FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Hardwiring a dashcam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
PowStu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PowStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 6:43pm
My adaptor came in the post today.  Just been out to fit the camera.  Only took a couple of mins.  Hid the cable in the groove above the windscreen and in the door rubber - only a few cm visible.
I'm very pleased with how it looks and would definitely recommend the hardwire kit as it is much neater than using the 12v socket.
Thanks to everyone for the posts.
Sponsored Links

Jim in Rutland View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in Rutland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by PowStu PowStu wrote:

My adaptor came in the post today.  Just been out to fit the camera.  Only took a couple of mins.  Hid the cable in the groove above the windscreen and in the door rubber - only a few cm visible.
I'm very pleased with how it looks and would definitely recommend the hardwire kit as it is much neater than using the 12v socket.

Just had my nextbase dash cam and hard wire kit delivered. Gonna tackle it this weekend, don't suppose you could supply me with photos? Would help me greatly. Thanks in advance.
Shenar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:03am
PowStu, why hardwire it? I have the same dashcam and just plugged it into the power outlet socket below the heater controls, then route cable under glovebox and up left side of dashboard and tucked it under the A pillar trim then across top of visor to camera fixed to windscreen behind mirror. I leave it permanently plugged in.
64 2.0Crdi Satnav
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:23am
I hard wired mine as I want the 12v socket outlets for other things.
Shenar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 1:39pm
Sheets, I thought that may be a reason for hardwiring, but could it count as a modification as far as insurance company is concerned. 
PowStu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PowStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Jim in Rutland Jim in Rutland wrote:

Just had my nextbase dash cam and hard wire kit delivered. Gonna tackle it this weekend, don't suppose you could supply me with photos? Would help me greatly. Thanks in advance.

Believe me you really don't need photos!  I don't do any car tinkering any more but fitting this was a doddle.  Just choose which fuse socket to use then tuck the cable into whatever crevices you can.

I wanted it hardwired just to make it look a bit tidier Smile

Edited by PowStu - 11 Aug 2017 at 6:27pm
darich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Shenar Shenar wrote:

Sheets, I thought that may be a reason for hardwiring, but could it count as a modification as far as insurance company is concerned. 

No

But if you damage wiring then Kia may take a dim view if you try to claim an electrical fault.

2 easy ways to hardwire.
piggy back fuse
or
wire a 12v socket to a switched supply then simply plug your dash cam into it, hidden away somewhere.
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Shenar Shenar wrote:

No. Never.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in Rutland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:51pm

Originally posted by Jim in Rutland Jim in Rutland wrote:

Believe me you really don't need photos!  I don't do any car tinkering any more but fitting this was a doddle.  Just choose which fuse socket to use then tuck the cable into whatever crevices you can.

I wanted it hardwired just to make it look a bit tidier Smile

excellent, thank you.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in Rutland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 6:16am
A nice picture inside the fuse box would also be nice if you don't mind.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic