Category: KIA Models
Forum Name: Sportage 2016+
Forum Description: For model years 2016+
URL: http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36502
Printed Date: 24 May 2018 at 12:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Auto High Beam - can it stay on?
Posted By: Habu
Subject: Auto High Beam - can it stay on?
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:16pm
My lights are set to Auto but I seem to have to activate AHB each time I get in by pushing the high beam stalk forward.  Is there a way to keep it set on so each time I get in it shows AHB on the dash?  It's not a big deal if I have to activate it each time I get in.  I'm probably a bit spoilt from the Lexus GS I had previously as everything was auto including AHB, seats heaters and ventilators, handbrake, etc.

Thanks.

Peter

Replies:
Posted By: MerlinL14
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:18pm
I think trying to compare what the Sportage does in relation to a Lexus is going to leave you pretty deflated.

-------------
Sportage ISG 2 Dark Gunmetal Grey (Delivered 19/9/16)Still lovin' the way people ogle at my car

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:15pm
It was worth a try re the Auto High Beam.Smile

I love the Sportage despite having to push a button or so to turn things on.LOL

Posted By: Bassa66
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:22am
Do not think so, it is amazing actually that it stays readily active and all we have to do is push thestalk forward when the lights are on, on the VX Mokka I had to reset it every time it was needed so for me this is luxury. 

infra red gt line 1.6gdit 

Posted By: Cornish dave
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Habu Habu wrote:

My lights are set to Auto but I seem to have to activate AHB each time I get in by pushing the high beam stalk forward.  Is there a way to keep it set on so each time I get in it shows AHB on the dash?  It's not a big deal if I have to activate it each time I get in.  I'm probably a bit spoilt from the Lexus GS I had previously as everything was auto including AHB, seats heaters and ventilators, handbrake, etc.

Thanks.

Peter

Did you not test drive and search before you bought it to see if it would suit you compared to the Lexus

Posted By: Signman
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:06am
Habu said - I'm probably a bit spoilt from the Lexus GS I had previously as everything was auto including AHB, seats heaters and ventilators, handbrake, etc. I love the Sportage despite having to push a button or so to turn things on

So Habu, how do you feel about having to press two or three pedals with your foot and spin a wheel in front of you to direct the car? LOL I think you will love fully autonomous vehicles when/if they ever become commercially available

-------------
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 40k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Cornish dave Cornish dave wrote:

Thanks.

Peter

Did you not test drive and search before you bought it to see if it would suit you compared to the Lexus

Yup, good test drive that convinced me to buy the car based on driveability, handling, noise level, nav & radio use, etc. The car does suit me a lot (I wouldn't have paid for it otherwise) but I was simply asking if it was possible to have the AHB on all the time rather than setting it each time I got in the car. My comment wasn't a criticism, merely just asking a question. Jeez.

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:56am
Habu - I don't know if you have the ISG on your trim, but that is another system where the default is determined by Kia and you have to press a button to change it each time.
However, if you have BLIS the default is ON, but if you turn the system off it remains off the subsequent times you use the car - I know this because I got the interior cleaned once and they must have pressed the button whilst the engine was running....it took me a few trips to notice the mirror icons were not illuminating and to turn the system back on whilst wondering how it got turned off & stayed off.

I have to agree it would be good if all systems you want on or off remain so with each journey, but Kia obviously think otherwise!

-------------
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 40k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.

Posted By: Bassa66
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:06pm
Welcome to the site Habu, do ask whatever you like, you will get some body who may be able to help, so do not be put off if some answers are a bit sarcy we seem to have a bit of laugh now and again lifes toooooo short for being seriouuus  all the time. 

Enjoy the car, I feel I am driving a new car every time I start mine up. 

Barry      

Posted By: Turnup
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:12pm
I use neither auto nor auto high beam:

The IAM advise against auto headlights because, particularly in forested roads, the headlights can decide to turn on, and then off again a short while later.  This might be mis-interpreted by other drivers as some kind of signal.

The Auto high beam, I find is just too slow to react.  Both dipping for oncoming traffic on a bend, it is too late to avoid dazzling the poor blighter.  And return to high beam is also very slow.

Keep control of your lights.

For that matter I also find the Lane Keep functions to be entirely superfluous - what is the point?  If you can't keep to your lane then you really should not be driving.

-------------
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:05pm
So you are saying you can permanently turn off the infernal auto main beam thing? I have lane assist turned off as it is of no benefit, but was unaware you can turn off auto main beam.

-------------
Sportage ISG 2 Dark Gunmetal Grey (Delivered 19/9/16)Still lovin' the way people ogle at my car

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:37pm
It is off by default. Only when you need high beam and push the stalk forward does it employ. I don't ever need high beam for my usual driving but I have tried it out of interest on one back road between Gravesend and Strood. It worked very well, but to turn it off I pushed the stalk forward and held for a couple of seconds. 

-------------

Posted By: minghis
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Turnup Turnup wrote:

The IAM advise against auto headlights because, particularly in forested roads, the headlights can decide to turn on, and then off again a short while later.  This might be mis-interpreted by other drivers as some kind of signal.

The Auto high beam, I find is just too slow to react.  Both dipping for oncoming traffic on a bend, it is too late to avoid dazzling the poor blighter.  And return to high beam is also very slow.

For that matter I also find the Lane Keep functions to be entirely superfluous - what is the point?  If you can't keep to your lane then you really should not be driving.

Well said. I find the auto light function very slow to put full beam. Also I like to have full beam on if driving in lit but not well lit areas. Can't do this with the auto function. And as for the lane departure, I'd rather have a CD player or better headlights please Kia.   

-------------
2016 KX-3 Auto

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by MerlinL14 MerlinL14 wrote:

So you are saying you can permanently turn off the infernal auto main beam thing? I have lane assist turned off as it is of no benefit, but was unaware you can turn off auto main beam.

Auto main beam only works if you have the headlight switch set to "Auto" and while the lights are actually on you press the dip stalk away from you. 

If you turn the headlight switch all the way past "Auto" (2 clicks past "Auto") you have a conventional manual dip/main control on the stalk - push away for main and pull towards for dip.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:28pm

If you turn the headlight switch all the way past "Auto" (2 clicks past "Auto") you have a conventional manual dip/main control on the stalk - push away for main and pull towards for dip.
Just the snippet of information and sage that I needed. I was always fighting with auto main beam, just never made the connection with the stalk switch position. Gratis.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by Cornish dave Cornish dave wrote:

Thanks.

Peter

Yup, good test drive that convinced me to buy the car based on driveability, handling, noise level, nav & radio use, etc. The car does suit me a lot (I wouldn't have paid for it otherwise) but I was simply asking if it was possible to have the AHB on all the time rather than setting it each time I got in the car. My comment wasn't a criticism, merely just asking a question. Jeez.

Sorry just my twisted sence of humour the emoji was to show this   

Posted By: Mike999
Date Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:16am

OMG Go get the man with the red flag back. Dead May I suggest you might be more suited to an Austin 7 sir! Wink

If every car had Auto High Beam then the dam Spaniards would have no choice but to dip their lights for oncoming traffic. They don't, and just keep theirs on high beam regardless!

As for Lane Assist. I found it very useful recently when I was down to 30kph on a 5 lane motorway in a torrential rain storm on the Costa del Sol and couldn't make out the lane markings at all, BUT the Lane Assist certainly could and kept me on the straight and narrow. Very useful safety equipment.Thumbs Up

-------------
2016 Sportage 1.7 CRDi Drive in Infra Red

Posted By: KevinBattle
Date Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:17am
Every car manufacturer now seems to load their models with lots of miscellaneous equipment. However, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in ensuring that safety items are always installed, or available as Options, and the Mix'n Match approach seems to leave some lower models with better equipment than top of the range.
That means that drivers when switching from one manufacturer to another don't get the same level of kit, some extras they may want, some they don't.
It's a bit like finding comfortable chairs for a community centre. Each person has an idea of what is comfortable to them, but another will find that same chair (car) is not!

It's about making the best compromise of what you MUST have for the money, what you'd like and what you can do without, if needs be.

It's good that a Sportage can be a competitor in many respects to a Toyota (Ooops!) I mean LEXUS GS.....

-------------
New 2016 shape 1.6 petrol T-GDi 7DCT White GT-Line Auto.

Date Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:46am
Says a lot about the Sportage that I don't feel I've downgraded to it from a Lexus GS - more a sideways step.👍

Her she is... https://www.flickr.com/gp/truly55/7V60rQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.flickr.com/gp/truly55/7V60rQ

Date Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Mike999 Mike999 wrote:

OMG Go get the man with the red flag back. Dead May I suggest you might be more suited to an Austin 7 sir! Wink

If every car had Auto High Beam then the dam Spaniards would have no choice but to dip their lights for oncoming traffic. They don't, and just keep theirs on high beam regardless!

As for Lane Assist. I found it very useful recently when I was down to 30kph on a 5 lane motorway in a torrential rain storm on the Costa del Sol and couldn't make out the lane markings at all, BUT the Lane Assist certainly could and kept me on the straight and narrow. Very useful safety equipment.Thumbs Up

According to the manual, none of the LK functions work at speeds below 55kph Shocked so you were very lucky.  Also the manual specifically advises to turn off the system in bad weather Disapprove

Might I suggest sir that you read and understand the manual before you rely upon how you think the systems work Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:56pm
No popcorn emoji

Posted By: Mike999
Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:57am

According to the manual, none of the LK functions work at speeds below 55kph Shocked so you were very lucky.  Also the manual specifically advises to turn off the system in bad weather Disapprove

Might I suggest sir that you read and understand the manual before you rely upon how you think the systems work Wink

Well this is one pi**ing contest I am not getting into as we all know that noting is constant between models in different parts of Europe and beyond. My manual tells me that the first service for my 1.7 diesel is 24 months but in the UK its 12 months. Things vary so you manual is probably well different to mine and I'll be honest that I have far better things to do with my time than read a tome longer and more boring than War & Peace which obviously you don't! 
You need to learn what different emojis mean and realise I was talking "tongue in cheek" - Jeez!

-------------
2016 Sportage 1.7 CRDi Drive in Infra Red

Posted By: Sipwine
Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:43am
Couldn't agree more Mike999, some of the info in the Tome does not seem to apply to Uk models, ie servicing times.

-------------
2016 Sportage KX-4 Phantom Black
2010 Sportage First Edition Silver

Date Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:30pm

Well this is one pi**ing contest I am not getting into as we all know that noting is constant between models in different parts of Europe and beyond. My manual tells me that the first service for my 1.7 diesel is 24 months but in the UK its 12 months. Things vary so you manual is probably well different to mine and I'll be honest that I have far better things to do with my time than read a tome longer and more boring than War & Peace which obviously you don't! 
You need to learn what different emojis mean and realise I was talking "tongue in cheek" - Jeez!

Sorry, I appear to have misunderstood your previous post  Embarrassed

....and I would love to own an Austin 7 Smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk