FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Kia Sedona TS - brakes binding again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
the master View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 3:08pm

It always makes me angry how people view a dealer/garage trying to help them.

"helpful cost to them" "not covered by extended warranty of course" Yes of course not, brakes are a serviceable item and as such are subject to adverse wear and tear and the customer has to pay for their motoring, it is not the extended warranty or the dealers responsibility

The days of 'Arfur Daly' have long since gone in franchise dealers. There is more compliance, more training and regulation than in almost any other retailing business, yet still you snipe at dealers.

This sort of blog only serves to alienate the dealers and reputable garages that try hard with people like you!

Sponsored Links

wedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:04pm
There are now two burning questions:
- I recently joined this web site to find out a little more about the problem and the initial responses were extremely helpful. In fact they led to my discovering that the garage inquestion and, it seems other Kia garages, had not carried out work recommended by the manufacturer following problems with the braking system. The approach to ask that the adjustment was carried out during work or servicing is, it seems in the minds of some, to be an effective 'quiet' recall. I would like to thank those members.
- The other burning question is the latest blog which is, of course, quite offensive and unnecessary. Replacement of pads are of course serviceable but if damage is caused to parts of the braking system other than by normal wear and tear the situation is rather more unclear. In this case by Kia's own admittance it would seem there was a manufacturing issue. The large dealer garages seem these days to resolve most issues by replacing rather than carrying out repairs and I was simply seeking an alternative solution only because the cost of rectifying the problems cause by one seized caliper at £661 seemed exceedingly high to me.

This sort of blog only serves to alienate customers who try hard to understand a little more about their problems and it is a sad reflection when someone feels this kind of response is justified.

alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by the master the master wrote:

It always makes me angry how people view a dealer/garage trying to help them.

"helpful cost to them" "not covered by extended warranty of course" Yes of course not, brakes are a serviceable item and as such are subject to adverse wear and tear and the customer has to pay for their motoring, it is not the extended warranty or the dealers responsibility

The days of 'Arfur Daly' have long since gone in franchise dealers. There is more compliance, more training and regulation than in almost any other retailing business, yet still you snipe at dealers.

This sort of blog only serves to alienate the dealers and reputable garages that try hard with people like you!

Appreciate that brakes are a serviceable item - but if a Dealership fails to carry out a simple modification that has been circulated by Kia via a bulletin and then as a result of this mod not being carried out part of the braking system needs replacement is it fair that the customer should have to foot the bill? I don't think so.
I have said in previous posts that I am sure there are a lot of 'good' garages out there that will give an excellent service - but if you look through previous posts there are obviously a lot of crap ones out to make a quick buck. I have suggested in the past that members should name garages where they have received good service and likewise where they have not. This would help a lot of members unable to do thier own repairs to find a garage in their area that is recommended by other Kia owners.  
the master View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:23pm

In reply to both "wedgie" and "alcutler"

There are a lot of VERY GOOD garages out there, I agree, but for any franchised dealer to remain in a franchise they have to demonstrate consistently high standards of training and compliance, plus  massive investment in tooling and technology.  True there are many resources available to customers and dealers these days, not all of which are accurate and or fair. Technical bulletins designed for internal use within a franchise posted by individuals who should have known better would not be included in that category. It is obvious that these blogs are intended for use by everyone, so let’s try and take a balanced and fair view, then people would not be offended by remarks which were posted because of inflammatory blogs on either side of an argument or a viewpoint. It is fair to say that from time to time, to err is only human. Last post from me on this matter, as I am sure reasonable people will/could sort this out with their dealer, regardless of who they are, or where they are. No doubt there is two sides to any situation!!

alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:18pm
'Technical bulletins designed for internal use within a franchise posted by individuals who should have known better would not be included in that category'
Why should there be any secrecy over advisory technical bulletins issued by Kia. I'm sure they would prefer them to be kept within the Kia family and not disclosed to Kia owners for obvious reasons - but I joined this forum so that I could carry out my own repairs and tap into the large amount of knowledge of other members in order to do this. If I can help other members by sending them a copy of a bulletin then all the better, this prevents them replacing parts when not needed and sort out their particular problem with the minimum of hassle and expense.
Ideally every Technical Bulletin issued should be made available on these forums to help Kia owners.
wedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 6:07pm
I agree entirely. Perhaps it is the manufacturer and franchised dealers who should know better rather than the customer. It is not that long ago since Toyota came out from behind the smokescreen. One cannot help but wonder the extent of problems which manufacturers and dealers refuse to acknowledge.

This is a users' forum and there is nothing illegal in sharing knowledge. However, withheld information may well fall foul of both criminal and civil law on serious issues.

Let's face it manufactueres and dealers are in the business for one reason and that is to maximise profitability. There will always be a delicate balance between profit and maintaining customer loyalty. The latter seems less important these days with banks, utility and insurance companies perhaps being the glaring examples.

Apparently silence is a virtue so perhaps much of what followed a saintly effort to provide some help was better left unsaid.

leevis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leevis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 12:06pm
Hi alcutler, would you please send me a copy of the internal memo re: brake mod.  My 09 TS has just developed a brake judder at speed.  I would like as much info as possible before i take it back to the franchise.  Cheers.  Lee
leevis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leevis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 12:11pm
Sorry alcutler, forgot my e-mail....DERRRRR!    lee.vis@virgin.net   Big smile
alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 5:26pm
Hi, Sent via email address, Cheers
bruno1926 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno1926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by wedge wedge wrote:

I agree entirely. Perhaps it is the manufacturer and franchised dealers who should know better rather than the customer. It is not that long ago since Toyota came out from behind the smokescreen. One cannot help but wonder the extent of problems which manufacturers and dealers refuse to acknowledge.

This is a users' forum and there is nothing illegal in sharing knowledge. However, withheld information may well fall foul of both criminal and civil law on serious issues.

Let's face it manufactueres and dealers are in the business for one reason and that is to maximise profitability. There will always be a delicate balance between profit and maintaining customer loyalty. The latter seems less important these days with banks, utility and insurance companies perhaps being the glaring examples.

Apparently silence is a virtue so perhaps much of what followed a saintly effort to provide some help was better left unsaid.

I agree with what you and Allan are saying, trying to get any kind of information from the 3 1/2 Kia dealers around me is like trying to pull teeth using a tow rope and an artic truck in the dark when its raining. The  reason it's 3 1/2 half dealers is that one  can't make up it's mind if it is or not  a real Kia  dealer  ie  we have not done any Sedona's etc here . Never have I met  a car company that holds on to information as tighly as Kia dealers seems to do, although this may change  now they are owned by Hyundai as they do seem a little  more  customer  friendly  when asked questions, although why Kia seem to be like this is anyones  guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic