FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Leave your DVLA Driver's Licence at home!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:30am
The DVLA also started looking at Digital Driving Licences for your Smartphone, The trial date was supposed to be around April 2018.

There is nothing on the DVLA's Digital Services Blog yet about this..

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/

Some info about this below........

The UK's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is working on a smartphone version of its driving licence.

Chief executive Oliver Morley tweeted a photo showing a "prototype" using Apple's Wallet app on an iPhone.

He says it will be an "add-on" to the plastic card rather than a replacement.

Wallet already stores boarding passes and credit, debit, gift and discount cards. Payment information is encrypted end-to-end and authorised with the user's fingerprint or passcode.

CCS Insight analyst Ben Wood said: "Security has taken a significant step forward to support digital payments on phones, so the framework is in place for other secure applications, such as a digital driving licence.

"There are not many people in the UK that do not carry a smartphone with them every day, so it is a logical next step."

Chris Green, technology analyst at the business consultancy Lewis, said digital wallets were "a massively underrated and under-exploited resource".

"People are getting more and more used to the technology because of e-ticketing," he said.

"People are far more comfortable with the concept of keeping key information on their smartphone."

I already keep a copy of my Licence on my Smart phone anyway..

Regards

Phil

2018 3.3 V6 TwinTurbo GT-S Stinger Ceramic Grey
2016 Sportage GT-Line 1.6 T-GDI DCT AWD Dark Gun Metal Metallic   
2013 Kia Pro-Cee'd GT TECH Black (Written Off)
2011 Kia Soul Tempest
Sponsored Links

Lancpudn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancpudn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:30pm
I wonder if mine are out of date! LOL Big smile I came across my old car licence & my 'passport' style Class 1 HGV licence from the 1970's in my drawer, along with the petrol ration book from 1973.

Pepys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Signman Signman wrote:

The paper licence is not void. My colleague triumphantly has his and had to produce recently.

The Police did not care to handle the grubby paper and he was told he needed to apply for a new licence. He said as his paper licence was valid and, as he refused to pay for a new licence with photo ID on because he still lived at the address shown etc etc, on what grounds in law could they refuse the licence he had? They had no grounds and he retains his paper licence. 

Yes.  Paper Licences are still valid, and some of them will still be around until the last holder of such licences
a) Moves to  a new address. 
or
b) Reaches the age of 70.
or
c) Gets points on their licence, or loses it altogether for some offence.

As time goes by there are more & more people around who have never seen one, & who jump to the conclusion that "That's not a real licence!"

Incidentally, I don't think a paper licence is much use as a means of identity theft.  
On those occasions that I've tried to use mine as a means of identification, it hasn't ever been accepted.
(Nor should it, but lots of places list "Driving Licence" as an acceptable form of identification - but obviously expect the photo version)
KIA Sportage 2 2016 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIA Sportage 2 2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Signman Signman wrote:

The paper licence is not void. My colleague triumphantly has his and had to produce recently.

The Police did not care to handle the grubby paper and he was told he needed to apply for a new licence. He said as his paper licence was valid and, as he refused to pay for a new licence with photo ID on because he still lived at the address shown etc etc, on what grounds in law could they refuse the licence he had? They had no grounds and he retains his paper licence. 

According to DVLA/DSVA it is his right to keep hold of his paper licence

"Don’t destroy your paper driving licence

The changes that come into effect on 8 June 2015 are for existing photocard driving licence holders in England, Scotland and Wales only (Northern Ireland drivers are unaffected). Providing none of the details on a driver’s paper licence have changed (like their name or address), they can continue to use it until it expires. This is usually the day before their 70th birthday or 45thbirthday for vocational entitlement."

KIA Sportage 2 1.7 CRDi ISG 4th Generation in Arctic White

Kind Regards
RAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic