FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

KIa Rio 2014 clutch worn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonno1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KIa Rio 2014 clutch worn?
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:34pm
I may have posted a similar issue on this forum before. I have a 2014 Kia Rio 1.2 with nearly 30,000 miles. I bought the car from a dealer 2 years ago when it was 2 years old. I've noticed that when the car is tackling a hill, there is a smell of burning. I suspect it is the clutch that is worn. I took the car in for its annual service today, and the dealer confirmed that the clutch is getting worn. I guess that the clutch would not be repaired under warranty as it is a consumable part, but I do not think I have worn out the clutch because of my driving style - my last car a Vauxhall Corsa went to 125,000 miles in my ownership with no replacement clutch fitted! So how would I go about approaching this issue with the Kia dealer - to see if it can be replaced under warranty - and what would I need to do to prove that the clutch was worn not because of my driving, but because of a manufacturing defect?
Sponsored Links

Steve7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:24pm
Good luck with that, I had my clutch replaced in exchanged for £650 ish....

Mine failed at 70k, and I think its a design fail.

Rio 3 CDI
artscot79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artscot79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:16pm
I think it's deliberate put in crappy clutches so all the owners have to pay to have it replaced prematurely I've never had to replace a clutch in any but one car my old focus which was at 83k miles all my other cars still on original clutch 123k 79k 68k
grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:28pm
I have the previous model, 2008 Rio(crdi). 90,000 miles on the same clutch. It is practically unknown for the clutch to wear out under 100,000 miles on this model. There seems to be some truth in what artscot79 says
Toxic VR7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toxic VR7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:17pm
It's a known fault on the 1.2 petrol engine. Mine juddered on pull away as many others have said but Kia refuse to acknowledge the problem. Glad I got shot of mine now. Current car 1.6 tdci Mondeo still on original clutch at 106000 miles. Norfolkia has the same car that I had,hopefully he will be along to comment too.
Elvira was a 3Door VR7 1.25 Petrol in Midnight Black Metallic.Gone to a new home now.Juan is her car,it`s a 1.1D Air in Midnight Black Metallic.
Aerojay786 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerojay786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:30pm
I had a 16 reg 1.25 sr7 complained about clutch fell on deaf ears was told need to give it revs. always thought something was wrong. Now I have a Hyundai i20 it literally moves and then some on the bite and can keep its own on hills.
ste372 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ste372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:26am
We had a 1.25 on a 12 plate for the missus. Clutch had already been replaced once before we bought it at 6 months old/6k miles. Clutch failed again around 12k miles. Ours had a updated clutch kit fitted, new master and slave cylinders fitted all under warranty straight away. They told me it was a known fault. Car was faultless and you could feel what the clutch was doing once it had been replaced for the second time.
chrisnewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisnewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:30pm
i have a 2016 1.25 Kia, do you think the clutch will have been fitted with the new improved clutch system?
ste372 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ste372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:21am
I would imagine so now mate. I'm talking over 5yrs ago when we had the other rio now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic