New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kia Sportage 1.6T-GDI DCT Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Kia Sportage 1.6T-GDI DCT Opinions

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dionisi View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Bulgaria
Status: Offline
Points: 3
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kia Sportage 1.6T-GDI DCT Opinions
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:26pm
Hello,

I'm from Bulgaria and planning to buy a new Kia Sportage 1.6 T-GDi DCT 4x4. Here we have 3 trim levels and the top one is GT-Line. This is the one I liked much.

I made a test drive of the car and find some strange things:
1) When you close a left or right rear door (all other doors are closed) something very strange knocks. It sounds like a metall ball in a can. If the trunk is open this sound is missing. Dealer told me this is normal because of air valve? Is your cars behave the same way. I tested this on two different cars.
2) GT-Line can be ordered only with 19" Alloy Wheels, but I think that the ride will be too firm with them. I tested 2nd trim level with 17" Wheels
3) When you rev-up the engine it becomes a bit noise. Unfortunately I couldn't test it how it sounds on a motorway with speed 90-100 MPH (140-160 km/h). Is it noise at this speed when cruising?
4) There were a lot of problems with DCT auto, but as far as I understand all such issues are resolved by software updates were they?
5) How is the build quality of the interior after period of time? Does it start to creak or similar?

Another strange issue, here you can't order the car with Start/Stop Idle system and AEB (Assisted Emergency Brake). I don't know why Smile

Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Turnup View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Location: Berkshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1525
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

Hello,

I'm from Bulgaria and planning to buy a new Kia Sportage 1.6 T-GDi DCT 4x4. Here we have 3 trim levels and the top one is GT-Line. This is the one I liked much.

I made a test drive of the car and find some strange things:
1) When you close a left or right rear door (all other doors are closed) something very strange knocks. It sounds like a metall ball in a can. If the trunk is open this sound is missing. Dealer told me this is normal because of air valve? Is your cars behave the same way. I tested this on two different cars.
 
Mine does not do this, but it sounds possible.
 
 
Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

2) GT-Line can be ordered only with 19" Alloy Wheels, but I think that the ride will be too firm with them. I tested 2nd trim level with 17" Wheels
 
17" wheels with higher profile tyres will give a softer ride.   I don't find any problem on my 19" but you could always buy a set and fit yourself (or even fit winter tyres as well).
 
Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

3) When you rev-up the engine it becomes a bit noise. Unfortunately I couldn't test it how it sounds on a motorway with speed 90-100 MPH (140-160 km/h). Is it noise at this speed when cruising?
 
Mine is stunningly quiet except when putting pedal to metal in sport mode Smile
 
Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

4) There were a lot of problems with DCT auto, but as far as I understand all such issues are resolved by software updates were they?
 
There appear to be no particular problems with the Kia DCT box.  Be advised that it does have it's own character and it is necessary for the driver to adapt to it, or at least understand it.  Lots of threads on here about it so have a read.
 
 
Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

5) How is the build quality of the interior after period of time? Does it start to creak or similar?
 
Superb - no creaks or rattles provided the rear seatbelts are properly stowed.

Originally posted by dionisi dionisi wrote:

Another strange issue, here you can't order the car with Start/Stop Idle system and AEB (Assisted Emergency Brake). I don't know why Smile

 
Not available here either.  ISG would seem to be largely decorative anyway.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
Back to Top
KevinBattle View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 1129
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinBattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:02pm
Your car will be similar but not identical to UK specifications )and not just where the steering wheel is!)
The main point is that you are happy with whatever car you buy.

From your comments, it doesn't seem as if you are happy with the Sportage, what other cars are you considering?
New 2016 shape 1.6 petrol T-GDi 7DCT White GT-Line Auto.
Back to Top
dionisi View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Bulgaria
Status: Offline
Points: 3
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:10am
Every car has its advantages/disadvantages, there is no such thing as perfect car according to me :) 

I did a test drive on Seat Leon Xperience, Skoda Octavia, Mazda CX3, and Seat Ateca.
I  liked Seat, but it is a tourer and I don't like the design, but it is more quiet and a bit faster.
Skoda Octavia design is quite old fashioned. If you look the car it is almost the same as the one from 2010 :) I don't like the interior as well.
Mazda CX3 is too small for me and the suspension is too stiff. You feel every little bump on the road.
Seat Ateca is good, but I have to wait 9 (NINE) months for delivery, that is unacceptable for me.

From other side in Sportage I liked the suspension (with 17" Wheels), the build quality, room space, trunk size and some other things. What I didn't liked asked as a questions.

I need a medium size car/suv with higher ground clearence, because of my garage. Otherwise I would go go for Insignia or Passat and similar family car sedan.

Why do you think I'm unhappy with Sportage :) I liked it, but before spent 30k Euros I would ask for owners opinions.


Edited by dionisi - 13 Feb 2018 at 8:13am
Back to Top
KevinBattle View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 1129
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinBattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
Thanks for response.
No rattling noises such as you describe with mine, perhaps something loose in the boot or wheel recess, such as the locking wheel nut case?
As for dealer explaining it's air valves - sounds rubbish to me!

We had the old Sportage and can't say the 19 in wheels make a difference to the ride comfort compared to the previous model we had.
Certainly happy running all day on long European trips down to Spain at legal limits and not noisy at cruising speed - in our opinion.

With all your points either they are not an issue with us, build quality is fine, no creaks etc at 2 years old.

We're happy with ours, but you have to make the decision for the car that best suits you.
New 2016 shape 1.6 petrol T-GDi 7DCT White GT-Line Auto.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.