FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Need some assistance please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ratboiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratboiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some assistance please
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:40am
I was on a long run yesterday and to cut a long story short the battery light came up, as the car has done 254k miles I suspected the alternator which was confirmed baby the AA.
I can now confirm that with a good battery and all the electrics that can be turned off the car will cover at least 100 miles or about an hour and a half running.
The battery still had enough power to start the car by the time I got home so suspect it could have lasted a lot longer.

My question is has anybody on here changed an alternator on a first generation ceed, can you give me any tips please, I have a new one to be delivered tomorrow.
Looking at the alternator it looks like I will need baby arms to get at it, the AA guy seemed to think it could all be done from the top?

Thanks in advance and I will picture it and put it on the site.
Sponsored Links

Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:05pm
Might it be worth purchasing a workshop manual from Ebay if you are going to be doing all of your own mechanical work at home from now on?
 I think once you've bought it you can download it to your computer there and then. It'd be £10 well spent in my opinion.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
ratboiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratboiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:44pm
Thanks yes I have already done that, just in such a rush at the moment I haven't had time to look it up, my brother did print a lot of it.
I think it can all be done from the top but not sure.
ratboiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratboiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:16pm
OK just checked the manual and dare I say this but it seems straight forward, let see if the postman brings an identical unit to the one I have in the car tomorrow. I have to say the the pulley belt seems to have a complicated run.
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:25pm
Fingers crossed. Make sure you take a photo of the route the belt takes before you remove anything! Are you replacing the belt too?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Gary0679 Gary0679 wrote:

Fingers crossed. Make sure you take a photo of the route the belt takes before you remove anything! Are you replacing the belt too?

Good points Gary.  For the cost of a belt it is well worth replacing it while you are in there.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
mcsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 6:53pm
A Russian Video.

You can get Youtube to Auto-Translate the Russian Speech to English Subtitles 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic