FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Topic ClosedHow Too: Rear Shocker Top Bushes (pic heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Too: Rear Shocker Top Bushes (pic heavy)
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 6:28pm
Just done my 2005 rear shocker top bushes.
I bought genuine Kia bushes, part no. K0K72A28799 - E29B1 Plate Rubber - £8.83 inc vat for 4
You need 2 for each side.
It took me 45 mins for the first one and around 30 for the other side, as I then knew how to do it and wasnt taking pictures!
First jack up one side rear wheel (I used the vehicle jack as its a good strong one) and remove the rear wheel.
Place another jack under the shocker lower mounting point (the mount, not the actual shock absorber) and wind up just taking a little of the axle weight
Remove the lower shock absorber bolt (17mm)
Next remove the 5 (4 if its the passenger side) 17mm bolts holding the shock absorber top mount
Bolts Removed
You should now be able to remove the complete shock absorber with the top mount
Next you need to remove the 2 17mm nuts from the top of the Shocker. There are 2 nuts used instead of a single locking nut. So 2 17mm spanners, one on each nut, and undo the top one, whilst holding the lower one.
Once you have removed the 2 nuts, you can take off the top washer followed by the old bush. Then remove the shocker from the mount and remove the other old bush
Here are mine shown against the new ones...
I think they are a little worn!!
Rebuild is the reverse, place new bushes on shocker
And retighten the 2 nuts on the shocker top, nice and tight.
Then replace the whole unit back onto the vehicle
Tighten all nuts/bolts (3 grunts on a knuckle bar if you dont have a torque wrench!)
Refit wheel and remove jacks
Job done, no more rattle from the rear!
Sponsored Links

MININUT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 5:10pm
Well done!  Next time make sure you have an axle stand supporting the vehicle!! it does not take much of a nudge for those emergency jacks to slip, ok to lift the axle like you did though!
D971 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 10:21pm
Hi there
what symptoms did you have to discover these bushes were worn? The reason I ask is I get a rattling sound from underneath my sedona when going over roughish roads and humps, mine sounds like the exhaust is loose and rattley at the back somewhere, but I have checked and re checked all the mountings, I was suspecting mine now to be a loose baffle or something in the backbox, but I suppose it could be coming from a worn rubber like yours were. Mine is a 54 plate sedona. Hope you can help
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 9:09am
HI, yes I had a rattle from the drivers side over every little bump, you could even hear it from outside.
I thought it was the spare wheel carrier as the rattle seemed to start after I removed it to fit my towbar, but it wasnt.
I found it by getting hold of the shocker top and pulling/pushing, and I could hear the noise.
You can do this without removing the wheel or jacking up.
I could also see the bushes were in a bad way.
I also wondered if it was the exhaust.
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 9:13am
Thanks Mininut, Yes of course you should always use an axle stand and chock the front wheels before commencing any work on your vehicle.
Safety First guys
MININUT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by m623d m623d wrote:

Thanks Mininut, Yes of course you should always use an axle stand and chock the front wheels before commencing any work on your vehicle.
Safety First guys

I'm sorry to pass comment, but I'd hate to think if you or anyone else went under a vehicle with only those jacks supporting it!  Carry on with the good work though mate, 10 out of 10 for the photos!! 
D971 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:55pm
Thanks for that, Ive kept looking under the car for months now, and its slowly getting worse. I,ll have a look again at the weekend and post a reply.Thanks again.
stevegx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:26am
Hi m623d. Great post, and photos make all the difference. Well done you.
I am venturing ing fitting a new gear cable connectioon system as mine sheared and gear lever like a broken dogs leg. Quoted £250 for new one and then the fitting. Good used one £89 and seems 'easy' to fit have taken old one off in an hour and not done this before. Luv my sedona...
Steve Gx Blackpool
Might try photos too!
-X-
m623d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 3:35pm
Hi Steve, thanks,
Yes take some photos and do a How to like this one, then message the mod and ask him to make it a 'sticky' so it stays at the top of the forum posts.

Mark
RichieD76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by m623d m623d wrote:

Hi Steve, thanks,
Yes take some photos and do a How to like this one, then message the mod and ask him to make it a 'sticky' so it stays at the top of the forum posts.

Mark

Of even better, make a how2 or technical area with great maintenance material like this.

What my question to you is... What stance would Kia have in replacing bushes with nylon bushes, or products of a superior quality to there own parts? Obviously only asking in your opinion.     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic