New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Too: Starter Motor Solenoid Repair (Pic Heavy)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Topic ClosedHow Too: Starter Motor Solenoid Repair (Pic Heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Too: Starter Motor Solenoid Repair (Pic Heavy)
    Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:42pm
Ok, if your starter just clicks intermittently when you try to start it, the chances are it is the solenoid contacts that have worn. This is quite an easy and cheap fix, £13.50 for parts against £120ish for a new starter. I removed my starter a couple of weeks ago to get the serial number from it (needed to order the parts) and I cleaned all the old worn contacts before I temporarilly refitted it whilst I waited for the new parts to arrive. The starter worked fine for a couple of weeks, but then started playing up again, so with my new parts to hand I took it off again.
The whole job from start to finish took me just an hour, and that included taking photos.

Step 1: Disconnect the Battery

Remove these 2 bolts.

Step 2: Remove Airfilter Box
Remove the 2 airfilter box nuts, and the 1 at the rear of the box.

Unscrew the clamp around the pipe, also remove the electrical connector from the top of the filter.

Remove the complete air filter box from the car.

Unscrew the clamp around the turbo inlet and remove the hose.
Warning, whilst this is removed be very careful no debris enters the Turbo Inlet!

You can now see the starter!

Step 3: Remove the starter

This is hard to see because of the location, but at the back of the starter are 2 electrical connectors.
1 is a simple push fit trigger lead, and the other is the main battery lead and is secured by a 12mm nut. Remove both of these, be careful not to lose the 12mm nut!

Remove the 2 (mine only had 2 bolts, not sure if this is the norm because there is a 3rd hole??) 17mm bolts that hold the starter. 1 is on the top and can be easily seen (see previous photos) but the 2nd is underneath and cant be seen without a mirror, but can be felt.

Now the starter is loose, and with a bit of jiggling, it can be removed from the car.

Step 4: Remove the Solenoid

Remove the nut

and this one too.

Remove these 3 screws,

and remove the end cap.

Remove the Solenoid push rod, be careful not to lose the spring!

Next remove the 2 nuts holding the connectors, take note of the positions of any washers, spacers etc.

OLD vs NEW

Step 5: Refit New Parts

Refit is reversal of removal, using any new parts/washers etc supplied in the kit.
Be very careful to refit all washers and spacers in the correct order, otherwise a short circuit could occur.
Fit the new push rod and then refit the end cap. refit the nuts and cable to the electrical points.
Ok, now the starter is done, if you are happy it has all been put together correctly you can refit it back onto the car. getting the starter back in position can take a bit of jiggling about to get it lined up.
Once ALL removed parts are refitted, reconnect the battery and test your starter. Job Done.

I'm not sure if the starter can be removed any easier from underneath the car, but I found this way pretty easy.

Sponsored Links

davy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:46pm
Excellent pics and method of removal. Thumbs Up
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:50pm
The parts needed can be ordered from a well known auction site, or by contacting this guy:

www.repairkitsuk.com

or Call Carl on 07500197742 for any help or advice (9am to 9pm 7days)

alcutler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:04pm
Excellent 'How to' - Thanks for taking the time and trouble to compile it and even the details where the parts can be obtained. A friend of mine used to refurbish starters and alternators and he says that 99% of the starters he repaired the fault lay with the contacts in the solenoid as you have demonstrated.
Thanks again - appreciated
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:24pm
Please note I am not related to the person or business in the post with the contact details for the required parts. The parts you need may be available from other companies, this was the company I purchased my parts from, and the contact details are not an advertisement

Thanks
alcutler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by m623d m623d wrote:

Please note I am not related to the person or business in the post with the contact details for the required parts. The parts you need may be available from other companies, this was the company I purchased my parts from, and the contact details are not an advertisement

Thanks
I heard you calling him Dad! - only joking - no, thanks for the info - I believe if any member does get good service or comes across a source of quality parts,etc  - they should pass on details to others - thats what the Forum is all about, Thanks for the info.
bruno1926 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this. It all helps other when we have the problem. Not sure if the  starter is easier to take out from underneath the car as the drive shaft and the bulkhead are quite tight at that side of the car along with the steering rack,I've always juggled them out from above iI think the only thing I have done from under the car was the 12 mil nut with a socket.
stevegx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 6:59pm

The parts needed can be ordered from a well known auction site, or by contacting this guy:

www.repairkitsuk.com

or Call Carl on 07500197742 for any help or advice (9am to 9pm 7days)

Hi. Great photos and write up. The www. address is the one I came across and added to my favorites. I was going to us this supplier, his web site is very good. Now I have seen the parts and your photos I wil be doing mine when car back from dealers...£900.
Thanks Steve G Blackpool
-X-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic