FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Likely period of Ownership for Niro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
h2onorth View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2onorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Likely period of Ownership for Niro
    Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:10pm
With the likely rush of Hybrid/ Electric cars over the next 2 years, including a plug in Niro is it better to buy your car outright so the date of exchange is completely within our control. With PCP mainly 3 years for Niro, changing the car before is expensive and outright purchase possibly more expensive if kept for longer.
Does anyone have a view on how quickly we think the current Niro will be outdated. With government tax changes likely to be ever more costly for car purchase, possibly by way of taxes on even zero emission vehicles, enabling them ( gov) to recover lost fuel duty by a 5 year levy on the purchase price.
Do the forum have a view on their possible period of ownership. Its hard at this stage to know what proportion of owners are retired or approaching that date.
Sponsored Links

Filmco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filmco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:20pm
6 months to retirement and plan to keep it as long as possible. 10 years or more I hope.
jim1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:40pm
I always plan to change every 3 years when pcp is up, however in practice I have changed every 1 to 2 years. Rarely is it as costly as you might imagine, negotiation not being in a rush to change takes care of that
Niro 2 with ADAP in Pearl White (metallic)

Picanto 2 5 door in white.

Previous,
Niro 2 with ADAP in pearl white.

Sportage2 1.6GDI 2014, Dark Gun Metal
sportage 1,black,2012.
Picanto 1air white
AlanHo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanHo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:03pm
I always buy outright and up to now have changed every 2 years more on a whim than a necessity.
However - I am 80 in 2 months time

The Niro, assuming it lives up to expectations and is reliable, will be my last car. It's a question of which lasts the longest - me or the car.
Niro 2 With ADAP
Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:18am
I am self employed and currently cover 20k miles plus each year....hence my current diesel Sportage. This year we plan to downscale and relocate the business back to my home town, thus my mileage will reduce to about 8k a year. At the end of my current pcp (April 2018) I hope to have some equity in the car because it will be well below contract mileage I'm paying for. I intend to look at a nearly new or used Niro which I would keep for the reset 7 years of warranty.

Diesel is definitely on the decline (political/tax reasons) so a petrol hybrid is the way to go for me....I don't like the 'range anxiety' of batteries only and the replacement cost as a long term user. The poor take up of the Soul EV & articles I've read on the massive depreciation on a Nissan Leaf are a major negative factor of EV's for me too, so I like the idea of a petrol hybrid.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 20k miles covered ave 47mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
benmacc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benmacc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:49pm
No longer than 3 years. Hybrid is my first step towards an all electric. I'm expecting Kia to have an EV Niro and an EV something new to choose from during 2017 or 2018. I'm 35 so sadly not near retirement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic