FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

New car prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New car prices
    Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:40pm
Some of us will remember the protests, in the early 90s, about exorbitant prices of new cars, and the government ordering price cuts. Well, it’s about time for them to do it again. Been looking to replace the Subaru, as it is now designated a company car, and accountant says it is tax efficient to change it. Trouble is, I can’t afford the prices being asked, even with trade discounts and vat grab back, as they are so expensive. Even an equivalent Subaru is now £6k more than 3 years ago. I know there are lots of new toys on cars, but....! Looks like another one is going to buy a Duster😱
Fleet: Kia Venga 3 1.6 auto, Subaru XV 2.0 SE Premium Lineartronic, Hyundai i40 Estate.
Sponsored Links

Ace Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by rizmo rizmo wrote:

Some of us will remember the protests, in the early 90s, about exorbitant prices of new cars, and the government ordering price cuts.
When I was in New Zealand recently I hired a Toyota Corolla. List price for 136hp and utterly superb CVT gearbox (a different thing to eCVT) -  NZ$29K  ~ £15K for the basic model.

Nearest equivalent in the UK - £21K. NZ also has a different idea of "basic" to this country: aforesaid auto, reversing camerasteel wheels and manual climate. Over here one is forced into paying for the pointless bling before it is possible to move up from an entry engine and start looking at useful kit. (I wonder how much it costs to put a car in a container and ship it over.)
Lancelot1937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancelot1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:09pm
(I wonder how much it costs to put a car in a container and ship it over.)

About £750 but would it conform the E.U spec?
Venga 1.6 petrol Auto Type 3. March 2017
Ace Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Lancelot1937 Lancelot1937 wrote:

NZ doesn't require those stupid fairy lights but when purchased abroad it wouldn't be a new car. The only problem might be that NZ has gone properly metric, whereas UK is still living in the past and I believe there are rules concerning the speedo. Even though I can do instant conversion in my head - I sometimes drive a vehicle with kph shown digitally with the odometer and I tend to look at that more than the dial. 

aircraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aircraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:04am
A car that retails at £30,000, costs approximately £4000 to make at a factory
bowfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:24am

I work in shipping, have done for 35 years.
You're way out with your costs....way out...Wink
And if you're simply buying a car from outside the EU, there are duty and VAT to be paid.
The only way you can avoid taxes is if you're moving here and owned/used the car abroad for a certain time period.
Lancelot1937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancelot1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:52am
The question was "How much to ship a car?"  Nothing to do with other costs such as Duty, V.A.T etc.  I got quotes from 2 shipping companies on line.

Venga 1.6 petrol Auto Type 3. March 2017
bowfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm

The question was "How much to ship a car?"  Nothing to do with other costs such as Duty, V.A.T etc.  I got quotes from 2 shipping companies on line.

Undoubtedly misleading quotes.
It'll be the bare bones shipping cost, purely covering the seafreight element.
Won't take account lots of other costs that would be liable before you actually see the container.
We get it all time "such and such is cheaper than you"
They're not, once you actually compare like for like.
Bear in mind duty and VAT is also liable on the shipping costs too, not just the value of the car.

Edited by bowfer - 16 Apr 2018 at 12:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic