FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

KIA Stinger Spare Wheel in the UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Back again View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Back again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by msimega msimega wrote:

I much prefer having a spare and not using the repair kit - that is just me but I bet I am not alone in this respect.

I totally agree, would not risk being without a spare. For our last 2 cars I have simply ordered a full size tyre on a steel rim from Mytyres. Cheaper than a factory space saver and far more useful. Been lucky that both cars have had space under the boot floor.

Some "wise" people have suggested you don't need a spare since the RAC will sort it for you even if the tyre is too badly damaged for the glue to work. Well how does that work on a dark evening, pouring with rain and no spare in the car. They cannot magic one up for you from thin air. At least if there is one in the boot they can change it in minutes (if you cannot physically do it yourself - the wife couldn't) and you would be on your way.

For the record only had three punctures in the past 13 years (I think), 2 were sorted by fitting the spare (after a TPMS warning) and the 3rd was flat on the drive.
Sponsored Links

Toxic VR7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic VR7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:09am
When all of you were looking at your potential purchase through your rose coloured glasses,did none of you notice that there's no spare wheel in the boot? You are spending 40+K on a car and you didn`t look over the demonstrator properly or even ask the question? No good complaining now. When we bought our Rio`s in 2014 we made sure a spare wheel was included in the purchase or we`d go elsewhere.
Elvira was a 3Door VR7 1.25 Petrol in Midnight Black Metallic.Gone to a new home now.Juan is her car,it`s a 1.1D Air in Midnight Black Metallic.
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Toxic VR7 Toxic VR7 wrote:

When all of you were looking at your potential purchase through your rose coloured glasses,did none of you notice that there's no spare wheel in the boot? You are spending 40+K on a car and you didn`t look over the demonstrator properly or even ask the question? No good complaining now. When we bought our Rio`s in 2014 we made sure a spare wheel was included in the purchase or we`d go elsewhere.

So when you bought your car 4 years ago the spare wheel was included, Well whoopee good for you, a lot of cars had spare wheels then, it's only in the last few years that they don't include them in some (Not All) vehicles for different reasons.

For your information I was in contact with KIA UK and my dealer BEFORE I signed on the dotted line as other countries have the spare as STANDARD. The spare was not listed for the UK Stinger, but they have now added it to the UK as an Option. 

Although I still think it should have a spare as STANDARD like in other countries (Why wouldn't you complain about that), now it is an option all well and good.

If they hadn't brought the spare out for the Stinger, I would have sourced one from a third party, I wouldn't like you say, not bought the car due to not having a spare wheel.

I take it you have never complained about anything then, your life must be perfect. If I was you I would take off your Rose coloured Glasses before you fall off your High Horse....
2018 3.3 V6 TwinTurbo GT-S Stinger Ceramic Grey
2016 Sportage GT-Line 1.6 T-GDI DCT AWD Dark Gun Metal Metallic   
2013 Kia Pro-Cee'd GT TECH Black (Written Off)
2011 Kia Soul Tempest
Toxic VR7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic VR7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:43pm
Spare wheel was not included on the Rio`s then (and still is not as far as I am aware) but just made it clear to the dealers that I wanted one included in the price of the car. I just know what I want from a dealer when I buy a car and make sure I get it or buy elsewhere,simples really.
Elvira was a 3Door VR7 1.25 Petrol in Midnight Black Metallic.Gone to a new home now.Juan is her car,it`s a 1.1D Air in Midnight Black Metallic.
dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:44pm
£140 to supply a spare plus tools for a £40K motor seems very reasonable to me (cheaper than the same for my wife's Picanto 5 years ago). I agree that it should have been provided as standard but is it worth you guys getting in a lather about it?

Purely as a matter of interest, there was no spare wheel in the new Octavia I bought in 2010 until the dealer swapped the spare plus tools from my trade-in Octavia with the pot of gunk in the new one.
"The Boss" has a 13-plate Picanto and I have a 17-plate 1.0 ltr Hyundai i30 Se Nav new generation with all the options(and very nice it is too.....)
Back again View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Back again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by msimega msimega wrote:

So when you bought your car 4 years ago the spare wheel was included, Well whoopee good for you, a lot of cars had spare wheels then, it's only in the last few years that they don't include them in some (Not All) vehicles for different reasons.

First car I bought without a spare wheel was back in 2005, had another 3 since. Its never been an issue for me, on each occasion I have simply acquired a suitable wheel/tyre for far less than the factory option. Will be doing the same again when the wifes new car arrives.

Originally posted by dave1978 dave1978 wrote:

£140 to supply a spare plus tools for a £40K motor seems very reasonable to me 

If you read the Kia post carefully £140 is only for the wheel and took kit. the tyre is extra (skinny tyres are not cheap) and VAT is on top of that. I would think its going to be nearer £300 by the time its in the car with a bolt, packing, wheel, tyre and tool kit.
Uvox2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uvox2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:25pm
Play nice everyone!

Paul
iooi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iooi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Uvox2 Uvox2 wrote:

Play nice everyone!

Paul

This is a emotive subject.

I did wonder if it was a legal issue in certain countries to have to carry a spare. But google does not throw anything up.... Only a lot of arguments on the matter around many car forums.

Manufacture side.
100K units @ £100 a throw for a spare against 100K units @ £10 for a can of spray = Big profit Wink Add in then being able to sell the product they have saved £90 per unit on for £200+ Star

Marketing wet dream Big smile
& 16 Picanto @ 48.7 mpg
msimega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msimega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Kia Customer Service Kia Customer Service wrote:

Hi Phil

Sorry for the delay in confirming availability – we can now give you the part numbers:

J5H40AK902 Temporary Spare Wheel    £100.42

J5F40AK910  Spare Wheel Kit (Tools Only)       £40.92

Please call your dealer and speak to their parts team if you’d like them to place an immediate order. Prices are ex VAT and fitting and will also require a 135/80 R18 104M tyre.

Regarding other accessories, we have a catalogue of 23 items online. Could you try an alternative browser or a desktop computer if you’ve been using a tablet / smartphone? Navigation clearly needs to be improved across all devices and our web team are currently working hard to improve many areas of the website.

Kia Customer Service

Hi KCS,

Just been down to my Dealer to drop off my retention paperwork etc for my Stinger which I should hopefully pick up by end of next week, Popped into the parts department with the part numbers and the Spare wheel is not yet on the system.

As soon as the complete kit is on there I will order it.

A couple more questions if you don't mind :

1. Is the new boot cover for the spare included or is it an extra or is it not reqd, going by the description it looks like rim, tool kit and tyre only

2. Not knowing a great deal about Space savers = I take it the one quoted 135/80 R18 104M is OK for the GT S with the 19" wheels and Brembo Brakes.

Kind Regards

Phil (msimega)
2018 3.3 V6 TwinTurbo GT-S Stinger Ceramic Grey
2016 Sportage GT-Line 1.6 T-GDI DCT AWD Dark Gun Metal Metallic   
2013 Kia Pro-Cee'd GT TECH Black (Written Off)
2011 Kia Soul Tempest
Kia Customer Service View Drop Down

Official Kia Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kia Customer Service Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:39am

Hi Phil

We understand the boot cover is not required and that 135/80 R18 104M is suitable for the GT S but there may be a need to disable the LSD if using on the rear. Please speak to your dealer about the limitations of any tyre they provide.

Kia Customer Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic