FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Kia Sorento KX3 Sunroof Exploding / Shattering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MrGreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kia Sorento KX3 Sunroof Exploding / Shattering
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 2:35pm
Hello Everyone,

I posted this on another thread belonging to an owner of a Sportage which had a very similar experience as myself. I thought it may be useful to post it in the Sorento Forum incase other Sorento owners have had similar experiences also. 

" Model: Late 2010 Kia Sorento KX3 brought from new.

Hi,

I'm glad I came across your post Marky as Kia were telling me that exploding/shattering sunroofs are unheard of making it out as if i'm the only one! 

It happened yesterday as I was driving along. It shocked me to the core but luckily I managed to stop the car and regain myself. I was still shaking hours later and i'm not one that gets scared easily, but I was totally traumatised. Luckily I did not have my kids and wife with me which I would have if it happened a few days later as I was planning on a trip to the coast. That trip is now cancelled :(

I went down the insurance route immediately to try and get it replaced. Insurance referred me to National Windscreens to carry out the repair costing me £75 in excess. They have been trying to source the part all day yesterday with no success and finally advised me that there are none left in the entire UK. They would have to order the part in but they can't order it until they have a ETA as it could be weeks to obtain. I was so angry. How can Kia not have this part in the whole of the country!!! So I rang my local Kia garage and they too confirmed the same info. I then rang KIA Customer Service and nothing they can do and blah blah blah its not their problem, it was probably a stone etc etc denying all liability. 

The main frustration of it all is I can't get the glass replaced and it could take at least 2 weeks. I am also not happy with the way KIA CS have handled this. I brought the top of the range Sorento KX3 spending a huge amount. To be treated this way without even an ounce of help to try and obtain the glass part quicker is what makes me think I will not buy another KIA again. They did not even try! Good Customer Service goes a long way and will be remembered. They were too quick to wipe their hands clean from this rather than look into it and see maybe if  there is a problem with their sunroofs. 

Now I am left in limbo, not knowing when my sunroof will be fixed and spoiling my easter with my family.

Not a happy Kia Customer

oh and another point... If there is no stock in the entire of the UK, it makes me think WHY? Maybe because more than one person is experiencing the same problem? A possibility!"

Please feel free to let us know if you have had this experience.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

lynski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 12:32pm
Hi there,

It certainly seems like Kia have a problem with shattering sunroofs! My husband was driving our 2011 Kia Sportage yesterday afternoon along a quiet road when the front sunroof just exploded for no reason. He had our 2 little kids with him who were very scared by the incident although luckily not injured by the tiny fragments of flying glass. The interior of our car was covered in glass & we now have a gaping whole in the roof - great!! Kia do not want to know about this (seemingly couldn't care less actually) & also told us that this is not under warranty (starting to wonder just what is to be honest!!). We are now waiting for the glass to be replaced via Autoglass who told us it could take up to 2 weeks for a replacement & that they cannot understand why this is not under warranty.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of anyone who has? I do not think such an incident should just happen out of the blue & Kia need to take responsibility, so the more of us that come forward to report such incidents the better in order for them to sit up and do something about it. Who knows, next time someone may end up being injured as a result.
I also want to know why replacement glass cannot not be located within 24 hours....hmmm! Not impressed & hope more people come forward to report such incidents as I'll bet there are others out there who simply replace the glass but say nothing.

Many thanks
MrGreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:00pm
Hi,

Sounds exactly like my experience. The most frustrating part is the long wait for the part to arrive which in my opinion is unacceptable. It took us almost 3 weeks to get the sunroof fixed. Took 2 weeks for the part to arrive at the Kia Dealer and an extra week for it to get delivered to National Windscreen and an available date for installation. So as you can imagine, it has left a very bitter taste and I will certainly not be buying another KIA if this is the service I receive. It was not a cheap car and I brought it brand new with cash. The warranty was what swayed me to choose Kia and so I am not impressed at all.

Let me give you some advice so that it will help you push KIA to expedite the part. I called their customer service and filed a complaint. Before you call get autoglass to give u the order number and the dearler they purchased it from and any other info. With this info you can pressure KIA into locating it and chasing that part and making them deliver it faster. The lady I spoke to was called Sharon and apparantly there is only one Sharon working there. She cannot obviously deny that there has not been exploding sunroofs and therefore maybe you could take it further if you wish. After 2 weeks of waiting and without a ETA and being so fed up that this could drag on, i got the info and pressured KIA and low and behold they had a delivery date of the next day! Wished I didn't leave it for 2 weeks as maybe i could have pushed them earlier but my kids were ill and I totally forgot about it!

I agree with you. These incidents should be reported and filed with KIA as i'm sure many just go via the insurance and then forget about it.

Hope u get it sorted.
wingmanmay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingmanmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:26pm
Hi all,

We purchased a brand new 13 plated Kia sportage KX3, collected it on the 24th April 2013. Today Tuesday 7th May - my wife return to the car, after a days work to find that the panoramic rear sunroof, the one that doesn't move, had completely shattered. All the glass around the nuts and bolt along the edges was missing and the centre of the glass section had lifted in the middle causing a crack!. 

I couldnt figure out what had happended but reading through the owners forum its clearly the exploding sunroof problem, which has been mentioned over and over on this forum.

Taking the car to KIA in the morning - reading the forum not holding my breath but prepared for argument! no way i'm paying! Watchdog here we come! 
murphwiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphwiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by wingmanmay wingmanmay wrote:

collected it on the 24th April 2013. Today Tuesday 7th May -

The key here, you're within the limits for warranty consideration, flaw in material will manifest itself very quickly, not a year or 2 later.
denhill56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote denhill56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 8:26am
I parked my 2012 plated Kia sportage KX3, returned 10 minutes later to find a car full of glass, the roof had just shattered with no evidence of foul play.....gutted.
Are Kia replacing the roof under warranty ???
SusieSweets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SusieSweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 1:40pm
The sunroof of my Kia Sportage 2012 imploded on entry to a major motorway with no other cars near me to 'throw up' stones or debris to cause the shatter.
I had my 7 month old baby in the back seat and my 9 year old daughter in the front. She was terrified as the glass kept falling in as i couldnt stop immediately and my son had glass in his car seat that he could have picked up and put in his mouth.
Kia are refusing to acknowledge any responsibility despite numerous cases reported in Canada and the US - as well as here in the UK.
Roseuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roseuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 5:25pm
This has happened to me today!

I have a Kia Sportage 2015.

I am 100% sure that nothing hit the sunroof, there wasn't anything on the road near me for anything to have been thrown up.

The noise was horrific!

I see that a lot of people's were fixed via windscreen claim? Mine has gone through normal claim which means £245 excess!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
markohalloran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markohalloran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:52am
2013/63 plate Sportage Nav 3.

My front sunroof exploded yesterday afternoon as I was leaving a roundabout aprox 25mph, dry weather cloudy with wind speed about 20 pmh air temp about 14c, yeah we have a weather station at work as we have to stop work at windspeeds above 25 mph. Big cranes and high winds don't mix. I was 5 minutes from work just about to join a motorway when this happened.

No vehicles in front to throw stones, clear grass area either side so nobody to throw stones. a smooth road without potholes. I initally thought a blown tyre but did'nt lose any control. I selected the 4 way switch and got my car to a safe location to stop. Initial assesment was WTF but then realised the internal cover of the front sunroof was sagging so checked outside and found big hole were glass should be.

I rang my Kia dealer and was advised not under warranty and now waiting for Autoglass via Admiral to assist with repairs. Gentleman on the phone has dealt with this before with Kia Sportage and not under warranty. My family have bought 12 Kia cars, my daughter took delivery last saturday of her KX2 so very annoyed with Kia lack of customer care. Canada have a recall on Kia Sunroofs and the US Kia are under investigation by the NTSB vehicles unit whilst an owners class action suit is going  to court.
Roseuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roseuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:45am
I lease my car and neither Kia or the leasing company wanted anything to do with it.
My insurance company messed it up also initially telling me that because it was a manufacturing fault they would not pay after they had sent me to a body shop that wanted £7000 to fix it!

After 6 very long weeks of arguing and complaining the insurance company finally agreed to let national windscreens fix it as they could not prove that anything hit it.

There does not seem to be anywhere to go with the complaints to Kia as they say that in ratio to the amount sold it has not happened to enough for them to take responsibility although I do believe that they have since changed the glass they use.

My car is due for renewal next April. I will not be going to Kia again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic