FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

How Average Speed Cameras Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GTOldie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTOldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Average Speed Cameras Work
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 6:43am
Average speed cameras have gone live along the A565, a busy route through Lancashire.

The point-to-point cameras cover a four-mile stretch of the Southport Road under an initiative from The Lancashire Road Safety Partnership.

Many drivers are still unsure as to how these cameras work. For those that don't know, they work by using automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) which records the vehicle's number plate at each camera position. 

Then, using the distance between positions, the average speed can be calculated by the time taken to travel between two cameras.

Courtesy pocketgpsworld.com

Tim
2014 Red Pro_Cee'd base GT (~1W, In Wales)
Sponsored Links

TerryB58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryB58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:09am
. . . and they can be used by ALL averaging cameras around the country.  Therefore if your vehicle is 'seen' in Lancashire then 'seen' again in Bristol 2 hours later, guess who knows that you have been flying LOL
Acenta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:37am
It constantly amuses me how drivers of Audi's, BMW's and Merc's do not understand what the word "average" means. On local "smart" motorways with regular camera gantry's and clear signage for variable speed limits they go like the clappers and then brake down to the displayed limit for the camera's. As soon as they are past off they disappear into the distance at warp speed until their brake lights come on for the next camera.

Do they really do anything or are they just a waste of money. If they actually monitor speed the drivers should have enough Argos points for a whole catalogue of goods.
ItsOnlyMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsOnlyMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:40am
I often wonder if those makes of cars suffer with faulty speedometers, it seems that their indicators don't often work so who knows? LOL
2016 1.6 CRDi Cee'd 3
grumpycrdi View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpycrdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:38am
I've noticed on the M60 50mph limit that my 50 mph is inferior to an Audi/BMW 50mph!
georgewn.1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote georgewn.1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:48pm
Call me old fashioned but I like to stay within the law and keep my license clean, that is why I love the speed limit function on my Cee'd.
mr.macspot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.macspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:11pm
We know somebody who took the 'drive fast, then slow down for the camera' approach, she was totally gobsmacked when she got a speeding ticket. She couldn't get her head around the 'average' part.
2017 Kia Sportage KX-2 (Planet Blue).
Turnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 6:47pm
Don't sweat it - just look on it as a stupid tax.
Sportage 1.6T DCT GT-line
GTOldie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTOldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:02pm
I use my satnav to calibrate my speedo so I can just stay within the limit and set my speed limiter correspondingly!
Tim
GTOldie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTOldie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:14am
Same Camera Catches Driver 14 Times!

The same set of average speed cameras has caught a hapless driver speeding fourteen times. It isn't clear why they were caught so often, but it's assumed that many motorists still don't understand how average cameras work.

The cameras, on Marine Parade, Brighton, only came into action at the end of May this year and were the first permanent (as opposed to road-works) average speed cameras in East Sussex.

Between May and the first week of August, over 1,800 vehicles have been recorded at speeds in excess of 36mph on the road, including one motorist at 63mph.

Sussex Safer Roads Partnership commented: "The overall compliance is in excess of 99.6 per cent of vehicle total movements which we hope will further improve in the future but does show the vast majority of road users are aware of and comply with the scheme. The new schemes will be subject to a review by the partnership to establish their effectiveness in reducing collisions."

Source 
Courtesy: pocketgpsworld.com 

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic