FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Fuel Filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
2010Missbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2010Missbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filter
    Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:30am
I have an 09 plate C'eed 1.6CRDi LS 5dr with 82500 miles (last serviced in July 2017 year @ 77k). A few weeks ago while driving I had an issue with the vehicle going into "limp home" mode. The following day - the car worked perfectly.

In the last few days, while driving on a dual carriage way and accelerating the vehicle has "flatlined" and then I've lost all power. Ive managed to coast to a layby and after switching the car off and waiting for 5 or so minutes, the car has started again and run fine. This has happened 3 times in the last three days but not every time I make a journey.

Ive looked up the symptoms and Ive been advised to try and have the fuel filter changed and check the coolant but no-one (Halfords or my local kia dealer) seems to want to give me a estimate to complete the replacement.

I only want a rough idea at what I should be looking at spending. Can anyone give me an idea.

Sponsored Links

gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
I changed the fuel filter in my 2010 Hyundai i20 CRDi.

Wasn't too difficult and not something I'd done before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q-ckik3dh8&t=1s
BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:29pm
Halfords probably have not a clue as other items need to be removed to get at it. Kia dealer should be able to give a price for doing seperately to a service which includes it. Usually changed by dealer at 4 year services. If been serviced at an independent then probably never been done.
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2010Missbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm
I only purchased the car a year ago so have no idea if it was done. Any ideas of a cost?

Edited by 2010Missbear - 10 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2010Missbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:48pm
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I have nowhere that I would be able to do the work - even if I had the tools (and time) but your help is much appreciated Smile

BIRDMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BIRDMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 1:06pm
A total guess for main dealer with genuine parts, but probably parts labour and VAT around £150. May find an independent will do it for less using non genuine parts.
Santa Fe Auto towing Swift Archway+ Auto & manual Picanto's, Sorento Auto now gone
gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by BIRDMAN BIRDMAN wrote:

A total guess for main dealer with genuine parts, but probably parts labour and VAT around £150. May find an independent will do it for less using non genuine parts.

I'm fairly sure I saw a price that was several hundred for the dealer to do the job on an i20 - £400 springs to mind!?!

Then again they wanted £80 to change the blower motor relay on the Ce'ed and it cost me a fiver for another one at the scrappy and takes all of five minutes to do the job.
Gary0679 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary0679 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by 2010Missbear 2010Missbear wrote:

I have an 09 plate C'eed 1.6CRDi LS 5dr with 82500 miles (last serviced in July 2017 year @ 77k). A few weeks ago while driving I had an issue with the vehicle going into "limp home" mode. The following day - the car worked perfectly.

In the last few days, while driving on a dual carriage way and accelerating the vehicle has "flatlined" and then I've lost all power. Ive managed to coast to a layby and after switching the car off and waiting for 5 or so minutes, the car has started again and run fine. This has happened 3 times in the last three days but not every time I make a journey.

Ive looked up the symptoms and Ive been advised to try and have the fuel filter changed and check the coolant but no-one (Halfords or my local kia dealer) seems to want to give me a estimate to complete the replacement.

I only want a rough idea at what I should be looking at spending. Can anyone give me an idea.

I've just finished having a chat with a mate of mine. He's the co-owner of a highly rated local independent garage here in Ripon.
 On his system a fuel filter replacement on your model, including an OEM spec filter, labour and VAT is £46.76

EDIT: And that doesn't even include mates rates Wink

Edited by Gary0679 - 10 Jan 2018 at 4:45pm
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:44am
That sounds very reasonable indeed!
quicksilver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 7:23pm
If anyone else is still interested, my local garage quoted me £55. My wife had the same problem. In sub zero overnight temperatures, car would die when trying to accelerate on to dual carriageway scaring the life out of her and other traffic. Interestingly the garage owner also owns a Kia (Sorento I think) and changes his fuel filter more often than stipulated because of the exact same problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic