FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Fuel Consumption - too high?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Seedy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seedy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Consumption - too high?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:31am
I've done my own fuel consumption test and monitored fuel consumption whilst driving generally and think (don't we all) that I'm not getting the mpg figures I want from my 2011 Cee'd 1.6 CRD engine.

My own test was to drive at 60mph for an hour with no ancillaries on, the windows closed and no extra load other than a full tank of fuel. I always keep my tyre pressures at the manufacturer's recommended pressure and I'm not a heavy footed driver. I got just over 39mpg, which seemed very low.  Kia says the emissions tests show normal running of the vehicle.

Kia has given me the figures of urban 39.8; extra urban 55.4 and combined 48.7mpg for my car. The car has completed about 50,000 miles now.

Has anyone any experience or expectations for fuel consumption?
Sponsored Links

ratboiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratboiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 1:40pm
What!!!
I have a 1.6 diesel turbo 2008 with 256k miles, and have been monitoring it for a while now, I assume yours is Auto with those figures.

Around town sticking to the speed limits it is showing 48mpg average, and goes down slightly on that if I am doing short shopping trips.
Long runs down the motorway it goes to 58 to 63mpg while at around 48mph
Hope this helps.
Ceedy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 1:40pm
I'm afraid Cee'd mpg is not that good. My 2011 SW 1.6crdi auto does low-mid 40s at best, mid-high 30s if pushed a bit. Disappointing after C5 Citroens (1.6 & 2.0 hdi manuals) typically did 50mpg.

Had my Kia a year now, covered 30k miles and happy with it in most respects (comfort, reliability, like the design and spec), so hope your mpg expectations weren't the main reason you got yours. Smile
Seedy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seedy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I forgot to mention it but it is an auto box! I guess that's where the problem is.  It was an ex-'Motability' scheme purchase, hence the auto box (not out of choice).  It only had 19,500 miles on a three-year-old car so I was lured in but I'm paying the price for fuel now!  On cruise control for long runs on French motorways, it will sneak up to the low fifties but that's the best that I've ever got!

The car is good otherwise and I enjoy the higher spec stuff on the '3' that I have such as cruise control, alloys, climate control etc.
mcsport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
Sounds about right for a Ceed Auto.

The impact depends on how many miles you do and what your previous Car would do.
10K/Year is about £30/Month difference from 35mpg to 45mpg (My 2008 115Bhp Ceed figure)

Mpg is not linear
20 vs 25 is about £45/Month.

Enjoy the Car Smile
smellmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smellmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 4:58pm
It's still poor. I've got a 1.6 CRDI pro cee'd manual which gets an easy 50-53mpg and mid 40's round town and a 1.7 CRDI optima 2 auto that gets an easy 50mpg and low to mid 40's on shorter journeys.
Previous: 58 Kia Pro Cee'd 3 04 Saab 93 2.2 TiD Arc, 02 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive, 51 BMW 320td, 52 Vectra 3.2 V6 GSi, 99 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi, 95 Nissan Primera 2.0 LX, 89/86 Nissan Bluebird 1.6 LX
rotoq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotoq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:37am
My Kia 2011 Pro Cee'd 1.6 VR-7 regularly gets 53-60mpg. I've never owned an auto so not sure how much that is responsible.
gtd2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtd2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:13pm
Auto for some reason seems to knock quite a chunk of mileage off.

Over in the USA many new cars that are automatic, actually get better official mpg than their manual variants?

My 1.6SW gets mid 50's running around but I've seen it close to 50 with more frequent short journeys.

Did the North Coast 500 last autumn and achieved 64mpg fur the entire journey.

Best I've recorded has been 67mpg when I picked the car up in September.

MPG will vary wildly, depending on driving style and conditions.
ArthurCollins2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurCollins2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:27pm
It could be worse, on a 4 mile round trip an hour ago, I got just 22.4mpg in my ceed gt. Most of that was 30mph average cameras all the way so pootling along in 5th!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic