FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Noisy timing chain, possibly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ken S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy timing chain, possibly?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:02pm
Hi from France,
Is there a specific mileage for changing my timing chain, I have noticed, just lately, that when I accelerate as the engine reaches top revs there is a rattle coming from the engine. Is replacement a DIY., or garage job?
Cheers for now.
Ken S
Sponsored Links

Scotty1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:46am
No specific mileage, but if its rattling dont drive it. Get it fixed now. If you are handy with a spanner, yes yiu could do it.
But there are 3 chains and other things that need to be done. Big job YES.
Whats the miles on your Sorento?
Steve
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 7:54am
is is usually the oil pump chain that rattles according to my local kia dealer. the tensioner fails, but if you are in there look at them all. the front of the engine is to come off.
Ken S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:38am
Thanks very much for the info the 'mileage' is 130,000 kilometres +/- 78,000 miles. The next question is the oil pump chain a separate entity, from what you say f0ster it is all accessible once the strip has been completed.
Cheers again, Ken S
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:31am
the sump is to come off if you want to access the oil pump, it comes off easily in situ.
Scotty1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
While your at it check the oil pickup screen. Your chain may be going because of reduced oil supply

Steve
Ken S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm
Hi f0ster,
I'm still having great difficulty sourcing an oil pump chain, the various sites keep going back to timing chain kits, baffled in France.
Cheers Ken S.
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:17pm
there is definitely a separate oil pump chain, if it is not in the kit then it will be kia only.
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:19pm
Ken S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:31am
Hi f0ster,
I have spent the last 3 1/2 hrs. searching for a separate oil pump chain with no luck. I have ordered the timing chain kit which consists of 3 separate chains and based on the response from every other site I've been on I can only assume that the oil pump is driven by one of these. This is the problem with the lack of the Haynes Manual. If you, with your experience, can suggest somewhere for me to search I'll give it a try.
Cheers,
Ken (with a headache)S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic