FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Makers with AEB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makers with AEB
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm
Interesting read

I'm surprised that Kia still doesn't offer this in its best selling model Sportage! *

* = only offered in KX4/5 diesels and not in any petrol version yet
2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol
Sponsored Links

dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:28pm
Interesting that Hyundai don't figure in the list. I was given to believe that all cars from the i30 upwards had it. It's certainly on all models of i30 and Ionic, from the base model upwards.
"The Boss" has a 13-plate Picanto and I have a 17-plate 1.0 ltr Hyundai i30 Se Nav new generation with all the options(and very nice it is too.....)
iooi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iooi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:17pm
I  have it on my Stonic. I have yet to have it even chime at me, let alone brake for me..... And that is getting to 1 car length from the car in front while they were slowing down..... I simply bottle out and brake myself.
Which when you view the Kia Fast Facts on U-Tube it is far further away when it starts.
& 16 Picanto @ 48.7 mpg
dilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:08pm
Kicked in on my Rio 1.0 T-GDI for the second time last weekend. First time was a misread on it’s behalf (there have been a few reported on the forum) This occasion was definitely my fault approaching an island in a 50mph limit, took my eye off the road for a split second and the warning beeps and anti lock kicked in due to the cars in front coming to a grinding halt. There was enough space between myself and the cars that were stationary in front of me, for me to be able to stop on my own but it’s the fact that it detects the difference in speed that makes it decide whether to activate or not. I STRONGLY advise NOT to attempt to make it work yourself, it would be bordering on suicidal. Just trust that if you have it fitted it will work when the parameters are met and that will normally be a mis judgement on the drivers part as in this case
If you are so much as breathing on the brake pedal it will not activate
Mine is set at early by the way.

Edited by dilus - 13 Mar 2018 at 8:35pm
a dog is for life, so DON'T marry one !
Indalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by dilus dilus wrote:

I STRONGLY advise NOT to attempt to make it work yourself, it would be bordering on suicidal. Just trust that if you have it fitted it will work when the parameters are met and that will normally be a mis judgement on the drivers part as in this case

I concur entirely with 'dilus' and gave up trying to make it work after the first few months of ownership - every time I tried to force the system to work, I ended up bottling it at the very last moment.....and probably put the wind up the guy in front as I performed an emergency stop much closer to his back end than either of us would have liked.

Like 'dilus', I have now had several occasions when the system has kicked in, including one with a pedestrian being stupid and another with a cyclist, swerving to miss a kid running from the pavement on to the road.  It is very reassuring when the car steps in before you have had time to react but equally reassuring is the pre-charging of the brakes  when you step on the pedal just before the car does it for you.  It's as if the brakes have been supercharged!

It does take a while to become accustomed to all the newfangled safety kit on modern cars but I welcome it and would not like to be without it now that I have become au fait with it.
Indalo

Optima Sportswagon GT-Line S
mobi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:25pm
That link is not comprehensive. Suzuki now offers it but was not listed.

I am now convinced that I want it in my next car.
2014 Kia Ceed 3 DCT Auto 1.6 petrol
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:06am
With the EU politicians pushing for compulsory fitted AEB systems in new cars I'm sure the manufacturers will continue to roll out new models with this as standard - eg Stonic & new i30. As such the new Ceed is bound to have it across the range also.

I have it in my Sportage and on 3 occasions have had messages on the dashboard informing me the system is compromised. Two related to the radar box under the front number plate and the last told me the screen camera vision was compromised............it sure was as I had not cleared the ice from the screen in that area.

So, in conclusion, don't worry that your AEB system is not working as you will be informed if there is an issue. It doesn't stop you from driving, but you are reminded not to rely on the system (and who would do so when there is a perfectly good brake pedal!!!).
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 40k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic