FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Niro Towbar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niro Towbar
    Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:00pm
Hi, just joined this forum after purchasing (16th Dec) an ex demo Niro 2 (reg Aug 2016) only to discover that it may not be able to take a towbar having mentioned twice to sales prior to purchase that we would be fitting one.

They garage is going to contact Kia technical but due to holidays this will take a wee while.
In the mean time can anyone here throw some light on the matter?, it seems in Europe you can get a tow kit and that 4th quarter delivery to UK will allow Niro to tow.

This is my third Kia from the same Kia garage previous others were Ceed SW's all with fitted towbars so we can transport two electric bicycles total weight 44kg.

Ending on a positive note we are very pleased with the Niro otherwise.

Sponsored Links

Recycleman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recycleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 3:38pm
Check this out clearly state uk spec has no towing capability https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/parts-accessories/ then click on niro
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 3:55pm
Although some towbar makers are advertising detachable ones
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recycleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 4:26pm
Also Belgium Kia is selling a towbar in accessories, I note that the above site states UK spec cars have no towing capacity (what ever that means) as my logbook state towing capacity of 1300kg.
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:44pm
Thanks for your reply, Recycleman the towing capacity you mention (1300kg) is that for a Niro and if so when was it registered or imported?.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recycleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 6:20pm
Sorry picked up wrong logbook, Niro 2, reg in December 16 and both the braked and unbraked permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer is blank suggesting that the uk might not have approved the Niro for towing and would mean anyone towing with it would be illegal.
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:37pm
Spoke again with my local Kia garage, seems the blank part of all or most logbook towing sections are blank. The  logbook of the 2013 Kia Ceed I part exchanged was also blank in the towing section but had a factory fitted towbar & wiring.

The problem seems to be not the towbar fitting but the electrical wiring kit required, Kia technical will contact the garage after holiday with an update.

Will keep you informed.
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:19am
My Venga logbook towing section is blank - but the KIA Venga brochure specification gives towing weights.
Niro 2 With ADAP
Kiora View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:39am
Spoke to Kia UK this morning, asked about towing options for UK spec Niro's, response was that they are none the wiser and I should contact my local dealer who have been for some time aware of my question.

Anyway, my local Kai sales manager is today in  Liverpool at some Kia meeting and will be asking Kia personel why Uk Niro's cant tow whilst in the rest of Europe they can.

Keep you posted.
Jetpack Toby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetpack Toby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:57pm
I hope they change their mind. I have a Niro on order and could do with a towbar. I can get by without but it would be useful. I have had a quote for an after market tow bar to be fitted for around £400 with electric and tow bars are on eBay from Germany at around £250 but having a look on the instructions it says you have to take the back bumper off. And use a jigsaw. I don't mind a bit of diy but on something I'll have owned for a month or so I'm not quite sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic