FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
colmich1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmich1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil leak
    Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:57pm
Hi I own a 2002 2.5 v6 magentis I noticed it had a small oil leak but thought I would
Have a look when I got time, but when driving the other day I heard bad tapping noises
So when I got home and checked the oil there was none in it so and no oil light came on
I topped it up and I think the leak was coming from oil filter put a new one on but
The engine still sounds a little tappety etc is my engine knackered now
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Bones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:26am
Short answer: yes...
The extent to which it is knackered depend upon how long and how hard it ran for in an oil starved state. That-the extent-may be determined by a full stripdown and inspection. Worth it? Probably not.

Bones
colmich1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmich1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:43am
Thanks for the reply
jimcale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimcale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm
So what have you done in the end? There's so few of these about,i have a 2003 2.5 and have never seen another in my nearly three years of ownership.jimcale
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:25pm
how much oil did you have to put in to be able to read it on the dip stick, on most engines the dip stick only measures the top two litres, so if it held 5 litres and it wanted two litres to bring it up to the mark you still have three litres in the sump. not enough really but more than enough to prevent damage. the tapping noise will be the HLAs rattling most likely. if it were anything else the oil light would come on. HLAs usually rattle a bit on older engines, on mazda cars replacing the oil pump would cure it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic