FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Intermittant engine start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gregk9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregk9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittant engine start
    Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm
magentis 2.5ltr V6 2002 saloon auto with triptronic box [if it kames a difference].

Now, if you turn the ignition key to start the engine.....if you're lucky its starts first time....if not...turn the key back to off...and try again....maybe 3 or 4 times and then engine fires....or if really unlucky you have to do this maybe up to  10 times...yet if you switch the engine off...then try a restart...it may start first time or maybe 3rd or 4th time again.

Each time you try to start the engine...the engine turns over..but wont fire...but you do hear the fuel pump prime up ok...so somewhere its not getting a signal to allow engien to fire.

I have replaced the sensor coil around the ignition switch to no avail.

On good days the car will start first time too...this fault is so variable.

HELP PLEASE .Cry

many thanks in advance.Big smile
Sponsored Links

f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:55pm
what is the immo light doing when it wont start,
gregk9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregk9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:05pm
there is no immobiliser light on this model.... nothing  visible from driving position put it that way.
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm
could it be the immo light bulb is blown, have a look in the hand book to see if it has one, it is an important first step in order to determine what is wrong. if it does not have one then you are going to need a plug in diag from a dealer. you can assume compression is ok, that leaves three basic things to check. fuel pressure at the fuel rail when cranking, even tho you can hear the pump you cannot assume you have fuel pressure. then you need a spark, and last you need an injection pulse at the injector, if it is intermittant then it is difficult to pin it down what is missing. 
gregk9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregk9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 9:35pm
Thanks for your reply, but I say again, this model does not have an immobiliser light for you as the driver to see.
The system does not always play up, sometimes it can go for days/weeks on end without a glitch and start first time, every time....then it glitches and can take up to 7 attempts to get the engien to fire, which leads to a signal fault between the immobilser and the engine ecu does it not... if fuel pressure, injection pulse or spark...then this would be more concurrent no doubts.

However since my initial post...ive removed all the centre console trim to get better view of where the immobiliser ecu sits, by the gearbox ecu...I move a load of wires around and now, its back to starting every time....so Im going to check all the multi plugs for a dty joint, along with all the earth points...as this seems more likely.

taking to a dealer who can plug the car in will only work if it plays up and a code possibly stored, as my diag system will not see any codes or errors when ive tried , plus its finding a dealer with someone old enough that works there who knows 2002my vehicle range these days... modern techs with a diag laptop are in my opinion more dangerous and more expensive than someone with a more older / seasoned approach who knows the quirks of the older range.

f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:13pm
failure to start will not generate a signal fault, unless it was already there in the first place, kia were always bad for multi plug connections, the male/female parts do not always make good connections. I always put a slight twist on the male blade so as to make sure it gest a good connection when the plug is put back together.
gregk9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregk9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:21pm
"failure to start will not generate a signal fault"  you say, yet you suggested in your first reply to take it to a dealer for a diagnostic.... thats would of cost almost £90 for nothing then.  Glad i didnt take your original advise.

I will continue to sort this on my own.

Thanks for your opinions....

grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:05pm
You came to the forum asking for help. You were given the best advice the member could offer but your response was insulting. We like to be more respectful. Please bear this in mind
f0ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f0ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:08pm
you appear to know it all why ask then
gregk9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregk9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:31pm
the written word is often more misunderstood than that of the spoken word. No offense intended.
there are always two ways of reading things.

so lets just leave it here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic