FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Kia Sedona TS - brakes binding again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kia Sedona TS - brakes binding again
    Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:43am
Hi, I have a 2006 Sedona 2.9 TS which I have owned for a couple of years. It has now done 23k. Just before it was 3years old I took it back to the Kia dealer I bought it from as it had developed a steering  shudder when braking at speed. I know a bit about cars and thought the front discs needed replacing -  the dealer said that he would skim them under warrenty - if they needed replacing I would have to pay. He skimmed them which cured the shudder but I noticed that the brakes appeared to be binding and when I looked at the front disc pads they were worn so I replaced them myself. I would have thought that the pads would have been replaced when the discs were skimmed - but hey. After replacing the pads all seemed ok - but recently I have noticed that the brakes are occasionally binding again. I have looked through this forum and someone has said this is a common problem - can anyone tell me how to cure it please - something to do with adjusting the brake vacumn connecting rod I believe - any help would be appreciated Thanks 
Sponsored Links

rojtatton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rojtatton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 12:40pm
hi
im sure they replaced the master cylinder when they did mine
corcaighbhoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corcaighbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:30pm
hi im suprised they did grind the discs not usually what a dealerwould do its just replace with them ,check the calipers copper slip everything give it all a clean then see how that is .Pig
night is darkest just before the dawn.
alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:39am
Hi, Yes got one of those machines that does it on the car - did say they would have to check if there was enough to grind some off - they did and then trued them up. The alternative was for them to replace the discs at my expense as they are not covered by warrenty.
Thanks for the reply - stripped the fornt brakes down yesterday morning (nice in the sunshine) - all looked ok apart from noticing that on the front offside,(which is the wheel that seemed to be worst affected) when I seperated the caliper I found that there was two small bright polished areas where the pads were obviously making contact with the top half of the caliper casting - I ground a bit off the edge of the pad where it was making contact and so far - a couple of short runs yesterday and today it seems to be ok. Wonder if when the pads get warm they are expanding, making contact with the caliper causing it to bind and preventing it from releasing when the brake pressure is off . Early days yet I'll see how it goes.
I would still like to know how to adjust the servo arm - on mine there seems to be very little free play in the brake pedal - I've got a CD manual for the older shape Sedona which looks like a similar setup but does not give enough detail how to do it - obviouly I need to remove the master cylinder but where do I go from there?

alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:46am

alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 1:16pm
Hi, Just to update you on this - I adjusted the servo pushrod a couple of days ago - easy to do - but as usual on Kias awkward to get at - impossible to measure the gap between the pushrod end and the master cylinder - so I measured the length of exposed thread on the pushrod using a digital vernier and shortened it by 1 mm - put it all back together and hey presto its cured the problem - in fact its like driving a different vehicle, with fuel consumption improving no end and it handles much better all round. There is a slight more play on the brake pedal but nothing that would affect the MOT, etc.
I have obviously been driving around with the brakes binding - probably since I bought it 2+ years ago - but now they are running a lot cooler and at an even temperature all round.
This problem affects some of the first new shape Sedonas (2006) but a Kia mechanic has told me that they have had some up to 2008 with brakes binding and in need of this mod.
I have a copy of the Bulletin if anyone needs it and would be happy to help anyone with the same problem. ( I feel this may be responsible for a lot of members getting poor comsumption figures, without noticing the brakes dragging)
Thanks everyone for their hel - in particular Murphywiz - who made me aware of the Kia bulletin in the first place. 
wedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:59am
I have recently suffered from brakes etc overheating and some shuddering and originally thought it was a balance problem.

I am currently trying to resolve the problem (not covered by extended warranty of course. What is?).

My local dealer says I have a seized caliper on the front offside and suggests I need to replace the caliper, both discs and both pads and the helpful cost (to them) of £661.

This seems an over the top solution and I would be grateful for a copy of the bulletin referred to.

Any views on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:00pm
Hi, Sounds very much to me that the servo needs adjusting - this was subject to a bulletin circulated to all Kia dealers - advising that this modification should be carried out if any work is done to the braking system. Quite easy to do and we have some excellent results from one or two members that have done it including me!
Do not change any part of the braking system until you have done / had done the mod to the servo - although if you have been driving it with the brakes binding you will probably need new discs and pads anyhow because of the heat generated - if I can be of any further help get back to me.

Take a look at this earlier posting - it has a bit more detail http://...kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1783&KW=.html - if you do want a copy of the bulletin send me an email address to send it to - its not brilliant a copy of a fax but enough detail to get the gist of the information.
Cheers
AlanThumbs Up

Edited by alcutler - 15 Nov 2010 at 1:11pm
wedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 3:29pm
Yes please do

email address.............regandlinda@talktalk.net

many thanks
alcutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:22pm
Email sentThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic