FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

old Rio idling issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nick1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old Rio idling issue
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:33pm
Hi all you older Rio owners.. This applies to 1.3 and 1.5 Rios. My 1.3 has been misbehaving! After driving the reaves would stay high then slowly return to normal. A real pain in traffic.
So I decided to check my idle control valve (iac valve).
To remove you need only simple hand tools. The iac valve is on the front (as you look at it) of the throttle body. Held on by two 10mm fasteners with a Philips screw head in the middle.
Its awkward and tight.
So remove the air cleaner box..four 12mm fasteners..two bolts at the back and two nuts at front.
Then slacken the clamp above the Maf sensor/throttle body.
Remove air cleaner assembly..gives more access.
I found the right hand bolt to be accessible with a 1/4 Dr socket but I needed to use a Phillips screwdriver bit to remove the left side as even my small 1/4 socket wouldn't fit.
Remove the electrical connector.
Carefully remove the Iac without disturbing the gasket.
You will then see two holes in the iac valve.
Holding the valve upright liberally spray Carb cleaner into the holes.
Plug in the electrical connector.
Turn on the ignition key but do not start the engine!!!
Do this a few times..you will see the valve open and close. It sort of turns if that makes sense😊
When you're happy its turning/working wright simply replace as removed. Tighten the securing bolts evenly. In my case I needed to give the car a few miles to 're settle' and now she's good. For now😉
Hopefully this might help someone. You may need a new iac valve but it might be worth trying this first!😊
Sponsored Links

f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:13pm
good info. the clutch switch can also give similar symptoms.
nick1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:15pm
Hi mate😊 what's the clutch switch?! Please excuse my ignorance..my old Rio only has a mechanical pedal with cable to gear box.
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:12pm
most cars with a manual box have a switch on the clutch pedal that switches at the bite point. if this setting is incorrect you get the revs hanging between gear changes and at road ends the revs are slow to come back down. 
Paulk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 12:39pm
Very interesting as I have this problem with a Rio I bought recently. I will now clean the air control. Does anyone know if Hyundai accent parts are interchangeable with the Kia Rio? I have a 2003 Accent that slipped the timing and wrecked the engine. Thanks
phil866 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phil866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Paulk Paulk wrote:

Very interesting as I have this problem with a Rio I bought recently. I will now clean the air control. Does anyone know if Hyundai accent parts are interchangeable with the Kia Rio? I have a 2003 Accent that slipped the timing and wrecked the engine. Thanks

Both the Rio 1.3 and 1.5 2001-2005 engines are based on Mazda units and were used in various guises in several early Kia models including the Pride. I think these engines may predate Hyundai taking over Kia.
2010 Skoda Fabia HTP Elegance (previous '05 Rio le+) but my other car is a fully rebuilt 1976 Signal Red Triumph Spitfire 1500. Mmmmmm!!
nick1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:33pm
Hi. After cleaning the valve a couple of times the car runs great and has done several thousand miles since without issues.
Paulk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 10:51am
The car doesn't have a clutch switch, does the throttle position sensor give trouble? I can buy a throttle body, with sensors on ebay for small money but the sensors could be toast. I took the body off and gave it a good scrub with brake cleaner, the idle valve seems to be working so TPS?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic