FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Niro 2 Alloy Wheel Dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niro 2 Alloy Wheel Dimensions
    Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm
I am considering changing my Niro 2 wheels and replace them with conventional alloys, rather than the ones with wheel covers.

I took one of the wheels off the car to check the hub dia and offset before searching for suitable wheels. I was surprised to find that the wheel trims are held captive by the wheel nuts. The wheel nuts have a tapered face which compresses against a corresponding taper in the holes in the wheel. There is a collar before the taper which retains the wheel cover. There is sufficient clearance between the wheel face and the collar when the nuts are fully tightened to retain the wheel cover without putting any load on it.

Here are the Niro 2 wheel dimensions

Rim Dia 16"
Rim width 6.5"
Studs : 5 on a 114.3 mm pitch circle dia
Hub dia : 67.1 mm
Offset 45 mm
Nuts : M12 x 1.5 pitch

Edited by AlanHo - 11 Aug 2017 at 11:30am
Niro 2 With ADAP
Sponsored Links

niroal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niroal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
As they around £100 each it is a good security measure!!!
h2onorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2onorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:15pm
Hi AlanHo. I agree the wheels are not particularly pretty but similar wheels, ie flat and plan looking, are starting to appear on other variants of electric cars. Just curious but what are you hoping to achieve by this option?
h2onorth
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:36pm
I don't particularly like the present design and cannot understand why KIA would put covers on an alloy wheel. Having said that - you are never going to lose a cover because they are retained by the wheel nuts - so hats off to KIA for that feature.

If I replace them - and it remains an "if" - it will be with 16" Dezent TC Dark 16" rims

I am not a fan of the Michelin tyres and would like to replace them with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres which are quieter in terms of cabin noise and have better wet grip.

A growing number of Niro 2 owners want a spare wheel and I don't think I would find it too difficult to sell 3 of the existing wheels and tyres at a reasonable price - keeping one back as a spare for my car.
Niro 2 With ADAP
h2onorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2onorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:45pm
Hi AlanHo. Good points as usual from you
h2onorth
IanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by AlanHo AlanHo wrote:

I was surprised to find that the wheel trims are held captive by the wheel nuts.

That's a common feature on Kias, my old Venga 1 with steel wheels had the plastic trims retained by the nuts.
2017 Rio 2 1.4
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:41pm
I parked alongside a Hyundai Ioniq today and noticed that it had plastic wheel covers too.
Niro 2 With ADAP
Darryl_uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darryl_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:07am
Plastic wheel covers are fitted to lots of fuel efficient cars these days. They are supposed to reduce the overall aerodynamic drag by channelling the airflow over the wheel instead of through it therefore increasing mpg (very slightly). They've been standard on the Toyota Prius for at least 15 years now.
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:52pm
My next door neighbour has a Prius and that has normal alloy wheels. Perhaps wheel covers are only on some model variants.
Niro 2 With ADAP
Darryl_uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darryl_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:28pm
On the latest Prius (gen 4) I think if you opt for the 17" wheels instead of the 15" then they don't have full plastic covers. I think the 15" still have them. I had the top spec (spirit) gen 2 and gen 3 Prius and those both had plastic covers. A lot of people used to take them off though as they preferred the bare alloy look.

Not entirely certain about the latest gen 4 as I decided to go for a Niro instead this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic