FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Keeps going!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeps going!
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:00pm
My old(08) Rio crdi passed the MOT today. No advisories. Best value for money car I ever bought. I suppose the diesel "STAZI" will see it off before long which will be a real shame. Apart from a clutch slave cylinder at Christmas and the dreaded ignition barrel coil a few years ago it has been brilliant. Just tyres,pads and discs and minor stuff. Original clutch and exhaust.
Having said that the car has been wax oiled since I bought it new and serviced regularly. I'll keep it as long as I can

Edited by grumpycrdi - 12 Feb 2018 at 9:08pm
Sponsored Links

Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:08am
Glad it passed. It amazes me how much of a kicking us Diesel drivers are getting just now!
 Surely it's more environmentally sound to keep an older well maintained Diesel car on the road until it's no longer viable. Rather than scrapping a perfectly serviceable car, especially with the colossal amounts of energy and raw materials required to replace said perfectly good car? It's always seemed a bit of a paradox to me.Confused
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:07am
You are absolutely right Gary! But in all political decisions I don't think common sense really comes into it. The EV manufacturers are clamouring for profits, and the easiest and most profitable target for the likes of Sadiq Khan is the private car owner.(as usual) They dare not tackle the really big polluters.
Rant over. Going to lie down in a darkened room
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:20am
Just before you shut the blinds, what's the craic with this waxoil? I'm taking my 2 and a half year old Cee'd in for an air con service in March (may consider getting it undersealed too.) It's my intention to keep the old girl for as long as is humanly possible.
 Is it something a regular garage does? Is it a one off application? Is it expensive to have done?
 Sorry for all the questions!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:51am
When I first had the wax oil done, my local independent garage did it using a high pressure spray. They drilled the box sections on the chassis and pumped the stuff in and plugged the holes with grommets. Then they sprayed the stuff behind the wheel arch liners and finished up by covering the exhaust up and spraying the rest of the underside. At five years old it was just sprayed underneath and same again last year. The car stinks for a couple of weeks when it's done. The first application was about £100 (nine years ago) but the top up spray last year costs about £25 plus an hour's labour
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:58am
Many thanks for that! I shall ask the question when I get the air con serviced. Thumbs Up
dave1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:14am
It's probably too late to get the full advantage of Waxoyl. It's best done when the car is new and clean underneath.

I Waxoyled my old Hillman Imp Sport when it was new, and it only gave up the ghost when we rolled it it on a Hamsterley Forest stage, on a particularly fast tightening bend, some 10 years later. When we inspected the remains the structural floor pan was bent but no rust!

It's good stuff.
"The Boss" has a 13-plate Picanto and I have a 17-plate 1.0 ltr Hyundai i30 Se Nav new generation with all the options(and very nice it is too.....)
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by dave1978 dave1978 wrote:

It's probably too late to get the full advantage of Waxoyl. It's best done when the car is new and clean underneath.

I Waxoyled my old Hillman Imp Sport when it was new, and it only gave up the ghost when we rolled it it on a Hamsterley Forest stage, on a particularly fast tightening bend, some 10 years later. When we inspected the remains the structural floor pan was bent but no rust!

It's good stuff.
Cheers for your insight Thumbs Up The car was 6 months old when I bought it so unfortunately the under side wasn't clean when I got it.
 It was never my intention to keep it long enough to have to worry about sealing the underneath but since the Green Taliban declared war on Diesel and destroyed it's residual value, I decided that I would keep it and run it into the ground.
 It's kind of my two fingered salute to all the greenies! LOL

rizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm
Next time you are in a decent news agent, have a look at Land Rover magazines (the “Let’s Off Road” type!), and you usually find a full page advert by a waxoil expert. Interesting how he deals with new and re-applications, and does not just spray onto a dirty chassis. Would give an idea of price as well. All day job, with courtesy car to go sight seeing, whilst it is done!!! No, I have no connection with him!
Fleet: Kia Venga 3 1.6 auto, Subaru XV 2.0 SE Premium Lineartronic, Hyundai i40 Estate.
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by rizmo rizmo wrote:

Next time you are in a decent news agent, have a look at Land Rover magazines (the “Let’s Off Road” type!), and you usually find a full page advert by a waxoil expert. Interesting how he deals with new and re-applications, and does not just spray onto a dirty chassis. Would give an idea of price as well. All day job, with courtesy car to go sight seeing, whilst it is done!!! No, I have no connection with him!
Sounds like a plan!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic