FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Kia Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Kia Forum, we have forums for each Kia Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

First Service Sportage 1.7D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cornish Dave44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornish Dave44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Service Sportage 1.7D
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
Looking for some thoughts. Had my car in for it's 12 month check today and in addition to the checks required by Kia Lookers did what they call a Health Check. It came out OK apart from the battery which they suggested needs an overnight charge. They did say if I left the vehicle with them they would do this overnight, but I would then have the problem of getting home and back in to the garage.

I never had this issue with my previous Sportage even though I admit I do a very low mileage particularly in the Winter. The Stop/Start system works as per normal and I thought this would not work if the battery charge was low? I think if I need to have it charged I need to leave it with a local garage so that I can walk back home. They did wave a piece of paper around with the following printed on it -

Volts 12,59U
Measured 767CCA
Rating 800CCA
Also a small graph showing a line around 40% up from the bottom mark.

This is Chinese to me anybody understand it? Would taking it on a 100 mile spin down the A! have the same effect in recharging the battery. I know nothing about the workings of cars any experts out there got any thoughts?
2013 - 2016 Kia Sportage 2 1.7 Silver Storm
2016 -      Kia Sportage 3 1.7 Gun Metal
Sponsored Links

Signman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Signman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:14pm
I found a site suggesting 12.6 volts with no loading at room temperature indicates a fuly charged battery, so your 12.59 is pretty much there.
Also, 767CCA measured of 800CCa is about 96%.

I just deduce this from http://www.knowyourparts.com/testing-automotive-batteries-starters/ so if your ISG works then I think there is no need for an overnight charge.
2016 Sportage '4' 1.7crdi Gun Metal - From 13.4.16 Lovin' it. 31k miles covered ave 46mpg
2014 Sportage Black Edition 1.7crdi 25.7.14-13.4.16. 37k+ enjoyable miles covered, averaging 48mpg.
Cornish Dave44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornish Dave44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:42pm
Thanks Signman, after leaving the garage tonight the ISG worked normally on three separate occasions, which had me wondering what can be wrong with the battery.
2013 - 2016 Kia Sportage 2 1.7 Silver Storm
2016 -      Kia Sportage 3 1.7 Gun Metal
Blinkie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
probably needed a overnight loan car for a customer Tongue
Techy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:40pm
Can anybody advise me on how to remove the boot side panels ( interior ) on a 2017 Sportage 3 please.
Sheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Techy Techy wrote:

Can anybody advise me on how to remove the boot side panels ( interior ) on a 2017 Sportage 3 please.

Combination of clips and screws. Never done a Sportage but it should be reasonably obvious what needs to come off once you are in there.
If you're planning on doing much stuff on your car then a copy of the factory service manual, £10 eBay, is worth its weight in gold. I have them for my Kia's and find them very useful.
Techy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:08pm
I agree, but as the vehicle is 2017 I cant see anybody is going to produce one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic