FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

picanto i litre engine on motorway?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gideon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gideon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: picanto i litre engine on motorway?
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:50pm
Hi,
I am considering getting a 1 litre Picanto. 
This summer I'll be driving long distances on motorways but after that not doing long distances. Has anyone had experience of driving this size engine Picanto on motorways? I don't drive fast going at 60/65 would be fine. All reviews say get the 1.25 for motorways but is the 1 litre adequate?
Thanks in advance,
Gideon
Sponsored Links

Kismet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kismet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:16am
Hello

It's a modern car & whilst I haven't driven a 1 litre Picanto (ours is a 1.25 auto) I'm sure it'll be fine. It won't be "hot rod" but 70mph will be no problem at all (it'll do a fair bit more) & as you're not going to use it all the time forever on the motorway, I really wouldn't worry.
The 1 litre is a 3 cylinder so it'll make a nice noise too Wink
Enjoy your Picanto.
gideon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gideon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:34pm
Hi Kismet,
Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. I had a test drive with the mk2 picanto 1, 1 litre today and it was fine at 70mph. It did make a nice noise :-)
Unfortunately there don't appear to be any 1 litre mk 3's around :-/

ItsOnlyMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsOnlyMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by gideon gideon wrote:

Hi Kismet,

Unfortunately there don't appear to be any 1 litre mk 3's around :-/

If you look on the Kia Website under used cars there are over 150 Mk3 Picanto 1 litre models for sale throughout the country starting at about £7500.
If you are prepared to travel a little I am sure you could find one to suit your needs.
2016 1.6 CRDi Cee'd 3
gideon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gideon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:43pm
Thanks Kismet,
I'll take a look :-)
Kismet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kismet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:20pm
It's not me you need to thank it's "ItsOnlyMe" if that makes sense Wink

Good luck with 1 litre, let us know how you get on Smile

Edited by Kismet - 15 May 2018 at 5:59pm
Sheepy1209 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepy1209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:44pm
We had a 2013 1.0 from new for two years as our only car - did several 300 mile days with no problems. It'll cruise on the level at 70 no problems, but you need to anticipate hills and change down before the car starts losing speed.

That's with two adults and no luggage - load the car up and it's a different matter.

We replaced it with an otherwise-identical 1.2 because it's a driving-school car, and the 1.2 is more forgiving / flexible. 

Obviously a 2013 is the previous model but I see no reason why the latest one should be any different.
grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:02pm
Isn't there a 1 litre turbo on the way?
dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:09pm
Rumours rumours. If there is it'll be a great little car

I've got that engine in my Hyundai i30 and it's a real honey!

Also the gear ratios are very nicely spaced, unlike the weird ones in my late Cee'd Sportwagon diesel!
"The Boss" has a 13-plate Picanto and I have a 17-plate 1.0 ltr Hyundai i30 Se Nav new generation with all the options(and very nice it is too.....)
Cold Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:46pm
Is it going to be direct injected or port injected version? My understanding is that both types are available in the 3 cylinder 1 litre configuration. My misgivings about a 3 cylinder turbo are carbon buildup in the intakes and inlet port and intake valves if it is direct injected. No such problems if they use the multipoint version though - and it should still move the little Picanto along very nicely. Actually the fact the 1.25 normally asiprated engine is port injected was a big selling point for when we bought our two Picantos. All those photos across the internet of the insides of low kilometre direct injection engines don't exactly have me clamouring for a direct injected engine, especially a turbo one!
JA Picanto MY2018 automatic in Pop Orange
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic