FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Performance upgrade.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Slime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance upgrade.
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:05pm
Hi all
A year ago I bought a 2011 Cee'd 1.6 CRDi Ecodynamics.
It's a really good car in just about every way except one .......................... performance.
Okay, I bought this car for reliability and economy, but 89bhp was just not enough.
As an 89bhp car I was getting almost bang on 50mpg with mainly short commutes.
The car was good, reliable, economical and comfortable, but not exciting at all.
A friend of mine knew someone in the world of performance tuning and suggested that I got my car remapped .............................. so I did!
I'd considered a tuning kit or an ECU chip but realised that a remap was the best way forward.
Well, what a difference!!
My BHP went from 89 to 137, an increase of 54%.
Torque went up from 173 lb/ft to 212 lb/ft, an increase of 23%.
This has completely transformed the whole dynamic of the car as, not only is it much quicker, but it also pulls much more strongly ......................... but here's the weird thing ........................ it's more economical!
If I want to drive it economically , the MPG figure increases by about 10%.
I now get around 55mpg as opposed to the 50mpg when it was an 89bhp car.
If I drive it hard I'd guess I'm still getting around 40+mpg.

Sorry to ramble, but hopefully one or two of you might find this of interest.
All the best,

Slime.
Sponsored Links

ramsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 4:46pm
Very interesting, do you still have the details of who carried out the remap, & also how much did they charge for doing it? Thanks.
Slime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 5:07pm
Hi ramsfan
I got it done at 'mate's rates' for a little under £200 .................... best £200 I've ever spent on a car!!
I think the name of the company is Celtic Tuning, but I may be wrong there, sorry.
I'd imagine that any reputable re-mapping/tuning company would produce the same or very similar results.
If you get it done, please let us know, as I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
What Cee'd do you have? Mine WAS an 89bhp one ............... it's now a 137bhp car!

Slime.

Edited by Slime - 07 Jun 2018 at 5:08pm
ramsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 5:26pm
Hi Slime, thanks for the quick reply, I also have a 2011 89bhp ceed vr7 crdi, but not the ecodynamics version, I think iv'e heard of Celtic tuning & will look into it, Like you I love the car & have had it from new, it's done a total of 49,000 miles so is probably still a baby! If I get the remap done I will put it on the forum, but in the meantime i'll keep an eye out for you in case you decide to burn me off the road!Big smile

Edited by ramsfan - 07 Jun 2018 at 5:27pm
gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 10:36pm
What an interesting coincidence.

I was researching this very subject earlier this week and was trying to find the plus and minus points.

From what I can gather you can get a healthy increase in power but the remap may well be tricking the MPG reading. I read a few reports that the onboard computer is way off after tuning. Brimming checks supposedly verified that the reported increase in MPG was inaccurate or overstated.

I'm also a 2011 EcoDynamics owner and have pondered the tune up option but assume that putting it up to the 115ps option, basically puts the engine back to default power.

The only thing that puts me off slightly is having 161,000 miles on the engine but to be fair it still feels and drives like a car with half the mileage.

I had the 1.4L engine with 90ps in my Hyundai i20 (just sold it tonight) and that car was way quicker off the line than the Ceed. Then again it's a much lighter and smaller car to be fair but it was pretty nippy to say the least when you put the foot down.
mcsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:29am
I had a DTUK Tuning Box in my 2008 115 BHP Ceed.
Attached to both the Fuel Rail and Boost Sensor.

It made the Car a lot better to drive and the Fuel Computer was reporting higher MPG
In reality I had lost about a few MPG when checked manually.

Around 45 Litres (10 Gallons) from full to empty. Reset the Trip at fill up and divide Miles by 10
High 40's before Box. Mid 40's after.

I guess the Box amplifies the Fuel supply, so the ECU thinks it is providing X fuel but the Box makes it supply X+ a bit. Not sure how it would work with a Remap.

I bought the Box for improved driving and was not disappointed. I knew the MPG would drop.

gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:47pm
Did that DTUK box give an indication of the increased power level achieved?

So presumably a tuning box simply over-fuels the engine giving more power and the onboard system assumes the same flow of diesel and computes a less accurate MPG figure?
mcsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 9:43am
Standard 115 BHP, 260 Nm.
With Box up to 145 BHP, 340 Nm.

There are multiple settings. I had mine set just above the middle.
Tried on the highest. Too much Wheel Spin and Smoke. Not very nice to drive normally.

That is my understanding ref the MPG on the Computer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic