid Sept with a bit of luck.

-------------
2017 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX-5
Previous
2014 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-4 auto
2011 2.0 CRDI SPORTAGE KX-3 auto

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)

Replies:
Posted By: Indalo
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by toolpusher toolpusher wrote:

Then major complaints about the Kia Sat Nav (although it never put a foot wrong with me) I am sure the change to Tom Tom must be major improvement.  

Hi 'toolpusher'.

Unless I'm not up to speed with the latest equipment levels, I think you may be disappointed to learn that the Kia navigation system isn't a Tom Tom system but only augmented by Tom Tom live services.

That said, the basic system is reasonable and I prefer it to the Apple Maps nav system which is integral to the Apple Carplay addition.  Certainly, the voice control seems to work better with the Kia nav system in my car than it does with Apple Maps.

If I'm behind the times on this topic, no doubt someone will be quick to point it out.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the car when it arrives.

-------------
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:09pm
Thanks for the update Indalo to be honest where I live there is only one main road for the first 120 miles south and at my age I know every bend better than any Sat Nav on that road. Need it big time in the cities off course being a yokel but never really know if its me or the satnav when it goes wrong haha. Joking aside present sat nav seems quite reliable

-------------
Previous

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”(Mark Twain)

Posted By: Habu
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm
I think the seats are good. After driving 250 miles each way recently I suffered no issues. The additional length to the seat base helps as it supports the thighs better.

Sat nav wise, it's the best system I used.   Clear and quick. I like the head up way points in the top right hand corner of the screen plus, when combined with the nav directions in the centre TFT screen, is excellent.

Posted By: DougieB
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:55am
I suffer from severe lower back problems and the only two cars I've had better than my Sportage was a Jaguar XJ and a Rover 75.

-------------
Sportage 2.0 CRDi KX3 auto (sunroof) in Dark Gun Metallic

Posted By: mr.macspot
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 9:47am
Hi toolpusher, I've had my 2017 Sportage KX-2 for just over five weeks and haven't really done any long mileage with it as yet. Although the seats on my car are not the posh leather ones, I've found them firm but comfortable. 
As to the sat nav, frankly I'm not impressed. To me there is a lack of detail in the maps, especially when driving a route, the map does not zoom as close as I am used to. There are other things I don't like, no lane guidance, no advance warning of changes in direction. And although my phone is happily tethering I am yet to see any traffic or speed camera warnings. Oh and on top of all that I can put the name of the street I live in, but according to the sat nav the house number does not exist.
It all sound like a big whinge, but it really isn't. I wasn't fussed whether I had an in built sat nav or not, I was more interested in the Dab radio and iPod abilities. I will be sticking with my TomTom for directions.
And I love the car.

-------------
2017 Kia Sportage KX-2 (Planet Blue).

Posted By: RAMRaider1
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:54am

Hi toolpusher

Back in 2008, my wife and I fulfilled a life-long ambition and embarked upon an unforgettable 4½ month 'around-the-world-trip', but one of the rental cars we had on our travels in Australia was a Toyota Camry that had especially deep-set front bucket seats and eventually caused me to unintentionally strain a muscle or tendon directly behind my shoulder blade, causing excruciating pain.

To avoid a re-occurence of this problem, we swapped our rental car booking for an SUV instead, which offered us vastly easier access, plus the additional benefit of an elevated vantage point.

We have some really lovely friends who are 'just managing' financially, but sadly a couple of weeks ago their 'old banger' unexpectedly went 'pop' and ultimately it became uneconomic to repair, so we gifted them our reliable hatchback and thus began a search for some sort of SUV for ourselves.

With plenty of free time, I undertook a significant amount of in-depth research over the previous couple of months, using either the internet (whose youtube videos proved invaluable - 'a picture's worth a thousand words' etc) or reading up-to-date magazine reviews etc.

We followed up this process by 'test-driving' about a dozen makes of SUV at a selection of nearby showrooms and although some of the ones we tried featured only current versions, others boasted brand new releases this summer, such as the 2017 Mazda CX-5 and 2017 Volvo XC60.

After weighing up the pro's and con's of each one (taking into account the total price), we decided it was an absolute 'no-brainer' to opt for a new 2017 KX-5 Sportage, which we collected from our local dealership nearly three weeks ago.

Thus far we are thrilled with virtually every aspect of our Kia (with the sole exception of being unable to switch the central digital display readout from mph to kph - see separate post), but one of the undoubted highlights of owning the KX-5 model is it's delightful light grey interior with matching roof lining and comfortable two-tone leather upholstery, finished off with a gorgeous airy panoramic sunroof (which actually opens, as opposed to some other rival competitors that unbelievably don't - I believe that both the 2017 Honda CR-V & 2017 Renault Kadjar are the two main culprits in this respect)....go figure ?

If we have one overall criticism that we'd aim at the entire range of Sportage SUV's on sale in the U.K., it would have to be the extremely narrow & restrictive choice of body colours available (a miserly 6 !). My wife & I honestly cannot fathom why Kia feel the necessity of offering up TWO varieties of White ('Arctic' or 'Fusion') to customers, as opposed to a wider choice of hues ? What about a nice metallic light blue exterior with contrasting cream interior ? Is anybody at Kia's South Korean HQ listening, please ?

I find the 'Bronze Metal' deeply unpleasant, but 'ymmv' (Google it !). The 'Dark Gun Metal' is way too sombre for our liking & the Phantom Black bodywork shows up every tiny speck of dirt. Neither am I fan of black interiors, which I detest at the best of times, as they have an unavoidable tendency to feel pretty claustrophobic. When stifling hot summer weather arrives, black paint absorbs heat like a massive solar panel and in due course creates a highly unpleasant interior environment (née: furnace) when returning to a car which has been parked outside in continuous sunshine for any length of time.

Hence the only option actually left for us to choose was the metallic 'infra-red', but I still find it genuinely quite galling to discover a far wider palette of attractive colours available to customers overseas in places as far afield as the U.S.A., Canada or continental Europe etc.

Interestingly, had we not happened to view the lighter interior of the KX-5 on show in our nearest dealer's showroom, there is every possibility that we may not even have bothered taking the Sportage out for a test-drive, which would not only have been a complete travesty but almost criminal.

It also seems an awful shame that some of the latest safety technological advances, such as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Blind Spot Detection (BSD) are unavailable on models farther down the range (i.e: Sportage 1, 2 / KX-2, & 3 / KX-3).

As far as the Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) is concerned, if you can't keep your vehicle on the 'straight and narrow' between a set of white lines, without drifting perilously across the carriageway (sans the intervention of an on-board computerised gizmo), then quite frankly you not only pose a grave danger to yourself, but become a serious menace to other road users on the public highway and should quit driving with immediate effect !

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:57am
Ramraider what an eloquent post and it’s all for me thank you.  Ordered KX-5 in Dark Gun Metal with tow bar should have it on the 7th Sep.  Smile. Not much chance of overheating where I live

-------------
Previous

Posted By: bar1957
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:57am
Originally posted by RAMRaider1 RAMRaider1 wrote:

Interestingly, had we not happened to view the lighter interior of the KX-5 on show in our nearest dealer's showroom, there is every possibility that we may not even have bothere

I agree. Not impressed with the dark interior of a KX4(?) I sat in, I nearly walked away. The light grey colour leather of the First Edition was a game changer.

-------------
2016 First Edition in Phantom Black

Posted By: Signman
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:32am
I had a Gen3 "Black Edition" which had a two tone interior. The centre panel of the seats was a light grey suede type material and the door cards had the same colour accenting. Very nice to look at but when you sat on the seats it mattered not what colour they were and the door card accenting did break that area's sea of black, but not to the point I'd need a future two tone light/dark interior again, especially as a forward looking driver   

The sliding panoramic roof is nice I agree, although if it were a costed £800-£1000 option as so many other makers offer I would not specify it, but as a bundled part of Kia's trim levels it works for me.

-------------
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 31k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:59pm

Hi again toolpusher

Here comes the second chapter !

With the government's punitive Car Tax (VED) banding measures now affecting new vehicles purchased in the UK after April 1st this year which cost over £40,000.00, we made a conscious decision to try (if at all possible) to stay below this dreaded limit.

Bearing in mind this 'cut-off' figure, I thought you might be intrigued to know about the other SUV's we considered, which involved driving an Audi Q5 from £38,035.00*rrp, Jaguar F-Pace from £34,730.00*rrp, Mercedes GLC from £36,425.00*rrp and lastly Volvo's impressive new XC60 from £37,205.00*rrp.

Obviously you've got to bear in mind that the prices above are purely for *base level models only, but personally speaking I find the 'rrp from' figures in the four instances above to be borderline disingenuous.

Just be aware that when you've actually finished 'totting-up' the cost of all the optional extras you'd need to specify on an equivalent Audi Q5, Jaguar F-Pace, Mercedes GLC or Volvo XC60 (to match the ones which come as standard on the KX-5), then your financial resources will have taken a severe battering, typically to the tune of well in excess of £40,000+ to £50,000+ and still counting.....ouch !

Land Rover's 'yet-to-be-released' Range Rover Velar kicks off from £44,830.00, but you can realistically expect to shell out a sum of nearer £60,000.00+ to obtain all the toys that your heart desires.

The other candidates we tried were a Ford Kuga (from £21,615.00) 'ho hum' (yawn), a Land Rover Discovery Sport (from £28,355.00), which honestly didn't strike me as anything particularly special, a Nissan X-Trail (from £22,855.00) which I rapidly ran away from, because of it's nasty cheap-looking plastic interior, a Renault Kadjar (from £19,875.00) which was 'so-so', a Škoda Kodiaq 5 / 7 seater (from £22,190.00) that I still think offers remarkable value for money and lastly a VW Tiguan (from £23,250.00), both of the last two affected by VW's diesel emission cheating scandal !

I only sat in the new 2017 Honda CR-V (from £23,475.00), but if I'm being totally honest, I was left feeling somewhat underwhelmed by it. Out of the five vehicles we drove, probably the most noteworthy one of the lot was the Škoda Kodiaq, but yet again when all the optional goodies were factored in, we were soon into £42,000.00 territory, which (let's face it) is still silly money, even for a Škoda !

The things that I love most so far about our KX-5 ?

The refined supple ride quality, decent body control and sound deadening measures combined with almost an astonishing lack of stress-inducing road/wind/tyre noise !

The mute button on the steering wheel, which enables me to instantaneously silence irritating adverts on commercial radio stations, without needing to turn off the radio....yippee !

The proximity sensor at night-time, which automatically detects that you're approaching the vehicle and gently illuminates an LED in the rear of both front handles, guiding you or your passenger reassuringly towards opening the front door(s)

The pin sharp non-reflective 8.00 inch infotainment / satellite navigation screen

The Reversing Camera (which optically seems oddly not as visibly sharp on the 8.0" screen as the sat-nav) ?

The really comfortable electrically adjustable leather seats

The light and airy cabin

The banks of easily controlled buttons on the dashboard, as opposed (quite frankly) to the potentially dangerous touch screens found in the new Range Rover Velar - quite literally an accident waiting to happen...watch this space !

The fact that you can purchase a full-size alloy wheel and tyre (it's not cheap) which will then fit underneath the rear floor panel, when the floor is raised to it’s highest setting, enabling you to store the 'space-saver' somewhere more convenient

The remote controlled key-fob operated Smart Power Tailgate

The 4.2” Supervision Cluster, that clearly shows which gear the car is actually in

The Automatic Light Control (which also turns on the main headlights at night, not just the sidelights !)

The luxurious Ventilated & Heated Front Seats......well, I suppose if an S Class Mercedes-Benz can have air-conditioned & heated ones then....

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

The Front and Rear Parking Sensors

The things that I would like improved on the KX-5 ?

Paddle Shift gear changers should be fitted on ALL Automatic gearboxes in the range, including the KX-5 !

Discreetly designed integrated front and rear dash-cams (optional)

4.2" Supervision Cluster should display digital speed in kph as well as mph (if travelling abroad, which we clearly intend doing)

Memory settings for both front seats & electric wing mirrors etc (for different drivers)

Bring back the old CD Player....Pritty Pleeze !

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:11pm
Thanks for your post Richard, I have only the fwd 1.7crdi in 4 trim which has most of the toys your KX5 has and I like to use website configurators to spec up other manufacturers' offerings.
Lately I've configured the Jaguar E-Pace using just the FWD drivetrain and it comes in around £37k, fully £10k more than my 4. If I could afford £37k I'd go for the automatic KX3 Sorento over the smaller Jag and stick with Kia regardless.
Enjoy your KX5. 

-------------
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 31k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Richard thanks for another very informative post. The smart power gate will be a major plus for me as my wife struggles to open and close the present one and just throws all the shopping in the back seat. Interested in what people who have also moved from a KX-4 to KX-5 see as the main differences and are these differences all of a positive nature.

-------------
Previous

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Hi toolpusher

Glad to be of assistance and I'm 100% convinced that you're going to absolutely love your time with the new Sportage KX-5, because I certainly do. 

So here are a few words of helpful advice. In order to use either of the two remote key fob(s) that operate the motorised tailgate (it's the bottom of the three polished metal buttons and clearly states HOLD with a logo) you'll need to press down on the lowest button and hold it there for about 2 seconds, at which point you'll hear a 'beep' and the tailgate should slowly open. There is also a dedicated button on the underside of the tailgate, which will also shut the rear door electronically if you press it once.

Unfortunately I've been so busy with loads of other stuff lately that I've hardly had any time at all to study the official 'Owner's Manual' properly, but I'll warn you in advance that it's about 1" thick, so you can always use it as a doorstop afterwards, should the need arise ! 

There is apparently a menu or option where you can set the tailgate to open to any desired height, which should hopefully protect it from inadvertently bashing into low ceilings (underground car parks etc) and ruining the shiny new paintwork (God forbid...LOL !)

Secondly, I've never previously owned or driven a car before with an electronic 'handbrake', so it takes quite a bit of getting used to, I can tell you. The second day I took our car to the local supermarket and when I attempted to lock the doors, they wouldn't do so !

I stood there like a right berk for a couple of minutes scratching my bald spot and wondering what I was doing wrong, until it suddenly dawned on me that I'd totally forgotten to apply the electronic 'handbrake'...doh ! As soon as I'd worked that one out, then voila and the job was done !

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:43pm
I have the KX-5 and I've never touched the electric handbrake.  You engage drive and the brake automatically disengages, turn off the car and the brake automatically engages.  I just turn on Auto Hold and off I go.

Posted By: PriestyUK
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:22pm
I find on my first edition it helps to engage the electronic hand break when on a slight slope or hill and prevents that slight jolting feeling as you take your foot off the brake after selecting park.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:02am

Hi Habu

Thanks for your informative reply and I've absolutely no doubt that you're totally correct regarding the operation of the Auto Hold button, although as I mentioned briefly in an earlier post, just lately I simply haven't had any spare time whatsoever to study the Owner's Manual in sufficient depth, nor experiment with the bewildering array of functions that are possible.

I quickly discovered that the electronic brake automatically disengages as one begins to drive off, but I'm afraid that some of the latest gadgetry still feels pretty counter-intuitive to an inveterate 'old codger' like me, because frankly I've known nothing other than pulling on a conventional cable-operated hand-brake lever to temporarily hold a vehicle stationary !!

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to briefly outline the intended purpose of the Auto Hold button, because my venerable old BMW 5-Series (E39) has a conventional torque-converter automatic transmission and if (for example) the vehicle is travelling on an upward incline and the hand-brake has not been applied, the transmission simply holds the vehicle stationary in that position without slipping backwards one iota....i.e: no problem.

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Habu Habu wrote:

I have the KX-5 and I've never touched the electric handbrake.  You engage drive and the brake automatically disengages, turn off the car and the brake automatically engages.  I just turn on Auto Hold and off I go.

Bit of an old timer myself Q is that the way its recommended on how to drive the car as that would do me fine just worried you might be wearing something out prematurely

-------------
Previous

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:12pm

I just turn on Auto Hold and off I go.

For me, it's exactly as 'Habu' has described.  When I first experienced an EPB on my previous car, it took me a little while to come to terms with it and trust it!  When I looked around for a replacement car, it was actually a 'must have' on my check list - manual handbrakes just seem so 20th century and we're well on the way to complete 'fly-by-wire' motoring in this second decade of the 21st century.  

I used to laugh at folk who bought cars simply because they has a lengthy equipment list but no longer - the safety aspects in particular on my present car have proved to be most useful on several occasions over the time I have owned it.

-------------
Indalo

Posted By: Pepys
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:58am
As others have said, thanks very much for a comprehensive post about the KX-5.
I'm thinking quite hard about getting one, & I'm keen to know what features you find useful & what simply doesn't get used once the novelty has worn off.

Have you used the Park Assist?

Sam

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:49am
Tried the auto park in an empty car park and it didn't find any spaces despite all sensors searching. Then drove to a fairly full car park, selected near side perpendicular parking and the car found a suitable spot as I drove slowly around. It's clever that it knows which spaces are suitable and, when they are, the scanning window in the supervision screen turns green and the car tells you to stop and engage reverse. After that the car gets on with the job itself with you just managing throttle and brake.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:24am
Let's say you come to a set of lights or level crossing is down, as an automatic driver you'd either sit with your foot on the brake or put the transmission into Park whilst your foot is on the brake. With the Auto Hold button selected when you come to a stop the car holds the car without you either sitting on the brake pedal or putting the the tranny into Park. The car remains in Drive but you don't need to keep your foot on the brake. It's just held there in Drive but the car doesn't move. When you're ready to start moving again just step on the throttle and the Auto Hold disengages.

The scenario above is the intended use of the Auto Hold button.

By the way, the button needs pressing each time you start the car. It doesn't stay on when you switch the car off.

It's worth noting that when you come to a stop make sure you give the brake pedal a firm-ish pressure. This will activate the Auto Hold function.   The words "Auto Hold" will turn from white to green when the system is activated. If the words remain white in colour give the brake pedal a firmer push.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:50pm

Hi again toolpusher

Here comes the second chapter !

With the government's punitive Car Tax (VED) banding measures now affecting new vehicles purchased in the UK after April 1st this year which cost over £40,000.00, we made a conscious decision to try (if at all possible) to stay below this dreaded limit.

Bearing in mind the 'cut-off' point of the above figure, I thought you might be intrigued to know about the other SUV's that we considered, which involved driving an Audi Q5 from £38,035.00*rrp, Jaguar F-Pace from £34,730.00*rrp, Mercedes GLC from £36,425.00*rrp and lastly Volvo's impressive new XC60 from £37,205.00*rrp.

Obviously you've got to bear in mind that the prices above are purely for *base level models only, but personally speaking I find the 'rrp from' figures in the four instances above to be borderline disingenuous.

Just be aware that when you've actually finished 'totting-up' the cost of all the optional extras you'd need to specify on an equivalent Audi Q5, Jaguar F-Pace, Mercedes GLC or Volvo XC60 (to match the ones which come as standard on the KX-5), then your financial resources will have taken a severe battering, typically to the tune of well in excess of £40,000+ to £50,000+ and still counting.....ouch !

Land Rover's 'yet-to-be-released' Range Rover Velar kicks off from £44,830.00, but you can realistically expect to shell out a sum of nearer £60,000.00+ to obtain all the toys that your heart desires.

The other candidates we tried were a Ford Kuga (from £21,615.00) 'ho hum' (yawn), a Land Rover Discovery Sport (from £28,355.00), which honestly didn't strike me as being anything particularly special, a Nissan X-Trail (from £22,855.00) which I rapidly ran away from, because of it's nasty cheap-looking plastic interior, a Renault Kadjar (from £19,875.00) which was 'so-so', a Škoda Kodiaq 5 / 7 seater (from £22,190.00) that we still think offers remarkable value for money and lastly a VW Tiguan (from £23,250.00), both of the last two affected by VW's diesel emission cheating scandal !

We sat in the new 2017 CR-V (from £23,475.00), but felt somewhat underwhelmed by the experience & didn't like the semi-dash mounted front gear lever. More significantly, would Honda kindly mind explaining the utter pointlessness of a panoramic glass sunroof that doesn't even bl**dy open one iota.....doh !

Out of the 5 vehicles we drove, the most noteworthy one of the lot was the Škoda Kodiaq, but yet again by the time all of the optional goodies had been factored in, we were soon climbing into £42,000.00 territory, which (let's face it) is still silly money, even for a Škoda !

The things that we love most so far about our KX-5 ?

The refined supple ride quality, decent body control and sound deadening measures combined with almost an astonishing lack of stress-inducing road/wind/tyre noise !

The mute button on the steering wheel, which enables me to instantaneously silence irritating adverts on commercial radio stations, without needing to turn off the radio....yippee !

The proximity sensor at night-time, which automatically detects that you're approaching the vehicle and gently illuminates an LED ingeniously located in the rear of both front handles, guiding you or your passenger reassuringly towards opening the front door(s)

The pin sharp vertically positioned non-reflective matte 8.00 inch infotainment / satellite navigation screen

The Reversing Camera (which strangely seems less sharp optically-speaking on the 8.0" screen than the high-resolution sat-nav display does) ?

The really comfortable luxurious electrically adjustable leather Ventilated & Heated Front Seats and Heated Rear Seats......well, I suppose if an S Class Mercedes-Benz can have air-conditioned & heated ones then....

The light and airy cabin immeasurably enhanced by the presence of a gorgeous full-length panoramic sunroof, which actually partially opens or tilts, unlike a few of it's immediate competitors !

The banks of conveniently accessed buttons on the dashboard, as opposed (quite frankly) to the potentially dangerous touch screens found in the new Range Rover Velar - quite literally an accident waiting to happen...watch this space !

The fact that you can purchase a full-size alloy wheel and tyre (it's not cheap) which will then fit underneath the rear floor panel, when the floor panel is raised to the highest of it's two levels, thus enabling you to store the 'space-saver' somewhere more convenient (garage etc).

The remote controlled key-fob operated Smart Power Tailgate

The 4.2” Supervision Cluster centrally positioned between the two circular analogue dials in the main instrument binnacle, that clearly shows which gear the transmission is actually in, plus loads of other useful information. My wife's previous 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.6 VVT-i T Spirit 5dr auto hatchback (for example) didn’t have this handy function, the absence of which regularly used to niggle me whenever I drove that vehicle !

The Automatic Light Control (which also turns on the main headlights - not just the sidelights - when it starts to get sufficiently dark enough at night !)

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

The Front and Rear Parking Sensors

The things that we would like to see improved on the KX-5 ?

Paddle Shift gear lever changers should be fitted on ALL Automatic gearboxes in the range as standard, including the KX-5 !

4.2" Supervision Cluster should display digital speed in kph as well as mph (when travelling abroad, which we clearly intend doing)

Memory settings for both front seats & electric wing mirrors etc (for different drivers)

Surely the front passenger seat of the KX-5 ought ALSO to have an electrically adjustable lumbar support (just like the driver's one), because you can rest assured that it's main occupant (she who must be obeyed at ALL times !) is not very happy about this unfortunate exclusion.

Kind regards

Richard

Posted By: Turnup
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 6:39pm

Let's say you come to a set of lights or level crossing is down, as an automatic driver you'd either sit with your foot on the brake or put the transmission into Park whilst your foot is on the brake. With the Auto Hold button selected when you come to a stop the car holds the car without you either sitting on the brake pedal or putting the the tranny into Park. The car remains in Drive but you don't need to keep your foot on the brake. It's just held there in Drive but the car doesn't move. When you're ready to start moving again just step on the throttle and the Auto Hold disengages.

The scenario above is the intended use of the Auto Hold button.

By the way, the button needs pressing each time you start the car. It doesn't stay on when you switch the car off.

It's worth noting that when you come to a stop make sure you give the brake pedal a firm-ish pressure. This will activate the Auto Hold function.   The words "Auto Hold" will turn from white to green when the system is activated. If the words remain white in colour give the brake pedal a firmer push.

In the UK driving as you describe during a driving test would earn one major fault each time the driver failed to engage either neutral or park after coming to a full stop (other than in moving traffic where it is clear you are going to start again almost immediately).  I also believe that standing on the brake pedal while stationary for more than a short time is a minor fault in the driving test - it is certainly very annoying to the car behind in the dark or rain - but a lot of people do it.  

-------------
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 7:44pm
Hi Habu

Hopefully you may appreciate my initial scepticism regarding the efficacy of the KX-5's extraordinary 'Auto Hold' function, when I explain to you that around the year 2000/2001, my oldest friend took me out for a fairly brief test-drive in a brand new Citroën C 5 (soon after it originally arrived in the U.K.) and I clearly recall it being the very first occasion that either of us had ever encountered an automobile equipped with a 'new-fangled' *'electronic' parking brake. His pained facial expression, tinged with looks of disapproval, reminded me about the oft-quoted adage:

"you can't teach an old dog new tricks".....how very true !

In fact during that earlier period, *'electronic handbrakes' were regarded by many with deep suspicion and mistrust, because there were a spate of very well-publicised incidents at the time where such systems had failed spectacularly, resulting in a distinct lack of faith by affected customers.

These unfortunate events apparently occurred when a number of different cars (on entirely unrelated occasions) equipped with this relatively modern *feature (I believe some Citroën and Vauxhall models ?) had been parked on a steeply inclined hill (for example). The drivers applied the new 'electronic handbrake' in good faith and then walked away, thinking nothing more about it.

Shortly thereafter (the length of time varied), the vehicle then either rolled backwards or forwards of it's own accord (obviously depending upon which direction the car was facing) and dramatically gathered momentum, unsurprisingly causing considerable damage when crashing into other vehicles and/or property as it did so !

I believe that the root cause of this problem was eventually traced to the fact that when conventional rear brake drums became hot and expanded under normal driving circumstances, when the *'electronic handbrake' was subsequently applied at the moment the car was parked, as the rear drums cooled down and the metal contracted, the required friction between the drum and the brake pad became insufficient to hold the vehicle stationary any longer, with the inevitable results simply caused as the laws of gravity 'kicked-in' !

No doubt this technology has gradually improved by leaps and bounds over many years of painstaking development, but this afternoon I took my KX-5 back to the supplying dealership (as I had a number of different questions to ask them) and the service manager drove the vehicle, with me as the front passenger, whilst explaining the finer points of the 'Auto Hold' function, which is really quite remarkable, once you learn how it operates !

Habu was of course absolutely spot-on when he stated:

Quote:

"It's worth noting that when you come to a stop, make sure you give the brake pedal a firm-ish pressure. This will activate the Auto Hold function. The words "Auto Hold" will turn from white to green when the system is activated. If the words remain white in colour, give the brake pedal a firmer push".

End Quote

Of course the only thing that the driver has to remember to do every time, immediately after starting the engine, is simply to get into the regular habit of depressing the 'Auto Hold' button in order for this clever device to take effect.

The demonstration of the 'Smart Park Assist' was something else altogether, because I hadn't realised that it would function on either side of the road, when parallel parking. I swear to God that there's a fiendish miniaturised South Korean devil furiously at work behind the scenes, as the steering-wheel mysteriously 'twirls' all of it's own volition ! To be truthful, I actually found the whole process somewhat unnerving upon first acquaintance, so it may very well take quite a while before I ever dare to summon up sufficient courage to invoke it's magical powers once again !

Many thanks to both Habu and others for so eloquently explaining in 'layman's language' how the 'Auto Hold' system functions and all things considered, I remain highly impressed by it !

Interestingly, during our conversation the service manager revealed that their dealership was experiencing a large amount of interest from ex Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz customers, who have slowly begun to realise what fantastic value both the 2017 Sportage and Sorento models represent.

Kind regards

Richard

Posted By: mobi
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:20am
I currently have a Kia Ceed and my potential next car is going to be Kia Sportage. Still can't figure out whether to go for KX4 or GT Line model.

The petrol model does not get AEB feature. Confused
None of Sportage models get Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) feature Cry even though this is offered in Optima, Niro, Sorento etc.

I asked dealer why is that and reply was Kia place Optima in a higher bracket than Sportage.

Since Sportage is now Kia's best selling model I think Kia won't bother introducing ACC in near future. However, I feel frustrated that petrol models, even costs as much as diesel, don't get all KX4/KX5 features. Angry

Also, can't figure out whether to go for petrol or diesel model. My mileage is varies a lot due to type of work. So either petrol or diesel might work. However, the resale value of diesel is likely fall much faster than petrol.

I shall wait few more months to see if Kia makes any changes to Sportage. 

-------------
2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol

Posted By: ianv
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:05am
Hi Richard,
Learjet & KX5, used to be Learjet & Range Rover.
(Neither are mine by the way)

-------------
2014 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX4
2010 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX3
2009 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE Titan

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:39pm
Hi ianv

Thanks for the interesting photo, but personally speaking I would have wisely decided to leave the Learjet behind and flown the KX-5 instead. Let me elucidate further...

Having recently paid a visit to our supplying Kia dealership in order to have some accessories fitted to the car, I inquired as to what the purpose of the 'Drive Mode' button might be.

After receiving a satisfactory explanation from the experienced 'boffins' at the Service Department, we subsequently collected our SUV and gingerly joined the traffic flow. Leaving a sufficiently large gap in front of me, I cautiously pushed the 'Drive Mode' button and then shortly thereafter depressed the accelerator pedal, at which point the 2.0Ltr Sportage took off like a proverbial 'scalded cat' !!!

By the time I'd finally managed to contact Air Traffic Control, we'd climbed smoothly to an altitude of approx 30,000 feet, at which point I engaged the Cruise Control function on the steering wheel, leaned back in the comfortable front seat and then simply let the Satellite Navigation System take us home !!!

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 3:24am

Hi Mobi

You have my total sympathy in your perplexing quest to select the specific version to aim for in the present bewildering hierarchy of Sportage SUV's, but I sincerely believe that Kia is unintentionally 'shooting itself in the foot' by rigidly clinging to such an extremely limited pre-specified 'one-size-fit's all' approach.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, had my wife and I not viewed the genuinely beautiful two-tone light grey interior of Kia's tasteful KX-5 SUV (which fortunately for us happened to be on display in our nearest Kia showroom that afternoon) combined with it's stunning airy full-length panoramic glass sunroof, then there is the distinct likelihood that we may never have even bothered taking it out for a test drive.

This would not only have been to our incalculable loss, but inevitably resulted in a detrimental sale to one of their direct competitors ! Looking at things purely from Kia's standpoint, a restricted choice must admittedly make producing their selection of vehicles far easier to manufacture, whilst at the same time also keeping the production lines running efficiently and reducing costs to keep prices low.

Now I'm naively assuming (perhaps incorrectly ?) that the 'four-size-fit's-all' 1 to K4 and KX-1 to KX-4 four-wheel-drive models account for the main bulk of the company's UK SUV sales figures, if we temporarily exclude just for one moment the somewhat pricier upper echelon encompassing the KX-5, GT-Line, GT-Line Edition and GT-Line S.

I should state at the outset that we vehemently detest black interiors, which immediately ruled out everything between models 1 to K4 and KX-1 to KX-4 for both of us. Firstly, we find this colour has a distinct tendency to induce an unpleasant sense of claustrophobia (particularly in such a confined space as a car's cabin) and secondly it makes the inside unbearably hot to sit in during the summer months, especially if the sun has been beating down mercilessly on it's roof for a number of hours beforehand.

If the amount of choice for Kia's customers had been far wider than it currently is, then we would have probably favoured a petrol automatic variant, primarily for no other reason than the frenzied media-driven EU offensive vilifying diesel-engined automobiles, which is chiefly being generated by high-profile individuals such as London's Mayor Sadiq Khan, plus numerous government politicians and eco-mentalists. There will predictably also be a noticeable knock-on effect further down the line, which is likely to seriously hit residual values in years to come, so it's definitely something to bear in mind.

Mindlessly tarring the newest EU6 compliant diesel cars with the same brush as older visibly polluting ones with knackered engines is fairly counterproductive imho and belies the billions in investment that the motor industry have continued to plough into R&D, in a seemingly vain attempt to rectify their previous failings.

However, that would have been to do Kia's 2.0 litre EU6 diesel engine a MASSIVE disservice, as this astonishing power-plant is so smooth and free from any discernible vibration or intrusive noise (even audibly from the confines of the cabin) that it's simply a sheer delight to drive.

Ironically, this diesel engine emits less measurable CO2 than many contemporary petrol engines, but with the 'Drive Mode' button engaged and the 'Sport' icon appearing on the Tachometer dial, the boundless supply of low-down torque makes the car surge forward at the slightest provocation, so if I were you I'd keep a wary eye out for speed cameras, because you'll certainly arrive at them well before you'd anticipated  !

The 'Auto Hold' button is so simple (yet utterly brilliant in it's conception) that once you've become used to using it for a while, you begin to wonder why ALL other automatic vehicles are not so endowed ! Just remember to press the button immediately after you've started the engine and the process soon becomes second nature.

The spurious and nonsensical argument that Kia place the Optima in a higher (perceived / price ?) bracket than the Sportage is quite frankly the biggest load of old bunkum and hogwash I've yet heard. As you correctly state, the latest Sportage is the biggest seller in their entire range by quite some considerable margin. Period !

So, here are the things that I would like to have seen available as options on ALL 2017 Sportages, in the following alphabetical order:

• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) - A strange omission, given all the other safety-orientated stuff ?
  • Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) 
  • Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear-Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) on models further down the 'pecking-order'
  • Kia Satellite Navigation System with full UK speed camera warning database
  • Light-grey two-tone interior (leather or cloth)
  • Memory buttons for both electric front seat settings and their respective mirrors
  • Paddle Shifts (Steering Wheel gear change)

Please feel free to add your own list of wanted features….

Kind regards

Richard

Posted By: Bazzerby
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:29am
Hi Richard,

I love your posts, they're always worth reading ... Smile

The two things that have always amazed me by their absence in my First Edition are ACC and memory buttons for the drivers seat position ... I think it has just about everything else covered but then they have to keep something on hold to entice people into buying a new model.

Regards
Barry

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:05am

The spurious and nonsensical argument that Kia place the Optima in a higher (perceived / price ?) bracket than the Sportage is quite frankly the biggest load of old bunkum and hogwash I've yet heard. 

As one who considered both models before eschewing the Sportage in favour of the Optima SW, what am I missing?  From memory, the most expensive Sportage at the time I was looking around was very similar in list price to the top-of-the-range Optima model.

-------------
Indalo

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:36am
Hi Indalo

According to Kia's current UK website (which purely for peace of mind, I just checked online a few moments ago), the RRP for their Sportage KX-5 SUV officially starts at £32,525.00, plus the optional Premium Paint (metallic finish) which I selected, adding another £575.00 into the final equation, making a grand total of £33,100.00 spondulicks, although I obviously paid nowhere near that amount !

http://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/sportage/pricing/" rel="nofollow - http://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/sportage/pricing/

The same website: 

http://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/optima/" rel="nofollow - http://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/optima/

...states that an Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S starts at around £29,555.00but I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea what options are available for this vehicle ?

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi Richard,
I have a few dilemmas.
I test drove a GTLS back in May this year http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/at-last_topic36550.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/at-last_topic36550.html
Really liked it, but, as you say the option list between models is strange.
I like the GTLS’s styling, but it lacks the features which the KX5 has.
I find the KX5 a bit bland on the exterior considering its the top of the range.
(Then again I’m sitting on the inside).
For me the cordless phone charging is pointless unless you buy a phone that can be charged this way & powered tailgate is unnecessary, for me anyway.
So GTLS or KX5?

Now! the wife is saying, ”why do you need such a large car, buy a Stonic”
(Must have been named by a KIA exec with a lisp).
I think the Sportage is just the right size.

Then there is my old KX4, 48K Miles & never missed a beat, nothing wrong with it at all, so do I really need to spend all that money on a GTLS or KX5… Agrrr

Also the son is coming back on leave with his family & guess who’s car they will use…. Defer new car until October me thinks.
Hey toolpusher, what made you choose the KX5?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm
The KX-5 is my first diesel and, yes, it's torquey but I would have preferred the petrol auto GTLS for its sportier look (although I now have under trays on my 5).  For me the deciding factor with the 5 was having cooled seats, electric handbrake, electric tailgate, BSM and RCTA.  The GTLS was so very close but just missed out on stuff I needed.

Peter

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ianv ianv wrote:

H

Hey toolpusher, what made you choose the KX5?

Three main things I expect always  fancy the top of the range with cars so that when people discuss everything I know what they are on about. Used to have Audi's but soon came to understand I could never ever ever afford top of the range there. With Kia sporty I can just about do so. So that's the first totally absurd reason 

Second reason I want the auto tailgate which my wife needs as she struggles to shut the tailgate and just fires all the shopping into the back seats. So that is a good practical reason.

GTLS versus KX-5  I am 60 + and not very sporty so thought I would look better in a KX-5 which I expect is even more of an absurd reason then the first reason SmileSmile

-------------
Previous

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:48pm

Hi again ianv

Ah, decisions, decisions....

Having studied Kia's UK online website in a little more depth, I observed a number of niggling things, the worst of which is that the GT-Line, GT-Line Edition and GT-Line S versions are all blighted by those dreadful-looking LED 'Ice-Cube' Front Fog Lights, which my wife & I took an instant dislike to when we first encountered them in the showroom, but of course as the Yanks 'across the pond' are fond of saying, "ymmv".

As for your 'significant other half' (who must obviously be obeyed at all times, without further question) saying "why do you need such a large car, buy a Stonic"

For an appropriate reply, check out the web link below:

http://www.automobiledimension.com/compact-suv.php" rel="nofollow - I have compiled (especially for the benefit of yourself & your wife) a comparative table of compact SUV lengths, because everything below the Kia Sportage is actually longer than it is:

COMPACT SUV                     LENGTH

Kia Sportage                               4.480 mm

Volkswagen Tiguan                  4.486 mm

Ford Kuga                                 4.524 mm

Mazda CX-5                                4.450 mm

Land-Rover Discovery Sport    4.599 mm

Honda CR-V                             4.605 mm

Toyota RAV4                            4.605 mm

Jeep Cherokee                           4.623 mm

Peugeot 5008                            4.641 mm

Mercedes-Benz GLC SUV       4.656 mm

Audi Q5                                    4.663 mm

BMW X4                                  4.671 mm

Renault Koleos                         4.673 mm

Volvo XC60                              4.688 mm

Hyundai Santa Fe                     4.690 mm

Nissan X-Trail                          4.690 mm

Mitsubishi Outlander                4.695 mm

Skoda Kodiaq                           4.697 mm

BMW X3                                  4.708 mm

"I rest my case, M'Lud." I'd get thee down to thy nearest Kia dealership sharpish.....it look's like it's pretty much game, set and match, as far as I can see !!

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:22pm

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S starts at around £29,555.00but I'm afraid I haven't the faintest idea what options are available for this vehicle ?

The Optima SW GT-Line  S list price when I bought mine Nov 16 was over 31K but at that time, there were no options and only 3 colours.  If it is now even cheaper, I can even less see the argument  you make.

You have referenced the price but my question was, 'What am I missing?'  I quite like the Sportage range but the estate car remains the best kept secret in motoring.  I don't buy fashion as depicted in glossy ads and I avoid the kind of cars that ladies' hairdressers and nail technicians drive.  Most particularly, I don't buy white since it took over from silver as the must-have colour.

If I wanted to buy something that looks like an off-road capable vehicle with lots of ground clearance,  it would need to have AWD and would be capable of actually doing more off road than crossing a grassy field. Kia/Hyundai don't make anything like that yet.

-------------
Indalo

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 2:04am
Hi Indalo

Like toolpusher, I'm also in my mid 60's, but have honestly never cared a fig about projecting any type of idealised 'image' that might possibly be reflected in the sort of vehicle(s) that I drive. Cigar-smoking Jaguar owners, anyone ? Neither has fashion held the slightest appeal to me in any way whatsoever, which is why I always shape my own opinion about things and don't rely entirely upon the views of others before coming to a final decision.

The primary reason we initially began investigating SUV's in the first place was two-fold: a) simply because as we begin to get older, they offer far easier access to a vehicle's interior than many low-slung saloons do nowadays and b) they also provide a much higher vantage-point from which to appreciate one's surroundings, when travelling through beautiful scenery or countryside etc.

We have never previously owned a diesel-powered conveyance (nor a white coloured car, for that matter), but being fully retired were able to spend sufficient time fully evaluating and test-driving at least a dozen different makes of SUV, before settling on our beautiful Kia Sportage KX-5.

We kept an open mind when evaluating SUV's from established prestige marques such as Audi, BMW, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo (to name but a few), but although we happen to be in the extremely fortunate financial position of affording to purchase a 'top-of-the-range' SV Autobiography should we so desire, the steep depreciation involved in this matter is just not practical, unless you particularly enjoy annually setting fire to a £40,000.00 bundle of pound notes !!!

We can safely say from personal experience that our extraordinarily refined 2.0 L Kia diesel automatic is the equal of any of it's supposedly superior *competitors and in our considered opinion rides smoother and handles way better than any of them. The fact that it also undercuts these *rivals price-wise by a significant margin is surely the final 'icing-on-the-cake', if not abetted by the reassuring 7-year warranty.

The sheer idiocy that Land Rover are shortly releasing on an unsuspecting public in the shape of their svelte new Range Rover Velar, complete with it's twin-screen touch-operated central console via two control dials is imho simply a serious RTA waiting to happen.

All it will take is for a driver to momentarily divert their attention sufficiently long enough from concentrating on the road ahead in a vain attempt to stab at an on-screen icon to adjust the ventilation (for example) and they will either find themselves ploughing into adjacent motorists or smashing into the central reservation barrier at high speed with predictable consequences !

The clearly laid-out raft of horizontal buttons on the Sportage's dashboard are one of it's saving graces and I have already memorised which switches control what, more-or-less purely by feel. The tactile on/off volume knob and the opposite rotary 'magnify' dial for the pin-sharp 8.0" screen of the Satellite Navigation screen 'beat the living daylights' out of touch-screen versions found elsewhere on different manufacturer's SUV's and consequently leave no tell-tale trail of greasy finger-prints dotted everywhere.

I have no problem at all with estate cars, because my older brother has run Volvo versions for longer than he would care to remember, so 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

In all likelihood I may never 'go seriously off-road' in the foreseeable future, but it's reassuring to know that 'should the going ever get tough' during the wintertime, that the 'locking differential' will keep you moving when rear-wheeled vehicles are slithering all over the place, trying to gain traction.

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
Hi toolpusher,
Good point, I'd never thought about the the auto closing, it is useful for people who are challenged height wise.
As for looking good in a KX5.. ...Me ... ..I'm in my 60's also, feel good yes, look good nah

Hi Richard,
I've always thought the Sportage has just the right proportions. There is a guy at work who parks in the space next to me with either a BMW 3 estate or a Q7 both of which have their @rses hanging out & the later he struggles getting out of the door - stupid size for our parking spaces.
And for the people that bleat about their diamond cut wheels, this Q7 that probably cost a squillion quid, all its wheels are corroded. These wheels are high maintenance, a smear of ACF50 now & then has worked on my last 2 Sportages.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:37am

The KX-5 is my first diesel and, yes, it's torquey but I would have preferred the petrol auto GTLS for its sportier look (although I now have under trays on my 5).  For me the deciding factor with the 5 was having cooled seats, electric handbrake, electric tailgate, BSM and RCTA.  The GTLS was so very close but just missed out on stuff I needed.

Peter

Hi Peter,
I think you will enjoy the driveabilty that the diesel has over the petrol and economy.
This anti diesel nonsense should be squarely aimed at the old unmaintained vehicles e.g. buses and not the modern diesels.

The GTLS I drove was very very nice, but I would have thought it should have come with BSM, RCTA and the Automous Braking System (I believe this lowers your insurance premium I think?).
I thought it also had ventilated seats, but having relooked at the spec I may be wrong.
One thing that the wife did like was the height adjustable passenger seat - she has always said her seat was to low.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
Hi again ianv  

You are so right about what you said regarding the electrically-controlled height-adjustable passenger seat in the KX-5, because for many decades a surprising number of other car manufacturers have seemed happy enough to contemptuously treat front passengers with utter disdain in this respect, rather as though they are some kind of 'second-class citizen' ! 

Secondly, why on earth do motor manufacturers believe it acceptable practice to provide the driver's seat with an electrically adjustable lumbar support, but NOT the accompanying occupant, typically (if not always) one's spouse ? 

And whilst I'm still 'standing on my soap-box', surely it's about time that those bloated mega-buck 'luxo-barges' churned-out by the likes of Bentley, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Rolls-Royce came with a full 'no questions asked' 10-year manufacturer's warranty ? I mean to say, it's not as if these bl**dy cars don't cost enough in the first place, now is it ! 

You also 'hit the nail squarely on the head' when mentioning poorly maintained diesel-polluting cars:

Quote:

"This anti diesel nonsense should be squarely aimed at the old un-maintained vehicles e.g. buses and not the modern diesels."

End Quote:

Yet again, London's Mayor Sadiq Kahn aims his disproportionately misjudged comments at the easiest target (i.e. motorists), when he should actually be bringing pressure to bear on the global shipping industry, whether that be container vessels or cruise ships, which pump-out VASTLY greater quantities of air-polluting fumes into the atmosphere than current cleaner EU6 diesel-compliant vehicles do !

Kerosene-powered air-polluting passenger jet aircraft are also mysteriously left out of the equation, because they conveniently happen to bring billions of much-needed currency into HM Treasury's Coffers. Strange that omission, isn't it !!

Kind regards

Richard

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 9:03pm
Mmm... Do you remember doctors against diesels? Now remind me, what do ambulances run on.

-------------

Posted By: mobi
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:15pm
Quote everything below the Kia Sportage is actually longer than it

Personally I never found length to be a problem - but often the width is more of a limiting factor for parking in tight space Big smile

Kia now has too many models. Even within Sportage the trim levels are too confusing. It is like Tesco offering 99 types of cornflakes! But now Tesco realized Lidl is doing the right thing by offering only 10 types of cornflakes - so they are killing lots of unnecessary product lines.

Kia also needs to clean up their model lines. Competitors e.g. Toyota RAV4, offers ACC, AEB in all of their trips - starting from the very basic level. I hope by next year of so Sportage will receive all these features. Don't want to move to other brands after owning 2 Kia's at a stretch. But if Kia doesn't play nice they I have no choice.

-------------
2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:03pm
Hi mobi

Length is definitely a limiting factor when attempting to park your SUV in a typically congested city centre, which being recently retired, both my wife & I have every intention of doing a great deal more of across much of central Europe and Scandinavia, during the next few years or so.

Just try squeezing an SV Autobiography into a 'tight-spot' to see precisely what I mean ! Fine if you are able to employ a full-time chauffeur, who can conveniently drop your wife off in the middle of Knightsbridge to do the odd spot of shopping, but then spend the rest of the day circling fruitlessly around Harrods in a futile attempt to locate a big enough space to deposit such a behemoth !!!!   

In fact overall dimensions were one of the key factors involved when selecting our KX-5 over larger and more expensive rivals like Skoda's impressive Kodiaq etc, but the Sportage suits us both fine and has plenty of space to spread out and relax !

Rather than currently attempting to force potential customers down a fairly restrictive path of model choice, I would prefer that Kia offer their clientele a FAR greater selection of options to choose from, so that people can precisely tailor the specification of a new vehicle and personalise it to their actual requirements !

The things that we would like to see improved on the KX-5 ? (copied from one of my previous posts).

Metal (not cheap plastic !) Paddle Shift gear lever changers need to be fitted on ALL Automatic gearboxes

4.2" Supervision Cluster should display digital speed in kph as well as mph (when travelling abroad) like the Sorento does...tut, tut !

Front passenger seat electrically adjustable lumbar support

More to the point, I believe that in adopting such an approach, Hyundai / Kia would thereby generate a considerably larger profit margin and thus keep their share-holders happy ?

I also agree about adding Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) to the Sportage's arsenal of safety kit, but that will probably be incorporated whenever the new Sportage is released in future.

Interestingly, whilst I was over at our local Toyota dealership waiting to pick-up a set of new floor mats for my wife's old Corolla, I took the opportunity of strolling over to their showroom and briefly sat in the latest RAV4, only to discover disappointingly that even with the driver's seat set fully back, there was insufficient legroom for me to get really comfortable, which I was fairly surprised about, being only 6' tall !

Kind regards

Richard  

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:26am
Hi RAMRaider1.

With regard to your comment on a customised options list rather than set models from Kia I tended to agree, but I read recently about future road taxation and the fact every option adds CO2 output because of its weight perhaps? (eg a panoramic open/close roof?). It's interseting that Kia's own emissions data does not change by trim level, nor by wheel dimension which was the case with my previous Gen3 Sportage.

I'll search for the web page I read the article on and post a link below, apologising at the same time for my digression from the topic subject.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:35am
I'm still looking for the link on options and VED but in the meantime found this article about why many manufacturers bundle options (which is essentially Kia's trim level strategy) rather than offer singularly.
Of course it comes down to economy of scale and the bottom line whilst making it cheaper for the buyer.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-a-car-why-do-so-many-options-come-in-packages-240464" rel="nofollow - https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-a-car-why-do-so-many-options-come-in-packages-240464

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm

snip lots

The fact that you can purchase a full-size alloy wheel and tyre (it's not cheap) which will then fit underneath the rear floor panel, when the floor panel is raised to the highest of it's two levels, thus enabling you to store the 'space-saver' somewhere more convenient (garage etc).

Hi,

I'm looking pretty hard at a KX5 & will be towing a caravan, so I will need a full-size spare wheel & not that silly "space saver" thing.

Can someone confirm that a full size spare will fit under the floor panel (at its highest level).

Second, the (near identical) Hyundai Tucsan does come with a full-size spare (at the same trim level) so why the £%^&*( is it not even an option on the Sportage?

Buy a car with a space saver - throw away the space saver - spend even more money on a wheel and tyre.

It just seems daft that a popular towcar seems to go out of it way to avoid catering for people who tow.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:10am
Hi Pepys

I'm delighted to confirm that on our new June 2017 Sportage KX-5, by re-positioning the removable floor panel in the rear 'boot' area to the higher of it's two levels, there is indeed sufficient space to comfortably accommodate a full-sized tyre & alloy (plus loads of extra stuff besides), which despite the additional cost is eventually what we decided to do.

Imho, 'spacesavers' are more-or-less precisely the opposite of what you require - a waste of space !

You don't exactly have to be Einstein in order to figure out that the two main reasons why the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers nowadays fail to include a spare-wheel is evidently because:
  1. It saves them a considerable amount of money in the process....hooray for greedy shareholders !
  2. Omitting it's weight theoretically improves the car's official government mpg figures (joke !), but probably not in the case of the VW Group and correlated offenders...you know who you are....tut tut !
I appreciate that you might actually find this quite hard to believe, but in fact one of the SUV's we took out for a brief test-drive (prior to choosing our beautiful Sportage) had a circular 'sub-woofer' fitted in the boot-space, where (in olden days) you would normally have expected to find a spare !

Now ask yourself a simple question: what would you prefer to find in the unforeseen event of a puncture ?
  • A proper full-size spare-wheel in the boot ?
or alternatively...... 
  • A bangin' sub-woofer ?

Purely for your edification, the guilty offender in this instance was a Renault Kadjar that also featured an airy full-length panoramic sunroof, which (unlike the Kia) stupidly doesn't even open !

So let's imagine the following scenario. It's high summer somewhere down in the south of France and your Renault SUV has been parked outdoors in the sun for a couple hours whilst you've been off sight-seeing. You return to the baking hot interior of your vehicle and think: I'll just open the sunroof for a minute-or-so to release the oppressive heat......and then realise to your utter horror that - "damn it all, I can't" !

South Korea 2 - France 0 !  "Quelle surprise, non"....

Just in case you hadn't noticed, about a decade or so ago a similar disease spread to the clueless designers of wafer-thin flat-screen TV's, who inevitably had little option but to supply them with tinny loudspeakers, subsequently obliging customers to shell-out further expenditure on soundbars that quite often exceed the cost of the bl**dy television !

Kind regards

Richard

-------------
New shape 2017 Sportage KX-5 2.0L 182bhp diesel Infra-red 6-speed Auto.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:25am

Hi Pepys

I'm delighted to confirm that on our new June 2017 Sportage KX-5, by re-positioning the removable floor panel in the rear 'boot' area to the higher of it's two levels, there is indeed sufficient space to comfortably accommodate a full-sized tyre & alloy (plus loads of extra stuff besides), which despite the additional cost is eventually what we decided to do.

Thanks for that.

What wheel & tyre did you buy (from Kia or other source?) and what, roughly, should I expect to have to pay? 

Sam

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:02am
Hi Sam

To the best of my knowledge, both the new alloy and the requisite tyre for the Sportage are only available to order solely via the Parts Department of your nearest/preferred Kia garage.

If I correctly recall, when I initially enquired whether or not spares were available to purchase from independent suppliers, I was informed by a member of staff to whom I spoke that Kia had in fact purchased the entire UK supply of these tyres, thereby not only guaranteeing continued stocks for their customers, but neatly cornering the entire market in the process - a clever trick to pull off !

Quite what you are supposed to do about this matter in the unanticipated event of experiencing a puncture outside the normal opening hours of your nearest Kia dealership, then I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure, so the supplied space-saver would evidently appear to be your best first option.

However, it seems fairly unlikely that the main breakdown services would carry these tyres on-board one of their vans, should you or another driver ever need to call upon their assistance !

Assuming that you're purchasing a new Sportage from a main dealer, when collecting the SUV from them, amongst all the other paperwork you should also be supplied with a credit-card-sized 'Kia Loyalty Card', which entitles you to a 10% discount on all purchased Spare Parts and Accessories, in addition to Servicing and Repairs, so I hope this info will be of some use to you ?

Kind regards

Richard

-------------
New shape 2017 Sportage KX-5 2.0L 182bhp diesel Infra-red 6-speed Auto.

Posted By: martyg
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:00am
Hi All
I also tow a caravan and wanted a full size wheel as a spare, I bought a 17 inch steel wheel from the site below and then fitted it with a correct size tyre to make up the right diameter. They offer 16 inch or 17 inch wheels I have a KX4 so I bought the 17 inch to make sure it would be big enough to fit over the brake calipers. It fits in the spare wheel cut out in the boot and I am pleased as it only cost me all in £130.
This is the site I used 
https://www.oponeo.co.uk" rel="nofollow - https://www.oponeo.co.uk

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:22am
I've 'discussed' this with the salesman at my local dealer.

They've agreed to supply a full size spare, along with the towbar & electrics on a KX5 for what I think is a reasonable price.

I'll mull it over for a couple of days, but I'm pretty sure I'll go for it - provided there are no hidden surprises.

Posted By: PaulD
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:26am
Wish I'd read this before getting mine as I've just got the gunk.

Posted By: Uvox2
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:46pm
I got a spare for my Venga, a full size alloy complete with hardly used tyre from a write off Venga, at a local scrapyard for £70 cash.

I recommend anyone needing a full size spare to ring the local scrappy to see if they have one.

They take the wheel off for you and online scrapyards even take PayPal!

Paul

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk